Elliptical or Rower

Options
2»

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I like them both and tend to alternate between them. I echo @sheldonklein in that I often go for the elliptical when I'm not quite up to the rower. The rowing machine totally kicks my butt. On the other hand I can do the elliptical for longer time periods: 40-60 mins vs 20-30 on the rower.

I think the rower is much more boringer than the elliptical personally. I also don't like it that I'm not free to use my hands as needed to scratch, or wipe sweat, or whatever on the rower.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Ah, see, I'm not one who wants to be distracted when I'm exercising. I want to focus on my exercise and put all my effort into it. Watching a movie is for kicking back, not kicking butt, for me.
  • cheflaurawalke
    cheflaurawalke Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    On my strictly cardio days, I do an hour on the rower. It is the best full body cardio machine I have found. I like the eliptical but nothing beats the rower in my opinion. When done correctly your caloric burn is huge and you can feel your arms, core and legs get an amazing workout. Just put your headphones in, turn the music up and do it. I don't go to the gym for entertainment, I go to "leave it all there".
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Zyaedra wrote: »
    I've owned an elliptical, treadmill, and a rower (all at separate times). After about 2 months, both the treadmill and elliptical machines were basically expensive coat racks. Don't get me wrong, they are both fantastic machines, they just didn't hold my interest. The rower (Concept2), on the other hand, holds my interest (it's fun, IMO) and the results have proven to be very rewarding (for me). With the exception of a 3 week (out of town) vacation, I've been rowing on a regular basis since late August.

Why I like the rower over the treadmill and elliptical:
    • The rower REQUIRES the use of my arms AND legs. Because of this, I am seeing results all over my body, not just the upper or lower. I have noticeable muscles in my biceps for the first time ever, too.
    • The "breeze" felt when moving backward and forward is quite rewarding once I start building up a sweat. Also, the air doesn't seem to get stale.
    • I burn more calories on the rower than I did on the others--according to my HRM, I currently average about 660 calories per hour.

I've lost nearly 40 pounds since late August due to a combination of diet (calorie deficit) and exercise (mostly rowing). I think it would benefit you to visit a gym and try out the machines that interest you before you purchase anything. Good luck!

Not that it's a big deal, but an HRM will likely overestimate calorie burn on a rower. You might want to try the calculator on the C 2 website as a comparison. Since you are losing weight, it doesn't mean that much, but if you are interested in the numbers it might be useful.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The min thing about rowing is that it is a different form of exercise and it takes a little more time and skill to master the technique and to develop the muscle endurance to make it most effective. In other words, if you want to row, you have to WANT to row. It's like swimming in that regard.

Because of that, I am always reluctant to push rowing on someone who has never tried it before. Rowing is a great exercise, but I am always more concerned with long-term adherence than esoteric arguments about which type of exercise is "better".

One thing I will say is that financially, rowing is a much better choice IMO. For around $1300, you can get the finest machines made (either Concept 2or Water Rower). You will struggle to find an elliptical in the same price range that is anywhere near the same quality.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This may be beating a dead horse but I will ask anyway. My goal is to lose 50+ lbs. I have a stationary recumbent bike and it can get boring at times. Between an elliptical and a rower which would y'all recommended to burn maximum calories? Thanks in advance.

If you want to lose 50 pounds, then your best best is really not to get either one. Use that money and space to get a bench and some dumbells. That way you can preserve your lean body mass while burning fat.

If your stationary bike is getting boring, then both the elliptical and rower will be probably get boring pretty soon too. Try to vary your exercise routine on the bike. Do HIIT some days on it, while doing longer moderate paces on other days. Or set up an Xbox in front of the bike and play some games while pedaling.

Or even better, start exercising outside.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    The min thing about rowing is that it is a different form of exercise and it takes a little more time and skill to master the technique and to develop the muscle endurance to make it most effective. In other words, if you want to row, you have to WANT to row. It's like swimming in that regard.

Because of that, I am always reluctant to push rowing on someone who has never tried it before. Rowing is a great exercise, but I am always more concerned with long-term adherence than esoteric arguments about which type of exercise is "better".

One thing I will say is that financially, rowing is a much better choice IMO. For around $1300, you can get the finest machines made (either Concept 2or Water Rower). You will struggle to find an elliptical in the same price range that is anywhere near the same quality.

Perfectly stated in my opinion.

Not that it matters but I use a Concept 2 rower 4 days/week and offset with a treadmill for running + high intensity walking 3 days/week. Sprinkling in some simple weight exercises, and I've found my favorite combo that works for me.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Zyaedra wrote: »
    debubbie wrote: »
    I have a Sole E25 elliptical at my house for a quick cardio workout when I don't feel like going to the gym. I typically use the rower (Concept 2) and treadmill when I go to the gym for a cardio workout, but get more of strength workout on the rower than the treadmill. I like that I can adjust incline, resistance level, go backwards to hit different muscles, and work my arms on my elliptical.

I think the bigger selling point for me on the elliptical versus the rower is that I can set my tablet on the elliptical and watch movies or read while I workout, whereas on the rower I can't do this and I get bored fairly quickly! That may be something worth considering.

I imagine that an iPad mount could be fixed to the arm the performance monitor is attached to if someone wanted to watch movies or read on their iPad while rowing :smiley:

It doesn't help for reading (which you can't really do unless you're willing to pause or learn how to row one-handed so you can turn the pages), but for TV / Movies, I just use a regular iPad stand and set it on the floor to one side. Sure, it might not be as convenient as having the TV right in front of me, but it's a no-modifications-necessary solution.
  • MatthewL3382
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I've decided if I purchase one of these it will be an elliptical. I've noticed a few comments about weight training. I do have several dumbbells and free weights. My goal is to lose weight here so am I best to do a full body weight training session twice a week or what? A few years back I was wanting to get stronger so I only did each muscle once a week. I also know that what I want will require less weight with more reps. I just need opinions on frequency to burn this fat and drop the lbs. Thanks again.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you already have a bike, no injuries, rower, hands down.

(I'm no expert on the mechanics or technique, just prefer it. Easier to get into a kind of meditative zone, good headspace to be in. But maybe headspace is not your main criterion. So another reason: most ellipticals just feel awkward.)