Sodium!

Options
My sodium intake is always high! What can I eat to keep it low? I am always over my limit. I eat lots of fresh veggies now and some fruit, I try to eat low carb and high protein and lower fat. Not sure if it is the lunch meat I eat but it all seems to add up so fast. Anyone else have problems with this?

Replies

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Any processed food tends to have high sodium.....just set your diary so you can see the sodium when you add each meal and you will see where it is coming from. spaghetti sauce, lunch meat, soy sauce, most condiments, anything packaged.....I find the best way to avoid it is to eat unpackaged foods.....beans, fruits, veggies
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    The best way to keep your sodium intake under your limit is to eat fresher ingredients. Generally, anything processed (canned goods, boxed foods, frozen foods, packaged foods, fast food, and definitely lunch meat) will be higher in sodium. The salt is used to preserve the shelf life of the product, and for me, it adds flavor. :) Again, to keep the sodium down, you'll have to learn to eat strategically. In the meantime, drink tons of water if you're not doing that already.

Wishing you the best!
  • troutrouter
    Options
    As for a good low sodium, high protein food, Bumblebee Very Low Sodium White Albacore is good if you like tuna. I limit my sodium to under 1500mg daily due to health reasons and accomplish it by reading labels. To be labeled "low sodium" the item needs to contain 140mg or less per serving.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I will just have to read the labels more next time I get groceries. I do drink tons of water and I sweat some sodium out but I still feel I am getting too much sodium
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I usually feel more bloated and retaining if my sodium is exceeded despite the 16-20 glasses of water consumed daily. Avoid as stated above pre-packaged & canned foods as the preservatives and sodium to keep them fresh are through the roof! Same as when you go out to eat at most quick eat places. Opt for fresh veggies & if that is not an option or for an alternative convenience, frozen without sauces is the next best option. I too avoid most condiments and look at the labels extremely carefully. Most condiments or dressings are sodium time bombs. I usually opt for a horseradish mustard or for a preferred dressing, oil and red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. Same goes for meats. Try to eat fresh meats sliced for sandwiches or as leftovers rather than packaged. Otherwise, you can opt for low sodium versions but they are still extremely high.
  • jennbo83
    jennbo83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Lunch meat always has a lot of sodium in it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    My sodium intake is always high! What can I eat to keep it low? I am always over my limit. I eat lots of fresh veggies now and some fruit, I try to eat low carb and high protein and lower fat. Not sure if it is the lunch meat I eat but it all seems to add up so fast. Anyone else have problems with this?

Lunch meat will certainly do it. I'd suggest roasting and slicing meat to use for sandwiches, instead of buying it from the deli. My husband has hypertension and has to watch sodium, but loves sandwiches, so this is what I do for him.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water and don't bother tracking sodium, unless you're a heart patient there's really no need, and even then the research is lacking.

Rigger