Trouble Losing Weight: too few calories?

Options
I've been going strong with the weight loss thing for about 8 weeks now. I've lost 10 pounds, which is an awesome start. I have another 100 to go!

For the past couple weeks, I haven't been able to lose anything. In fact, I am yo-yoing the same 5 pounds around. I realize this 5lbs is most likely water weight. However, I did start a hormonal birth control 6 weeks ago to help with hormonal problems, and it's possible that the gain is legitimate.

At this point, I am feeling pretty discouraged. I continue to eat within my calories, and am seeing no results. I wonder if my caloric intake has anything to do with it? I am currently shooting for 1200 calories a day (except for once a week, which is a day I don't usually log), with a maximum of 1400. One of the doctors I work with said this is the best way to lose weight for someone who is obese.

Is it possible that I'm just eating too few calories? I've heard so many pieces of advice on the topic of calories, that I'm not sure what way I should be leaning. I just want to see some progress!

Replies

• Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Have you allowed MFP to calculate your intake for you? Many of us have had success using their calculations. My goal starts at 1200 and I earn more calories when I work out, etc. I am currently 125 pounds. I hope that helps!
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    if you eat too few calories, what will happen is you will lose muscle mass

I'd say you are eating far too few calories, best bet is to have a chat with your doctor, your body needs a minimum of calories to function

using myfitnesspal and entering my details and losing at the max recommended weight of 2lbs, my recommended calorie intake is 1820 calories per day and that is with light activity
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am currently shooting for 1200 calories a day (except for once a week, which is a day I don't usually log), with a maximum of 1400.

Always always always log, I am betting that is your problem. If you are eating whatever you want then it is totally possible you are erasing all the deficit your created all week long.

Also read:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide#latest

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think you should log on that one day off and see just how much you are eating. If it's way over, that would erase any deficit and you would have no loss.

edit: I posted too slow...I see someone else has suggested the same :wink:
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    from everything I keep reading on here, it seems as though doctors are clueless as to what it takes to lose weight and they all just pull out that 1200 calorie number. A medical degree is not necessary to give it so little thought. See a nutritionist, not a doctor if you are planning to take professional advice on this.

I never stalled due to eating too little, just kept losing weight, so I'm going with that not being a real cause for stalling. It also doesn't make much sense that not eating enough would truly make someone stall for life. Need food to create mass.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell from your post if the day you do not log your max is 1400 or you don't log because you are way over. I will tell you, one cheat day can kill your diet. I don't believe you are eating too little. You are probably eating too much and not logging or weighing accurately. If you are truly staying between 1200-1400 cals/day, you will absolutley lose weight, though it is too low for someone your age/weight.
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell from your post if the day you do not log your max is 1400 or you don't log because you are way over. I will tell you, one cheat day can kill your diet. I don't believe you are eating too little. You are probably eating too much and not logging or weighing accurately. If you are truly staying between 1200-1400 cals/day, you will absolutley lose weight, though it is too low for someone your age/weight.

I keep it under 2k on the cheat day. The past few weeks I've logged it. We usually eat out out that one night a week for dinner, but the rest of my day stays pretty normal.

Maybe a food scale is in my future. :/

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, if you were eating too few calories, you would probably still be losing weight. (Note that I am not advocating eating too few calories!) However, you did mention that you have some level of hormonal imbalance--that can definitely have an effect on your weight loss efforts. Also, there is the matter of not tracking an entire day--you *think* you're not going over, but there is no way to be sure without tracking. Tighten up your tracking (don't underestimate your intake), log everyday, don't overestimate your calorie burn from exercise, and the weight should continue to come off. If it doesn't, then check in with your doctor about the hormone thing.
  • farfromthetree
    edited February 2015
    Options

I keep it under 2k on the cheat day. The past few weeks I've logged it. We usually eat out out that one night a week for dinner, but the rest of my day stays pretty normal.

Maybe a food scale is in my future. :/

^ My gosh yes!! It is KEY!! Focus on teaching yourself how to log and weigh everything as accurately as possible! When I was in weight loss mode I didn't allow myself to have a cheat meal once a week. I would treat myself every 8 or 9 pounds. This could be what is hurting you!!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    "Maybe a food scale is in my future. :/ "

A food scale should definitely be in your future! It doesn't have to be expensive. And digital is maybe a bit less hassle. Get whatever you like. It takes a bit of adjusting to, at first, but I promise it gets easier.

And it's *so much better* because you'll be eating what you think you're eating, so there will be a lot less frustration.

Agree with others about the 1200 -- do what MFP thinks. There's no, like, magic number that is good for "someone who is obese." And actually, the more you weigh, the more you can eat and still lose at a good clip!

Someone posted this the other day and I thought it was a really great example of what a food scale could do for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

A food scale should definitely be in your future! It doesn't have to be expensive. And digital is maybe a bit less hassle. Get whatever you like. It takes a bit of adjusting to, at first, but I promise it gets easier.

And it's *so much better* because you'll be eating what you think you're eating, so there will be a lot less frustration.

Agree with others about the 1200 -- do what MFP thinks. There's no, like, magic number that is good for "someone who is obese." And actually, the more you weigh, the more you can eat and still lose at a good clip!

