would you date someone who doesn't lift?

Options
mikkielias
mikkielias Posts: 21
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
I have a question for you all, would you ever date someone who doesn't eat healthy foods or doesn't workout at all? Not only regarding to lifting but someone who doesn't workout in general or neither cares for their health... Basically because Im all into this fitness life style, I like to sleep my 8 hours and stay in home instead of going partying... I usually attempt to find someone with the same ideas as me but till the moment I haven't been available to have a boyfriend since forever :( what are your thoughts?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you like the person otherwise then I would say go out with them. If you really have no interests in common and they belittle or complain about the things that are important to you then I would not go out with them. People's interests do change though. It is possible a great person who isn't interested in exercise or healthy eating today may become interested later.

I've been married 15 years and my dh and I share many interests but don't do everything together. He isn't my diet/exercise buddy although he is supportive of my weight loss efforts. I don't care if he doesn't exercise in his free time or if he eats a little differently than me.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    mikkielias wrote: »
    I have a question for you all, would you ever date someone who doesn't eat healthy foods or doesn't workout at all? Not only regarding to lifting but someone who doesn't workout in general or neither cares for their health... Basically because Im all into this fitness life style, I like to sleep my 8 hours and stay in home instead of going partying... I usually attempt to find someone with the same ideas as me but till the moment I haven't been available to have a boyfriend since forever :( what are your thoughts?

Define "healthy foods"

• HotPotato22
    Options
    I like to get drunk, workout, smoke pot, and eat healthy. I wouldn't rule anybody out based on their diet but I do like to cook healthy foods at home. I would be really bored if I was too dedicated to being healthy.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    i doubt i would care, but i don't lift either. actually, i think i'd rather date someone who isn't too into their body. i'd be afraid of how judgmental they would be of me if they were.
  • MaoTzu
    MaoTzu Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I could never date someone that doesn't lift. It is a huge part of my life and if someone doesn't share that, they will never understand me or my actions. Eating healthy is important too, and by that I generally just mean someone that watches what they eat, is down with protein shakes for dinner, and understands my lifestyle. I could not imagine dating someone who never goes to the gym/ doesn't understand why I CANNOT miss a day of my programming, who thinks meal prepping is weird, who doesn't get the fitness humor that I enjoy (like BroScience), and who doesn't encourage my desire to look like Dani Reardon. I don't want to be with someone that says "you're going to the gym again? You're eating brown rice again? Skip your workout. It is okay to have cake SOMETIMES right?!" I want to be with someone that says "I need a spot- let's go tear up the gym and then make burrito bowls"
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options

Of course, I would.
    Opposites attract.
    I lifted for 45 years, but had to quit because of a spinal cord problem.
    Since I don't now, you'd rule me out?
    Sounds immature.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    DonM46 wrote: »
    Of course, I would.
    Opposites attract.
    Sounds immature.

Sounds like you don't want her to rule you out....I don't blame you. She looks really cute.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    DonM46 wrote: »
    Of course, I would.
    Opposites attract.
    Sounds immature.

how is that immature? o.p. looks very young based on her pic. would her ruling you out because you're way too old for her be a better reason? people rule each other out for relationships for so many reasons that this one doesn't hit my radar as being outlandish in any way. she wants someone she has something in common with that is an important part of her life. what in the world is wrong with that?
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    That feel when no qt3.14 lifter chick to use me as her personal human log press and feed me chipotle post workout. Her not lifting wouldn't be the deal breaker,me being under 6 foot probably is though. :'(
  • kitaemma
    kitaemma Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would mind but luckily I just happen to end up with guys who are into health and fitness anyway. But I couldn't be with someone who only wants to party and only wants to drink. I would want some type of lifestyle things in common
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you want a durable relationship, you need compatible lifestyles. Not necessarily identical (unless you want to date your clone), but compatible is a must.

Obviously, you need to spend time together. So right there, if one of you spend a lot of time at the gym and the other does not; if one of you avoid 80% of restaurants and bars while the other loves socializing in these places, when will you be together? That,s the practical sides of things.

Moreover, if you feel that you would judge your partner on his fitness/eating habits, love would not last. Not even sure if it would even exist in the first place.

So find your match !