-21 lbs... and can't see any progress! :(

Options
Stats:
Height: 5'11"
SW: 273
CW: 252
GW: 170

I've been with this for over 43 days now, and I've lost over 20 pounds. Which is great and all, but I can't see ANY progress in the mirror. I've even taken before and now pictures for myself to compare, and they're no different. I'm not losing inches either, in fact my thighs got bigger. I do a lot of cardio, and also do strength training (especially for my abdomen and legs). I feel so discouraged. I see other people who've made leaps and bounds in 40 days and you can TELL they lost weight at the same weight that I am. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else in this situation?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    patience grass hopper…

you are losing, which means you are succeeding.

Just keep doing what you are doing and eventually you will see the results. You may have some water retention from working out so much…

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 50 pounds before I went down a clothing size, or before anyone could tell that I had lost some weight! I can definitely understand your frustration and know how hard it can be to stay motivated when it feels like your hard work is not paying off. Please keep working on improving your diet and your fitness because this is a marathon and not a sprint. It will take some time to get your body where you want it to be. Also, don't care yourself to others because you don't know what they are doing to lose the weight (excessive hours at the gym, refusing to eat, or pills). Focus on the healthy choices and improvements that you are making for yourself.

Congratulations on the weight loss! Keep it up! You can add me if you would like.
  • AHeartbeatBehind
    Options
    I am in a similar situation. However, I have lost inches and hardly any pounds. I'm on day 43 (I think) and I've only lost 3 pounds total, which is very discouraging when I am doing my weekly weigh-in. I personally have not seen any loss on myself but I have gotten a few comments. Just keep swimming.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm in sort of a similar place. I've lost 25 or so pounds & am still wearing the same jeans. They're looser, for sure, but still wearable without being baggy. I'm sure you're doing better that you think you are, you just might not be letting yourself see the changes. I only lost 20lbs last year (by Christmas) but was still asked about it by at least two family members at our annual party. Just keep going and you will see results. You're doing great!
  • Deb23455
    Deb23455 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started at 220# and no one noticed I had lost any weight till I lost 35#. I've only lost one pant size and am now down 45#. I think the bigger we are at the start the more it takes to be visible! It was funny, I've just now gotten the question, Have you lost some weight? After losing 22% of myself! But it will happen for you also.
  • BL3SS3DFITN3SS
    BL3SS3DFITN3SS Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Totally normal, especially since you are tall. Last time I lost the weight it wasn't until around 35 lbs lost that it was noticeable...I'm 5'10.

This time around I'm also down 20 since January and still see no big changes but I KNOW it's going to be a little while before "I" see the difference , it'll happen just keep doing what you are doing.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses! I'm glad I'm not alone in this or doing something totally wrong to get this result
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations for losing that much! I know it is hard when you can't look in the mirror and see progress, but please know that you are helping yourself so much. I am a nursing student and all the people I see in the hospital are obese with diabetes, hypertension, and a slew of other problems because of their weight.

Please know that you really are helping yourself down the line. If you can't see it just know that you are lowering blood sugar, blood pressure, heart rate, and many other things. Sometimes this is the only thing that keeps me going, but you can do it, so please don't give up!
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    On the bright side, if you aren't seeing the changes on the outside, maybe all those changes are happening inside first. Which, in the long run, is much more important for your health. I'd LOVE to lose all the fat from around my organs first, haha!

Alternatively, I once saw it described like a roll of paper towels - even after the first 10 or so towels you take off the roll, you don't notice much difference. But once you're 1/3 or so of the way through, it starts to look much, much smaller.
  • leah0750
    leah0750 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, been going hard for about 50 days, lost 19 pounds and haven't changed an inch! I know how you feel and often thought of giving up, luckily this feed really helped (:
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    People tend to be their own harshest critics. If i could do this all over again I would have taken more pictures and measurements as I went along, after all seeing is believing. You may have indeed had a physical change, but since you see yourself everyday you tend not to notice it. Keep it up, soon people you know, friends, coworkers etc will be saying things like "oh my gahhhh you're losing so much weight, how are you doing it?!" and you will start realizing it. It's a good kinda feeling. :)
  • Remaking_Me
    Remaking_Me Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I worked out for 90 days and lost inches on my waist but gained tons of inches in my thighs and calves. When I met with a personal trainer for the first time he asked me what kind of exercises I was doing. I was doing a lot of weight lifting and using the machines. He encouraged me to continue doing strength training but to do bodyweight training instead, which uses the body's weight to slim down rather than adding extra weights from beginning which causes you to build more muscle and bulk up. I hope that could be of some help :-)
  • aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    What helpful words....I want to follow this..great job!!
  • aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth...I've lost just a little since joining but I'm wearing jeans I couldn't a month ago. Let's just keep going and see what happens.