Someone posted this the other day and I thought it was a really great example of what a food scale could do for you:

It's possible that this post will offend.

I never wanted to be THAT girl. The one micromanaging every grain of rice I put in my mouth? And yet I kind of feel like I have to be.

I watched my mom get weight loss surgery, lose 150, and put it all back on and then some within a couple years. She had the same mentality of one bite doesn't matter. Until one bite of chocolate became the whole box, twice a week.

I don't want to be THAT girl either. I want to lose the 100 I put on with motherhood and grad school. I've done well with some things like giving up soda (I was at more than a liter a day), cutting out most snacking that consisted of processed crap, watching my sugar intake. But something isn't working and when I get on a plane in September I don't want to have to ask for the seat belt extender.

I like to think I'm being honest I'm what I'm eating but I'm an eye baller. Maybe I need to become a hardcore measurer.
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wow,great video - thanks!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I never wanted to be THAT girl. The one micromanaging every grain of rice I put in my mouth? And yet I kind of feel like I have to be.

I watched my mom get weight loss surgery, lose 150, and put it all back on and then some within a couple years. She had the same mentality of one bite doesn't matter. Until one bite of chocolate became the whole box, twice a week.

I don't want to be THAT girl either. I want to lose the 100 I put on with motherhood and grad school. I've done well with some things like giving up soda (I was at more than a liter a day), cutting out most snacking that consisted of processed crap, watching my sugar intake. But something isn't working and when I get on a plane in September I don't want to have to ask for the seat belt extender.

I like to think I'm being honest I'm what I'm eating but I'm an eye baller. Maybe I need to become a hardcore measurer.

I know it's different for everyone, but personally I found a food scale kind of freeing. It's a lot less hassle than I thought it would be, I have fewer dishes and such than I did when using measuring cups, and I know what my portion size is at a glance when I scoop something into my bowl. Eyeballing works great for some people and I recognize that food scales aren't fir everyone. But they can be a useful tool to check up on and/or calibrate your eyeballing skills when things aren't going well.
  • farfromthetree
    Options

That was such a heartfelt message...and I get it. In the beginning it sounds crazy to log everything.
    I can tell you for me, it is he best thing I have ever done for myself. I have never been happier and feeling more in control. I was overweight for 20 years, I never want to go back. No more high sugar levels, no more high blood pressure and I have a very healthy resting heart rate where before it was very high.
    It literally takes me 2 minutes to log each meal, I spend much more time doing stupid things like FB. So, I owe that to myself.
    I got fat eating "healthy" foods. I just ate too much!! good luck with what you decide but I dont regret it and will do it probably for the rest of my life!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

I know it's different for everyone, but personally I found a food scale kind of freeing. It's a lot less hassle than I thought it would be, I have fewer dishes and such than I did when using measuring cups, and I know what my portion size is at a glance when I scoop something into my bowl. Eyeballing works great for some people and I recognize that food scales aren't fir everyone. But they can be a useful tool to check up on and/or calibrate your eyeballing skills when things aren't going well.

It's quite possible that whether or not I WANT to, I actually NEED to.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

That was such a heartfelt message...and I get it. In the beginning it sounds crazy to log everything.
    I can tell you for me, it is he best thing I have ever done for myself. I have never been happier and feeling more in control. I was overweight for 20 years, I never want to go back. No more high sugar levels, no more high blood pressure and I have a very healthy resting heart rate where before it was very high.
    It literally takes me 2 minutes to log each meal, I spend much more time doing stupid things like FB. So, I owe that to myself.
    I got fat eating "healthy" foods. I just ate too much!! good luck with what you decide but I dont regret it and will do it probably for the rest of my life!

I think it's worth a try. I'm young... approaching 24. The older I get the harder it will be to lose. I'm 300lbs. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking it's okay to be fat, that it doesn't matter. I want to be healthy for them.

It just so happens that today is payday. Sounds like I'm shopping for a food scale after I get back from from my run.

While my health has always been good I imagine, sooner or later, it wont. You're right. We are worth 2 minutes :)
  • rgplayer
    rgplayer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yea measuring is the best way honestly, it sucks at first but it eventually becomes habit. If you were extremely over weight like I was then pretty much any healthier diet change would trigger weight loss, but it gets to a point where eye balling just doesn't work as good anymore.
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    nice video, I'm going to show it at home. I do weigh and measure, and sometimes it gets a bit annoying, but it is important if I want to be healthy. Moderation in all things.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    . I'm 300lbs. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking it's okay to be fat, that it doesn't matter. I want to be healthy for them.

It just so happens that today is payday. Sounds like I'm shopping for a food scale after I get back from from my run.

While my health has always been good I imagine, sooner or later, it wont. You're right. We are worth 2 minutes :)

I find that very admirable, I can tell you personally that since I started this journey I have pin pointed several habits that helped me get to my 240lbs self, and I now realize that I have them all in common with my overweight mother. And my normal weight father never had those habits....huh. Its amazing the little things we pick up and don't even realize it.

Also, don't feel like you have to put out a bunch of money for a food scale. I got mine at wal-mart for like $12 and it has done a great job and lasted 2 years. I am sure you can find a super fancy 100$ model if you want but its just not necessary if you are on a budget. Definitely go digital though, its just easier :smile: