Trying to eat <1500 mg of Sodium

Options
It's so hard! I find the most frustrating thing is cooking anything and trying to season things to taste good. What are some tricks ???

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I need a little more fill-in. Words like "anything" and "things" is a little broad. How are you cooking differently than you have before?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I shared this link today. I see you are 22. This is 26 things you should learn to cook in your twenties:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463843521611/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble, I would suggest using recipes instead of trying to do it on your own. Once you make a few dishes that you enjoy you will begin to learn what spices and food parings you like.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    1. Cook in bulk. If you REALLY hate cooking, look up some crockpot recipes and make one of those - eat it for every meal (I'm not kidding, either. It's fine if you make it nutritionally complete). You only have to cook every couple of days that way. Or do a type where you make all the food in one day, over the weekend, and freeze every meal to eat during the week. That works for some folks.

2.For seasoning, look up some homemade seasoning 'packet's. Basically make-your-own taco seasoning, or italian seasoning, that sort of thing. They just add some to your dishes, and they're already set up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    We are used to convenience foods that taste just salt and msg. Home cooked foods will taste strange until you get used to it and learn to cook o:) And it's very difficult to make yummy food from substitutes. Use real ingredients. Whole foods. Don't be afraid of fat. Eat food you like. Eat some food from every food group every day. Balance every meal between the basic tastes sweet, sour, bitter, salty and umami. Compose meals with ingredients of different colors, textures, temperatures. Have some protein (preferably full-fat), starch, and vegetables for every meal. Eat fruit with meals. Eat meals.