30 Days of Yoga Challenge

Options
Hi!

My name is Annaliza and I LOVE yoga! So much so that I teach it several days a week.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a "30 days of yoga challenge" with me. We would be using youtube videos for each of the 30 days so we all do the same routine (or you can mix it up, as long as you do a yoga session a day). I figured we could start March 1st. Maybe start with measuring ourselves to see the results after 30 days (we can look at weight too, but yoga is more body strengthening/conditioning rather than a cardio - its a really great workout!). You don't have to do yoga exclusively, either...this can be a supplement to your regular workout schedule (I run and box, too...starting water aerobics today woot).

Along with the videos, you would have an experienced, certified yoga instructor to help you along (me - 200 RYT - yoga certified) and answer any questions you may have.

Here are the videos that we would use: https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Let me know if you are interested. We start March 1st. I hope that you can join me :smiley:

Replies

• jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi Annaliza.

I was just looking into starting yoga to compliment my running so your suggestion of starting 30 days is great and I would love to join you.

Jus
  • megandhight
    megandhight Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I actually started the 30 days with Adrienne yoga challenge today lol if I had seen your post before hand I would have waited.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am in! I love yoga! For the intense concentration I have for maintaining the poses. I have a blu ray, so I can get youtube right on my tv.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'll be interested in doing it. I am looking to do more yoga for the same reasons as jusbowers
  • LauraGreat
    LauraGreat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I totally want in on this! I'm taking a yoga class in college right now and would really like to start doing it more often. And accountability is something I always need! How do we go about this? Will you just post on this thread...or maybe start a new one?
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I finished this... 9 days ago? I loved it. And I've actually been rotating three of the (lighter) videos on top of my daily pilates routine ever since.

I'd been doing yoga for awhile but was really surprised how beneficial a daily practice was, and how much more quickly I made gains in flexibility and strength, as well as learning more ease and even... grace. And independence! I can freestyle my own practice now (though my transitions are not great off the cuff).

Good luck guys! I can't join because I know some of the videos would be too much right now on top of my other routine -- since it's new, I'm still adjusting. But I might semi-follow and do the ones I think I could, and check out the thread from time to time.
  • cocobongo
    cocobongo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 30 of this today, I started 5th Jan so it hasn't been quite daily but I've loved every minute and my yoga has progressed so much!
  • squidgebob
    squidgebob Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Welcome everyone! I was worried that no one would join me :smiley: Here's what I think we should do for the challenge:

I will start a new thread called something like "The March 30 days of Yoga challenge". Each day, starting March 1st, I will post the youtube video for the day. You can post every day on your progress or at least check in a couple of times a week. You may take measurements of yourself to see your progress, however you'll notice a bigger difference in your practice - you'll be stronger and a lot more flexible by the end of the challenge. Posting daily will give you a "record" of how it felt when you start and how you feel when you end.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that we could do?

Also, please feel free to add me :)

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm in, but I'll be a day behind everyone (I already committed to starting with a friend on Monday).

I already do daily yoga and a weekly class, but I like the idea of a 30 day challenge to shake things up :)
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I lurve me some yoga! Count me in!
  • Shy_Yogi
    Options
    Awesome! So glad to have you guys with us!! And it's ok if you are ahead or behind...yoga is all about your practice...so no worries (or pressure) there :). I will make sure that I'm available if you guys have any questions, too.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    im in! start a group
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I love yoga and this! Maybe we could make a group? Would that be easier?
  • MayPLE33
    MayPLE33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I always love to do yoga. I need routine and discipline :)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    You might want to post this to the yoga group to get more people to join:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1484-generic-yoga-group

Have fun.
  • ARO91
    ARO91 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in just found my love for yoga as I recently joined a yoga studio
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Done. Being from Australia it means its March 1 already
  • SDom81
    SDom81 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm in :)

• Shy_Yogi
    Options
    Welcome everyone!

Today is March 1st so I thought we could get this challenge started.

Some of you suggested a group so I have created a group here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/104030-30-days-of-yoga

Please feel free to join the group or I will be happy to invite you. Just let me know! I will post the first YouTube video in the group and more information about the challenge.

I had debated on starting or group or keeping it in a thread. I thought that with a group, others could join us later in the month if they miss the start date. This challenge is open to anyone and at any level.

If you have any questions, please ask....I will do my best to answer any question you have. Also, please feel free to friend request me.