Replies

• jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    you should ask them which cereal box they got their diploma from
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It could be that you're just slowing down after losing some water weight. Plus it's normal to hit plateaus of a couple days/weeks when you don't lose anything.

Personally, when I hit my first plateau, I increased my calories, and I'm still losing. 1280 while exercising is just way too low... Find a new nutritionist.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    the TL;DR version? You need to re-evaluate what you are doing right/wrong and ignore your nutritionists advice to eat less and not eat your cals back. That is asking for a world of unhappiness unnecessarily. Good luck.

Yikes, this is what I was afraid of. I have some thinking to do....more to follow up on this post later.

and these two quotes above just answered the OPs own question.

OP what you were really after was affirmation that you didn't want to follow your Nutritionists' advice and because somebody said to ignore the advice, you have immediately taken that on board.

What are the credentials of the person telling you to ignore your Nutritionists' advice?

You don't know, but you DO know the qualifications of your Nutritionist.

People will always say Doctors can make mistakes - this is very true, but so can a hell of a lot of people on a relatively anonymous website forum, strangers on the internet.

Be very careful.

For the sake of clarification I said: Ignore her advice to eat less and not eat back her exercise calories. That combination puts her WELL below 1200 cals per day if she followed it, which is NOT a safe weight loss solution, and definitely not sustainable in the long run once she is off her dr/nutritionists idea of a diet.

I based my statement on research I've done and as I explained my own personal experience. She is 5'7" and going under 1200 regularly is irresponsible. I encouraged the OP to do her own homework and talk to her nutritionist with her concern. But way to read only what you wanna :) Good luck OP!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I was hoping someone could help me, or at least provide thoughts and suggestions. I have been seeing a nutritionist from my doctor's office for several months about every other week. I have over 50 lbs to lose. She put me on a high protein, low carb (100 carbs or less per day) diet of 1380 cals per day. At first I was consistently losing 2 lbs or more per week, and the past 2 weeks I have only lost 0.4 lbs each week. I exercise quite a bit regularly. She suggested the following:

1) lowering my fat grams intake
    2) lowering my calorie limit to 1280 (this seems so low to me! I am 5'7)
    3) exercise less so I am less hungry and do not eat back my exercise calories/carbs.

This seems to me like sketchy advice! Any suggestions from experience would be helpful. Thanks a bunch.

How long have you been on this diet (I lost 2-3 lbs a week the first4 weeks in mostly water weight)
    How ling have you consistently worked out (is this new with your diet)

Sometimes it is difficult to sustain to many changes to your lifestyle. The nutritionist may be eliminating exercise for now till you have a consistent handle on the diet portion of your change. This can help you focus on what your body really needs with out distractions, relearning what hunger cues are and what enough food feels like. Once you have this down they may add exercise back in and the additional calories to fuel it.

Just my thoughts:flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it would be sketchy if you got it from a doctor's office?

right, doctors never make mistakes...just ask those people that wake up from surgery with a missing lung, when they were only scheduled for a colonoscopy ..or the ones that wake up with a scalpel stitched up in there abdomen...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    you should ask them which cereal box they got their diploma from

jack in the box?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    how much weight have you lost?

what is your current weight?

what kind of exercise do you do?
  • Morninglory81
    Options
    the TL;DR version? You need to re-evaluate what you are doing right/wrong and ignore your nutritionists advice to eat less and not eat your cals back. That is asking for a world of unhappiness unnecessarily. Good luck.

Yikes, this is what I was afraid of. I have some thinking to do....more to follow up on this post later.

OP what you were really after was affirmation that you didn't want to follow your Nutritionists' advice and because somebody said to ignore the advice, you have immediately taken that on board.

What are the credentials of the person telling you to ignore your Nutritionists' advice?

People will always say Doctors can make mistakes - this is very true, but so can a hell of a lot of people on a relatively anonymous website forum, strangers on the internet.

Be very careful.

For the sake of clarification I said: Ignore her advice to eat less and not eat back her exercise calories. That combination puts her WELL below 1200 cals per day if she followed it, which is NOT a safe weight loss solution, and definitely not sustainable in the long run once she is off her dr/nutritionists idea of a diet.

I based my statement on research I've done and as I explained my own personal experience. She is 5'7" and going under 1200 regularly is irresponsible. I encouraged the OP to do her own homework and talk to her nutritionist with her concern. But way to read only what you wanna :) Good luck OP!
    She was not told not to eat back cals, she was told to eliminate or reduce the exercise. I have a feeling they want her to get a handle on the diet portion before adding the confusion of exercise, and the hunger that can follow. Se needs to focus on the basics of nutrition and, only after she has that in check, learn how to use it to fuel working out her body.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Be very careful.

She was not told not to eat back cals, she was told to eliminate or reduce the exercise. I have a feeling they want her to get a handle on the diet portion before adding the confusion of exercise, and the hunger that can follow. Se needs to focus on the basics of nutrition and, only after she has that in check, learn how to use it to fuel working out her body.

sounds like hoagwash to me ...

Your telling me the OP can't go for a run because it is too "confusing" ..pleeaaaseeee....or she can't go lift some dumbbells ...rolls eyez....
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert but the sugegsted calorie consumption seems low. I'm 5'6" and 275lbs (so I realise a lot heavier than you) and have been sticking to around 1500 cals a day plus eating back some/ all of my exercise calories and have been losing steadily (average is 2.3lbs a week but has been 1lb some weeks and 3lbs other weeks, 7lbs the first week). I'm exercising 4-5 times a week for 30-60 mins a time (swimming, cardio, weights). The idea of stopping/ reducing exercising seems counter-intuative to a healthier lifestyle to me.
  • Morninglory81
    Options

Be very careful.

sounds like hoagwash to me ...

