Are rest days necessary for me?

Options
I've recently started going to the gym again after having to cancel my membership for a year or so, due to the fact that gyms are freaking expensive in my city.

Generally, my routine consists of 30-45 minutes of cardio each visit, and then I rotate which muscle groups I'm targeting. I do back & biceps, chest & triceps, then legs & shoulders, so it's a 3 day rotation. (I'm kind of aiming for a full-body toning routine at the moment, as I still have about 20-25 pounds I'd like to lose.)

I'm having trouble figuring out if it's necessary for me to take rest days from my strength training on this routine. Since I'm targeting different muscles and rotating them every 3 days, are my rest days kind of built in?

I want to do whatever's healthiest and most effective. I love strength training and I'm not a fan of cardio (it's so boring), but I will take the occasional break from my weights if it's what's best for my body.

Any advice welcome!

(Friends are welcome also. I'm not new to MFP as a calorie-tracking service, but I'm new to the community!)

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I've decided to stop calling it a "rest" day and call it a "repair" day. Your body needs a break from that activity in order to repair itself and for you to get the best results.
    Overtraining can lead to not even wanting to go to the gym. You could even do 1 day of extended stretching or yoga and have an off day.
    You're saying you have rest days built in, but really you don't. You're still asking other body parts to assist you when you do the lifts and then all of your body is moving during cardio.

Food for thought.

I prefer weights to cardio, too!

• punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes! Muscle needs to repair. Also, switch to compound lifts. Look into a program like starting strength or strong lifts. You'll do more faster than if your isolating.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you're working out 3 out of 7 days a week, the other 4 days are considered rest days.

Usually it's considered better not to do cardio on strength training days especially 30-45 minutes worth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Regardless of whether you're doing a split or full body routine, you need actual rest for repair and recovery.

I only lift 3x weekly and I ride my bike for cardio on non-lifting days (and earlier in the day on two of my lifting days)...I still take a full days rest and sometimes two days if I'm really starting to feel worn down...not that I sit around and do nothing but I don't lift and I don't get on my bike or do anything even moderately stressful on my body...I let it rest and repair itself.

Rest and repair is just as important as the actual work. Look at it as part of your routine...and essential part of your routine.
  • mccoybrah
    Options
    You break tissues in gym, it repairs with double speed during rest. More you rest, more it repairs so yea it is necessary and have seperate days for cardio and weights if possible.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If you're working out 3 out of 7 days a week, the other 4 days are considered rest days.

Usually it's considered better not to do cardio on strength training days especially 30-45 minutes worth.

Wat?

• punchgut
    Options

Not true. Do cardio after lifting, not before. Then have a rest day. Make sure you fit two rest days in a row once a week. Think MWF schedule. Doing cardio on rest days from lifting is counter productive. Your muscles need to repair.

Now, cardio will be counter productive if you're really trying to gain massive strength; but I doubt that is what the OP is concerned about.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    punchgut wrote: »

Not true. Do cardio after lifting, not before. Then have a rest day. Make sure you fit two rest days in a row once a week. Think MWF schedule. Doing cardio on rest days from lifting is counter productive. Your muscles need to repair.

Now, cardio will be counter productive if you're really trying to gain massive strength; but I doubt that is what the OP is concerned about.

That's why I said, "Usually it's considered better not to.." in my sentence. ;) Of course you could. Depends on your goals.
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Make sure you fit two rest days in a row once a week. Think MWF schedule. Doing cardio on rest days from lifting is counter productive. Your muscles need to repair.

So, if I'm doing my strength training Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I'm supposed to do no cardio at all on the other days?

I work a desk job, and not the kind where I can really get up and move/do squats/take walks throughout the day; I'm essentially tied to my desk. I feel a little uncomfortable with the idea of not doing at least a moderately intense cardio session 5 or 6 days a week, since I move so little for 10 or so hours a day (my work day plus my commute). I feel like a slug or something if I don't get in a little movement. :/
    mccoybrah wrote: »
    You break tissues in gym, it repairs with double speed during rest. More you rest, more it repairs so yea it is necessary and have seperate days for cardio and weights if possible.

I should maybe be clearer about my current goals - I'm aiming to lose 20-25 pounds right now, and the strength training is just a means of making everything a little tighter and leaner while the weight comes off. I'm not going for major strength right now, and maybe I never will.

I've heard that when you're doing major lifting, you shouldn't do cardio on those days, but I didn't think that really applied to my situation. Does it? I'm a newbie to the fitness world, just trying to get my facts straight.
    Yes! Muscle needs to repair. Also, switch to compound lifts. Look into a program like starting strength or strong lifts. You'll do more faster than if your isolating.

I like this idea, thank you! I'll check those programs out. I'm really just doing what I'm doing because a few friends and relatives have told me to do so, which admittedly is not the greatest basis for a fitness routine.
  • punchgut
    Options
    emilyesq wrote: »
    Make sure you fit two rest days in a row once a week. Think MWF schedule. Doing cardio on rest days from lifting is counter productive. Your muscles need to repair.

