Cheap Protein Powders

Options
I'm currently 15 pounds underweight and after using this app i found out i'm only getting half my daily protein intake, i've been trying to gain weight for the past two weeks and i keep gaining two pounds but i lose them overnight, i'm only 17 so i cant afford expensive protein powders or bars so i was wondering does anyone have any cheap suggestions of protein powders or bars?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Protein through food is likely cheaper, but also keep in mind that calories are king when it comes to gaining. You need to get your protein calories to goal, but you're not gaining because you aren't eating enough.

Inexpensive sources of protein include dried beans, tuna, lentils, chicken when it's on sale (and it's always cheaper to cook a whole chicken and use everything as opposed to chicken breasts), etc.

How much are you eating, what are your workouts like, and what is your maintenance calorie level?
  • frankiem97
    Options
    Im currently on 2300 calories a day, i used to be on 1700 before getting this app. I've started doing 10 minutes of strength training roughly every 3 days to gain muscle, however i've given up much exercise to keep weight on
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    frankiem97 wrote: »
    Im currently on 2300 calories a day, i used to be on 1700 before getting this app. I've started doing 10 minutes of strength training roughly every 3 days to gain muscle, however i've given up much exercise to keep weight on

You will need to track how your weight responds to your calorie level. If after a few weeks you don't see your weight increasing at a good rate (about a pound a week), you'll need to increase your calories further. I'd suggest getting on a beginning strength training program if your goals are to put on muscle (highly recommended) and not just fat.

Also, give this a read; it should answer a lot of your questions:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners
  • williamgprice
    williamgprice Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Look into a strength training program: Starting Strength, SL5x5, etc. 10 minutes every 3 days is going to do nothing.

Lift
    Eat
    ?
    Profit
  • Beastshaw
    Beastshaw Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Protein through food is likely cheaper, but also keep in mind that calories are king when it comes to gaining. You need to get your protein calories to goal, but you're not gaining because you aren't eating enough.

Inexpensive sources of protein include dried beans, tuna, lentils, chicken when it's on sale (and it's always cheaper to cook a whole chicken and use everything as opposed to chicken breasts), etc.

How much are you eating, what are your workouts like, and what is your maintenance calorie level?

I'm sorry but there are very few foods that will get the protein/$ ratio that the powder form does. Scooby wrote an article about it a while ago: http://scoobysworkshop.com/protein-sources/ .

To answer OP's question, MyProtein has some amazing sales on protein. I bought 22 lbs of Cinnamon Roll Impact Whey about a month ago for less that $100 shipped. It is by far the best flavor of whey protein that I have ever tasted in water. There was a sale posted yesterday on SlickDeals found here: http://slickdeals.net/f/7682060-myprotein-coupon-40-off-sitewide-11lbs-impact-whey-protein-48-60-free-shipping