Hashimotos Disease and Nutrition

Options
2»

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos, and as a result, somewhat reduced nutrient uptake from food due to decreased stomach acid. As a result, I take a few vitamin supplements based on both vitamin panels drawn by my doctor and sciency-reading:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23046013

I take a selenium supplement, D (low blood test), potassium (low on blood test), magnesium (for better uptake of potassium), fish oil (balancing cholesterol levels based on blood test), and I need B12 by injection (ALL THE BLOOD TESTS ALL THE TIME. THE LAB HAS MORE OF MY BLOOD THAN I DO.), because I also have pernicious anemia. And I always, always take my thyroid (levothyroxine) at the same time every morning.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Also, I notice that the insulin resistance I experience at higher weights goes away and makes it possible for me to eat on an intermittent fasting schedule (rather than every 4 hours, because I'm HANGRY) once I have started losing weight. I think I generally get the fastest response from light, daily cardio like walking, but that is anecdotal and may not be the same for you.
  • countrymaster
    Options
    75% Carbohydrates. 15% Fat. 10% Protein. From nutritional tools for Diabetes by Julian Whitaker.