strengthening vastus medialis

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
Aside from hitting up the adductor machine, what else would be good to strengthen the vastus medialis? Doc wants me to hit that for a while to work on these knee issues.

Replies

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Only things I know of work more than just that specific part of the quad but lunges, leg extension and leg press definitely work them.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    sumo squats, side lunges, Fire hydrants, and side leg kicks.
    Screen-Shot-2014-11-14-at-7.12.11-PM1.png
    Keep this hollow body position, move your legs slightly higher, and open in a V. If you have a resistance band it helps to do quick, fast, open and close in a v.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Hack squats with feet closer together, leg extensions with toes turned out, pistol squats.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would think leg extension, leg press and bridges would work the VMO pretty heavily.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    j/k you need one of these.
    0000000829_1.gif
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yes! I need one of those! Lol. Alright, going to hit the duck foot exrensions, adductor. Hacks and pistols would hurt right now I think. Being an idiot, I'm going to try some front squats here too.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Extensions are not happening today.

Damn.
  • septuagint7
    Options
    Leg extensions, wall squats/invisible chair, where you're sitting against the wall at a 90 degree angle - -this burns the quad well.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Leg extensions, wall squats/invisible chair, where you're sitting against the wall at a 90 degree angle - -this burns the quad well.
    Yeah, unfortunately, if I can't do real squats, front or back without significant pain right now, I can't do those.

If I wasn't already doing a program that had some significant squatting in it, I do think that would be a stellar suggestion.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hack squats with feet closer together, leg extensions with toes turned out, pistol squats.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Would it be possible to do hacks without a machine for hacks? So, to add to the story. Been hurting my knee(s) randomly while warming up for squats. This time it was front squat warm up with just the bar, time previous (same knee) it was my 3rd warmup set on backsquats, and the weight was 115.

So, I have to manage the pain, while correcting some imbalances that my doctor feels might be an issue. In this case, he wants me to work my adduction strength.

Why can't this be easy? lol.