Newbie... Losing lbs but not inches?

Options
Because of medical issues I haven't been able to do much in the gym but I've just been given a conditional usage permit (lol) by my doctor so I have an appointment with a personal trainer this weekend to start light weight lifting. I have been using water classes for all my exercise up to this point. Tough water classes like Aqua Boot Camp type things so I'm not just floating around in the pool. lol
So I've lost about 65 lbs total in the last year but after starting to measure inches three months ago I've noticed that while my weight continues to go down I'm not really losing inches.
What's up with that? Will light weight lifting twice a week help me?
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally enjoying seeing the numbers on the scale drop but all the lost lbs in the world don't mean a thing if you can't lose an inch off your thigh or arm when you are putting in four hours a week swimming and dieting on top of that.
Any input is gratefully received and appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You're not losing inches at all? That seems nearly impossible considering how much weight you have lost. Of the 65 pounds you have lost, how much have you lost since you started measuring? And what are you measuring? You can't control where the weight comes off...it may not budge from your thigh or arm and instead come off of your hips, calves, neck or waist. That's why it is helpful to take a wide range of measurements.
  • Melinda791
    Melinda791 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've only been measuring for the last three months. In that time period I've probably lost about 30 lbs. I've lost one inch from my waist, one inch from my hips and lower ab area (admittedly where most of my fat is. I have the dreaded 'apron') and one inch from my left thigh but just my left one! lol
    I measure the same places on the same day at the end of each month to try to have stability in my numbers. Breast, waist, hips, thighs and arms.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    In that case, I wouldn't worry...it sounds like it is coming off pretty evenly. I will say this...I am female but carried the majority of my extra weight in the abdominal area. Unfortunately, my abdominal area was the LAST area to lose significant inches. It is incredibly frustrating to lose an inch from my hips when my hips are relatively slim...Meanwhile, my large stomach stayed large!

So don't worry, it will eventually disappear even if it takes a while. Just stick with what you are doing, it is working. Also, as I lost more weight, a small change in pounds seemed to have a larger impact on inches. I think this is because my body had to finally stop taking it from random areas without much extra and finally get to work on the big fat stores...or at least that's my theory. LOL!

Even weeks when something I measure doesn't move, I will see results in other areas...my collar bone suddenly appears or becomes more prominent...this is not captured by the measurements but it is fat loss. Or my face becomes more defined. So don't worry, eventually the inches will start to move more significantly.
  • Melinda791
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and encouraging :)
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with MoiAussi93. I've noticed that at any given time I'm losing either pounds, inches, or looking better in the mirror. For some reason, it seems that it really only is one at a time, though. Weight loss really is an equation: calories - exercise = body. If you are decreasing calories and increasing exercise, you are making improvements to your body. Be patient--sounds like you are doing great! I agree, too, with the tummy being last. I've lost 50 and maybe have 10-15 more to go, and the tummy is going to hang on to the bitter last.
  • Melinda791
    Options
    Thanks streamgirl :)
    I really wish I could just get rid of my stomach first. Short of a sudden and unsightly chainsaw accident it's not going to happen though. lol
    We'll see what happens when I measure next month after I add the weights in.