So, if I'm doing my strength training Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I'm supposed to do no cardio at all on the other days?

I work a desk job, and not the kind where I can really get up and move/do squats/take walks throughout the day; I'm essentially tied to my desk. I feel a little uncomfortable with the idea of not doing at least a moderately intense cardio session 5 or 6 days a week, since I move so little for 10 or so hours a day (my work day plus my commute). I feel like a slug or something if I don't get in a little movement. :/

I should maybe be clearer about my current goals - I'm aiming to lose 20-25 pounds right now, and the strength training is just a means of making everything a little tighter and leaner while the weight comes off. I'm not going for major strength right now, and maybe I never will.

I've heard that when you're doing major lifting, you shouldn't do cardio on those days, but I didn't think that really applied to my situation. Does it? I'm a newbie to the fitness world, just trying to get my facts straight.

I like this idea, thank you! I'll check those programs out. I'm really just doing what I'm doing because a few friends and relatives have told me to do so, which admittedly is not the greatest basis for a fitness routine.

The compound lifts will "make everything a little tighter and leaner" a bit faster and better. You'll see better fat loss but not necessarily scale weight loss (see this and this). Don't get tied to numbers. It's much better to take measurements and pictures. That way you can witness and have a metric. There is also a women's lifting community on MFP. Seek out advice. I did for my wife and their are some awesome women with lots of knowledge and advice. Check out http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Also, Staci has a lifting 101 for beginners over at nerdfitness.

On rest days go for an uptempo walk (4 mph for an hour), but if you're pounding the cardio you will not be allowing the muscles to repair. Walking is a great way to promote fat loss because you do not force your body into using glycogen stores.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

The advice inthread isn't all clear.

As your objectives are pretty generic I'd suggest that you go with the general advice to separate your CV and resistance training, though if you want to do CV on lifting days as well then move it to later in your session.

Your CV work is giving you the deficit, improving stamina and CV health, the resistance training is helping to retain lean mass and strength, so they're pretty complementary.

Doing CV and resistance work on the same day isn't a huge issue, but it is worth doing the resistance first, in part so that you're not lifting on already fatigued muscles and in part around allowing yourself space to develop. To retain the effects of resistance training you do need to keep increasing the load on your system.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

The compound lifts will "make everything a little tighter and leaner" a bit faster and better. You'll see better fat loss but not necessarily scale weight loss (see this and this). Don't get tied to numbers. It's much better to take measurements and pictures. That way you can witness and have a metric. There is also a women's lifting community on MFP. Seek out advice. I did for my wife and their are some awesome women with lots of knowledge and advice. Check out http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

On rest days go for an uptempo walk (4 mph for an hour), but if you're pounding the cardio you will not be allowing the muscles to repair. Walking is a great way to promote fat loss because you do not force your body into using glycogen stores.

Which is true but what is better for fat loss. Losing more fat calories or overall calorie burn?

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Incorporate more movement into your day - it really IS possible. An hour of intense cardio in no way "makes up" for 10-12 hours of sitting. And on your recovery days, walking is great - doesn't seem to get in the way of muscle and other tissue repair. Having lived through decades of "sit-down" jobs, I found incorporating simple practices helpful, like using stairs rather than elevator, getting off the transit a stop sooner and walking the rest of the way (or parking at a distance), using the rest room two or three floors away, going for a walk during any breaks, standing up and pacing during phone calls~
  • emilyesq
    Options

I do take measurements, and that's really what matters to me, but the scale number changes more frequently and keeps me on track. I'm working on relying more on the measuring tape than the scale.

My short term goal is a specific dress that I bought a few years ago when i was 10-15 pounds lighter than this. Long term, I guess I'll have to get a smaller dress. :)

I like the look of nerdfitness, I'm reading some of their articles now.

Would low-resistance elliptical/crossfit be the same as an uptempo walk? Walking is harder for me because of the impact on an ankle injury from a few years back.
    Doing CV and resistance work on the same day isn't a huge issue, but it is worth doing the resistance first, in part so that you're not lifting on already fatigued muscles and in part around allowing yourself space to develop. To retain the effects of resistance training you do need to keep increasing the load on your system.

Oh man, doing weights before cardio is going to be tough. Usually the only thing that gets me through my cardio is the idea that I get to do the fun weight training afterwards. But that's a change I'm willing to make.
    maxit wrote: »
    Incorporate more movement into your day - it really IS possible. An hour of intense cardio in no way "makes up" for 10-12 hours of sitting. And on your recovery days, walking is great - doesn't seem to get in the way of muscle and other tissue repair. Having lived through decades of "sit-down" jobs, I found incorporating simple practices helpful, like using stairs rather than elevator, getting off the transit a stop sooner and walking the rest of the way (or parking at a distance), using the rest room two or three floors away, going for a walk during any breaks, standing up and pacing during phone calls~

I'm a receptionist, in charge of operating a switchboard. My boss has security cameras that she likes to watch for a disconcerting amount of the day, and I'm not permitted to leave my desk unoccupied. My lunch breaks are covered by another employee, who also has to cover my desk if I need to go to the bathroom or get a drink. The other employee has to be taken away from her own work in order to cover me, it's all very awkward and guilt-inducing.