Your telling me the OP can't go for a run because it is too "confusing" ..pleeaaaseeee....or she can't go lift some dumbbells ...rolls eyez....
    there is nothing wrong with a run or lifting and I fully encourage bolt. What I don't encourage is sensationalizing the advice given. She was not told to not eat back cals as inferred above but to eliminate the need for the extra cals by not exercising. I stand by my possible explanation for the advice. Not everyone can go from unhealthy life to clean and healthy life in one step.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

right, doctors never make mistakes...just ask those people that wake up from surgery with a missing lung, when they were only scheduled for a colonoscopy ..or the ones that wake up with a scalpel stitched up in there abdomen...

I would say that if that is the experience of Doctors you have had outside, I would change doctors.

99% of the people on this site aren't Doctors, or Nutritionists, or Dieticians, or Personal Trainers, but everybody seems to taken everybody else's word for their "advice" - and you question people in the real word who have qualifications?

Somewhere along the line here, something is very wrong.........
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Was this a nutritionist or a dietitian? Nutritionists, by and large, are unregulated whereas a dietitian is licensed and nationally certified by examination. A dietitian is an expert in food and nutrition and must continue to take educational credits in order to maintain his or her license. This isn't to say that some nutritionists aren't well educated or even take continuing education but you have to be careful.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you do not trust the advice get a second (and third) opinion

Also drink a lot of water and lift heavy things!!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Be very careful.

If you will read back through the OP's OP you will see this:
    "3) exercise less so I am less hungry and do not eat back my exercise calories/carbs."

That reads to me "work out less, and don't eat those workout calories back" which is not sound advice as it will still put her in the below 1200 range regularly JUST from walking around alone. (unless OP is super sedentary, which it doesn't sound like she is.)
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am still not really sure if that is sound advice, but I had a nutritionist tell me to drink diet soda when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes. Not even sure why she suggested it--I don't drink soda when I am pregnant, and try to completely avoid it even when I'm not. I think that a second opinion is always good, and do not assume that someone is right just because they are an "expert".
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Advice I've gotten from doctors:

1. It's ok that you're anorexic. You need to lose weight anyway.
    2. Be careful about having too many gay male friends. It'll turn you into a lesbian.
    3. You won't get over this depression until you find a boyfriend.

Aaaaaand I rest my case.

And let's add the doctors who put feeding tube in women for them to lose weight quickly...

My cousin works for a health clinic called "InShape". She is a size 4, my mom is 5'8" and a size 10. Neither one of them is more than 5-10lbs overweight yet the doctor she works for prescribes them HCG and a 500 calorie diet. Her argument "well he is a doctor, you are not". He is also prescribing HCG for weightloss which is illegal and making $1000 a pop off these people. I understand a 500 calorie diet for a morbidly obese person after weightloss surgery but not for a person at a health size who wants to lose a few pounds.

Plenty of doctors/nutritionists/etc are crooks who prey on insecure people to make money....
  • Morninglory81
    Options

Be very careful.

If you will read back through the OP's OP you will see this:
    "3) exercise less so I am less hungry and do not eat back my exercise calories/carbs."

That reads to me "work out less, and don't eat those workout calories back" which is not sound advice as it will still put her in the below 1200 range regularly JUST from walking around alone. (unless OP is super sedentary, which it doesn't sound like she is.)

I posted this earlier;

How long have you been on this diet (I lost 2-3 lbs a week the first4 weeks in mostly water weight)
    How ling have you consistently worked out (is this new with your diet)

[Sometimes it is difficult to sustain to many changes to your lifestyle. The nutritionist may be eliminating exercise for now till you have a consistent handle on the diet portion of your change. This can help you focus on what your body really needs with out distractions, relearning what hunger cues are and what enough food feels like. Once you have this down they may add exercise back in and the additional calories to fuel it.]

There are many things to take into account. We only have the OP's short info with no history which the Dr and nutritionist would have gone over.

Always take advice with a grain of salt, but if you have questions, question the one giving the advice. If they can't adequately back up their recommendation then seek a second opinion.
  • jdphelan
    jdphelan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One important step in double checking your diary is the portion size. Many people don't actually measure their food. What they thing was 1/2 cup might be over 3/4, one tablespoon on a houshold spoon may actually measure up to 2 tablespoons leveled out. Another thing to account for is what I will always remember from a weight watchers meetings. Always measure your BLTs. (Bites, licks and tastes) Even if you just had two m&ms from the candy jar at work, had a bite of your husbands sandwich etc it all adds up. So make sure to get out those measuring cups and spoons for accuarate portion sizes and don't forget the small stuff.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I would say that if that is the experience of Doctors you have had outside, I would change doctors.

99% of the people on this site aren't Doctors, or Nutritionists, or Dieticians, or Personal Trainers, but everybody seems to taken everybody else's word for their "advice" - and you question people in the real word who have qualifications?

Somewhere along the line here, something is very wrong.........

all I am saying is just because it comes from someone that is a "DR" does not mean it is legit...I get advice from people that I pay all the time lawyers, tax accountants, etc, and I find that half the time they don't even have a clue...so just because someone has some kind of "title" does not make them an expert...