Sedentary to Active - How quickly?

Options
Im on Day 2 of my new journey. Have 80lbs to lose, have not worked out in maybe a year. Day 1 consisted of a 2.5 mile walk... woke up this morning sore as heck. Definitely a wake up call as I was convinced I'd be walking 2.5 a day plus other body workouts throughout the week. Woah was I wrong. Slow & steady it is.

I was thinking of just walking everyday 1-2 miles and letting my body adjust to that for a week or two before increasing distance or adding in other body workouts.

Is walking 1-2 miles / day too much for someone 80lbs overweight who has been sedentary a long time? How quickly should I increase time & add more stuff in? Also, advice on combatting soreness??

Thanks!

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Walking isn't a bad first exercise. It's low impact and burns calories! If 2.5 miles left you excessively sore, I would dial back the intensity. Perhaps 0.75 miles 5 days a week, or 1.5 miles 3 days a week with rest days in-between.. given 2.5 miles left you very sore the next day.
    Is walking 1-2 miles / day too much for someone 80lbs overweight who has been sedentary a long time?
    To clarify, the issue is more the "sedentary a long time", not so much the 80lbs.
    How quickly should I increase time & add more stuff in?
    Use your soreness as a judge. You could also work towards a faster pace. This way your burn more and get stronger without spending increasing time working out.
    Also, advice on combatting soreness??
    Warming up, stretching while warm particularly your hams and quads, and foam rolling.
  • flowers1907
    Options
    Hi I admire very much your efforts on your long term goal! I'm on my 4th day of diet and exercise and need to lose about 65 pounds. I have a treadmill and took it very gradually these past 4 days cause I had been sedentary also about a year. I always believed " slow and steady" wins the race as the saying goes and also I believe in the saying " keep your eye on the prize!". I wish you the very best on your journey! And again greatly admire the steps you're taking especially asking questions for help. Take care, and I always like this one too- " a moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips". I know ! you'll reach your goal and thanks so much for sharing your story- it encouraged me .
    - Sincerely , Rosemary/ "Rome" 55