Best bang for your buck food suggestion thread!

I'd like to start this thread so we can start sharing our go-to foods that seem filling, tasty, and not too high on the calories..

I'll start by suggesting wendy's apple pecan chicken salad.. just 590 calories, tastes great, and it's pretty filling. It's basically my go-to food when I want something not too calorie dense with a good flavor. I have just started my tracking journey so I'd like to know other people's foods that they go to when they want a good tasting meal that doesn't break the calorie bank.

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I'll shred chicken breast and do a dry stir-fry (non-stick pan and no oil) with chopped bell peppers and Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning. 300-600calories depending on how much you fix. Delicious, tons of protein and can be a nice size portion of food.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    If I'm out, my favorite go-to is a burrito bowl from Chipotle.
    I skip the rice, get double chicken, black beans, corn salsa, hot sauce (red tomatillo salsa) and cheese. 685 calories, 25g fat, 43g carbs and a whopping 81g of protein.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2015
    I love Jiffy Pop 100 calorie Kettle Corn bags... it's my go-to snack at night. also, Tropicana Trop50 orange juice... just 50 calories in 8 ounces and to me tastes just as good as the 'full sugar' OJ. Two servings of Trop50 and a bag of popcorn makes for a very filling evening snack.

The veggie/garden burgers from King's and Eat N' Park both come in under 300 calories (without cheese).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    My favorite go to is a spinach salad, grilled chicken, peppers, feta, kalamata olives and avocado with Opa, Greek yogurt bleu cheese dressing- around 300ish calories.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    This is a good thread. I take a lean cuisine or smart ones meal and add raw veggies like broccoli and bell peppers to it. I mix it all up and it's pretty filling for just a few added calories to it. I know those boxed meals are not the best option and loaded with sodium, but on occasion it does the trick.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    My go to that is quick and filling is to mash half an avocado, add half a pouch of Bumblebee light tuna in water and have it on a toasted whole grain english muffin or half of a whole grain bagel. If I have fresh spinach on hand, I top it off with that. It provides carbs, protein and beneficial fats so you stay full longer.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Microwave a bag of broccoli slaw (unopened) for 3-3 1/2 minutes. Mix with 1 cup of cottage cheese. 250-300 kcal...if you can even finish it.

It's not the cheapest meal, but when you come home at 10 PM you can walk in the door, get it started, take off your coat and boots, and it's ready. With ample room for dessert because hey, you got home at 10 PM.

My secret treat weapon is mini ice cream sandwiches. They're only a little smaller than the Skinny Cow/WW ones, are the "real thing" instead of lowfat for 90-100 kcal (!!!), and cost SO much less. (Generally a box of 12 for $2.50-$4).