is 147 at 5'8 big?

Options
I was always 125-135 before having a child. I got up to 153 last xmas (got much bigger while pregnant). It is technically in the healthy range but I feel huge at 147 and I've even had friends mention that I look bigger (rude).
I don't know if setpoints are a real thing but my body really likes this weight. Even though I'm healthy I am not confident. Is this considered big to anybody else?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I'm happy at 160. 150 would be like my dream weight. Everyone is happy at different weights, but no I wouldn't consider 147 big for you.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    Maybe it is because I have a small frame the weight looks so bad on me. I have cellulite and rolls!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    No you're not "big" and your friends are rude. Have you thought about a body recomp?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have a fairly small frame myself. Some of it's probably perception. I've always been overweight or obese, so I'm probably used to feeling comfortable at a higher weight. Some of it could be a body composition thing, too.

• HotPotato22
    Options
    What is a body recomp?
  • roxilegend
    roxilegend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and currently weigh 178. My goal is 145, so as of right now no I do not consider that big. I've never been below 165 my whole (short) adult life, so I'm not completely sure how I'll feel at 145. It's a healthy weight - but, like you, I have a small frame. If I don't feel confident at that weight I'll lose a little more or start lifting to gain some lbm. It's all about what you are happy with and what you can (healthily) maintain.
  • aam117
    aam117 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i'm also 5' 8" and currently 150 (i still looked okay to most people at 160, but i felt like crap). i would say i felt my best around 140-145 so that's what i'm shooting for, just trying to be toned and healthy
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think that whether or not you are "big" at that weight probably depends on how you carry it. It's technically within the healthy range for you, so if you're comfortable with it, who cares what obnoxious people say? I agree with the poster above you, who mentioned body composition. Consider trying strength training to get closer to the look you want without having to lose much, if any, weight.

ETA: body recomp - gaining lean mass while losing fat mass
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and am happy at 165. It could be that having a baby has shifted things around and that's why you look different. I know my body has changed considerably after having 3 babies.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    I do cardio and weights 5 times a week for the past few months and although the scale hasn't moved much I look much better but still have a long ways to go. Maybe I should step up the weight lifting. I do think the baby shifted things, my waist and hips are wider and my thighs look huge!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and 160 is my goal weight. In my adult life I've only been below 150 during really stressful times in my life and wasn't eating anything. When I maintained at 150ish I was doing a job heavy on manual labor, I was running plus lifting weights.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    No
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was always 125-135 before having a child. I got up to 153 last xmas (got much bigger while pregnant). It is technically in the healthy range but I feel huge at 147 and I've even had friends mention that I look bigger (rude).
    I don't know if setpoints are a real thing but my body really likes this weight. Even though I'm healthy I am not confident. Is this considered big to anybody else?

I am 5'8 and reached my ultimate goal weight at 165 (currently 163lbs) it depends where and how you carry your weight ...I'm a US size 8-10 (UK 10-12) .. I would be unhappy to drop any more than a few vanity pounds from here and am on maintenance

Weight on the scale means nothing, how do you feel in yourself, look in the mirror and fit in your clothes and are you happy with it ?
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think it largely depends on the frame size. I have a small frame and am 133 at 5"7, but although it is a healthy weight it looks so disproportionate and hefty, especially since I was a natural 117. There I felt much better and was so much more energised, but now I feel bloated and bulky all the time :/

If you feel good, it's probably good
  • snovej
    snovej Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" as well and would definitely not consider 147lbs big! I do know that after having kids your body gets all sorts of crazy and pants that fit before may not now even if you are smaller! Regardless, your friends sound pretty rude! If you feel good then don't let others bring you down. They are just insecure themselves and want to bring you down with them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I am 5'8 and reached my ultimate goal weight at 165 (currently 163lbs) it depends where and how you carry your weight ...I'm a US size 8-10 (UK 10-12) .. I would be unhappy to drop any more than a few vanity pounds from here and am on maintenance

Weight on the scale means nothing, how do you feel in yourself, look in the mirror and fit in your clothes and are you happy with it ?

make that US 6 - 8 .. it's two sizes difference right?
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    No! My target weight is 155 and I'm five six. Currently im 168. So you are definitely taller. Sometimes you can't go by the number on the scale. I think your weight is just fine.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I don't feel good at this weight but I'm not too far from my goal weight (140) and I'm set up to lose slowly, .5-1 lb a week so hopefully I can maintain any weight loss. Wish me luck!
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you look and your frame size, muscle content, etc.

I'm 5'8 and I think I look very squishy at anything over 140 lbs. Definitely not big, but way too much fat. I am also really small framed and don't have a lot of muscle (although I've been weight training to remedy that). I am currently 133 and trying to lose more to lower my body fat %. Numberwise, that sounds ridiculous, but if you saw my body and the level of tone I want (18% body fat), it would make sense.

However, one of my friends is also 5'8 and she's a hardcore athlete. She weighs 145. We look almost the same in terms of thinness and tone. Body composition is different, but we could easily share clothes.

I would absolutely not call you big in any way. You're definitely on the thin side! But depending on your body composition and your goals, only you can make the call of what you're looking for.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old, underweight daughter has cellulite. Its genetic, unfortunately.