I do try to move as much as I can (and the employee parking lot is a fair distance from the building, so I do get a small walk, uphill on the way back, before and after work). I stand as much as I can and try to... fidget, I guess. I also walk outside during my lunch breaks when it's not snowy or icy outside. So I'm not totally desk-bound the entire day, but it still never feels like enough, you know?

I know my doing cardio doesn't make up for my lack of movement throughout the day, and I'm not saying it does, but it must be better than nothing...?
  • DrDeanChiro
    DrDeanChiro Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need to rest...3 days on one day off...listen to your body...you can tell when you have more in the tank or if you're running on empty. If you always have more in the tank after a workout than you're not hitting it hard enough...but you must rest!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Would low-resistance elliptical/crossfit be the same as an uptempo walk? Walking is harder for me because of the impact on an ankle injury from a few years back.

loads of people do cardio on non-lifting days. doing some elliptical would be fine...i wouldn't do crossfit in between lifting sessions as it is a pretty rigorous activity and also involves lifting elements...you don't want it to be crazy vigorous...but if there was some hard and fast rule that you couldn't do anything more than a walk on non-lifting days, I'd never accomplish any of my goals and I haven't found it to be a determent to my lifting performance either provided I'm getting proper nutrition and taking my rest days.

Really, it depends on your goals...when I was bulking i the fall and early part of winter I kept cardio to a minimum to optimize repair and optimize my body's use of energy (calories) to build muscle and gain strength.

As a matter of my general fitness regimen I train in the weight room 3x weekly...i'm pretty much an Oly lifter and do other lifting exercises in support of that...and I still ride about 80 - 100 miles per week...which obviously means I'm riding on non-lifting days as well as on lifting days. I make sure I take 1 rest day per week and sometimes 2...actually, it pretty much ends up working out to taking 2 rest days every couple of weeks...so I often have one week with 1 rest day and the next will have 2..then 1...then 2. This keeps me pretty fresh.
  • emilyesq
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

loads of people do cardio on non-lifting days. doing some elliptical would be fine...i wouldn't do crossfit in between lifting sessions as it is a pretty rigorous activity and also involves lifting elements...you don't want it to be crazy vigorous...but if there was some hard and fast rule that you couldn't do anything more than a walk on non-lifting days, I'd never accomplish any of my goals and I haven't found it to be a determent to my lifting performance either provided I'm getting proper nutrition and taking my rest days.

Really, it depends on your goals...when I was bulking i the fall and early part of winter I kept cardio to a minimum to optimize repair and optimize my body's use of energy (calories) to build muscle and gain strength.

As a matter of my general fitness regimen I train in the weight room 3x weekly...i'm pretty much an Oly lifter and do other lifting exercises in support of that...and I still ride about 80 - 100 miles per week...which obviously means I'm riding on non-lifting days as well as on lifting days. I make sure I take 1 rest day per week and sometimes 2...actually, it pretty much ends up working out to taking 2 rest days every couple of weeks...so I often have one week with 1 rest day and the next will have 2..then 1...then 2. This keeps me pretty fresh.

Oh, I don't mean like a crossfit routine, I mean one of these machines: http://www.technogym.com/img/net/prodotti/crossmg71.jpg My gym has a few of them, and I kind of prefer the motion to elliptical, it feels like biking while standing up. They're my favourite cardio machines at my gym. Some of them are called Crossfit and some are called Cross Trainers. I'm not sure what their actual name is.

There's definitely no bulking happening here at the moment. Doing cardio 5 or 6 days a week helps keep me motivated and eating within my calorie goal. 1 or 2 rest days I can do - usually I take Sundays off anyway. I just don't want to cut my cardio down to just a couple days a week, I'd be afraid I'd fall off the wagon completely, being as easily distracted as I am.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You're doing upper body exercises every day, so there will be some overlap and working the same muscles too often is counterproductive. I do back/biceps on Day 1, chest/shoulders/triceps on Day 2, legs/core on Day 3, then once a week I'll do a yoga/recovery day. This gets me at least 2 days rest per muscle group, which I think is ideal. I also do about 30-45 minutes of moderate cardio every day. But I'm also more focused on losing fat and less on gaining muscle right now. When I want to gain muscle I lift 3 days a week and eat more.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    recovery days essential.
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Recovery days are awesome...necessary laziness...
    Sometimes I feel bad about being a slug on rest days. If you have time after work, you could do gentle yoga, or take a 30 minute walk (weather permitting).