How to avoid..

Options
Little injuries, I've had a small issue with my foot (as previously posted) and now there's a recurrent 'niggle' behind my right knee.. Im stretching, but I'm not sure how to aid my recovery working out every day. I do not want to break down when I'm older so I'd rather draw a balance or assist my recovery now before it's too late.

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    What's your stretching routine like? Is it first? Dynamic or static? Are you warm? Do you just try to limber up or are you really pushing for flexibility gains?

I ask because stretching can often cause the small injuries / pain spots / little niggles.
  • Ni_kki
    Ni_kki Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What's your stretching routine like? Is it first? Dynamic or static? Are you warm? Do you just try to limber up or are you really pushing for flexibility gains?

I ask because stretching can often cause the small injuries / pain spots / little niggles.

Stretching is good after your muscles are warm, you can cause injury to your muscles pushing too hard before activity though.

One thing to try to soothe is epsom salt baths.. helps me tons!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What are you actually doing that causes these injuries?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Strengthening your hip muscles/glutes/core, as well as dynamic stretching (like foam rolling, instead of "reach and hold" type stretches), can prevent or limit a whole lot of lower body injuries from running, cardio videos, etc. The myrtl exercises are a useful place to start.

Usually on stretching, the idea is dynamic stretching before a workout, static stretching afterwards. Meta-studies (looking at lots of previous studies) on static stretching show NO damage as long as you hold them for less than a minute, even before you workout, however the benefits are greater for afterwards.

Taking sufficient rest days helps. Increasing time/distance/frequency of workouts slowwwwly helps.