medical weight loss

Options
Contemplating going thru with medical weight loss. I have always had a problem with food & I think this would help me out a lot since nothing else seems to be working. Anyone have any experiences with this or advice they can offer? it's a big chunk of money & I would like to hear what you have to say before I take the plunge. THank you

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    What is medical weight loss?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Do you mean surgery?

I'd look into it really carefully - life-changing and sometimes life-limiting
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You've lost 69 pounds-WTG! Why not keep doing what you've been doing?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Medical weight loss could mean a couple different things. BUT you've lose 69 pounds so far and that is amazing! You've found a method that apparently works to lose those 69pounds.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 69 pounds on your own, you are doing all the right things. A problem with food will not magically disappear if you have surgery. That surgery requires a life long commitment to changing the way you eat. My ex husband nearly died last year as a result of his surgery. Do your research and be absolutely sure you are ready to make all the changes required to stay healthy after that type of a surgery.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    If the problem you are having with food and drink is difficulty with restricting calories, I'm not sure how a medically supervised diet or surgery will help with this. Same thing if your problem is binge eating. Either way, you will still have to restrict calories and continue to do so, or it will have been a waste of money.

Maybe you could explain the problem you are having a little more specifically?
  • tuck1jl
    tuck1jl Posts: 55 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sorry all I didnt mean surgery. I meant the medical weight loss clinic where they structure your food. And the 69lbs I lost were almost 2 years ago before I got pregnant. I have been the same weight for the last 18 months. Something needs to change. Not sure if this is it or not but I can't seem to get anything moving.

I initially lost the weight by a bad diet & working out 2 hours a day. not the smartest way to go. Now with a toddler I can no longer manage the workouts so food needs to change. I know food is the issue so I went in & had a consultation with the medical weight loss clinic & they offered me a plan where they could get me down to 175 *currently 345* in 61 weeks just by structured & monitored eating. My exercise would be icing on the cake. But with that comes the cost works out to about $20 a week. Just not sure if anyone else has dealt with something like this.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    There is no Magical Silver Bullet. "Medical" or not.

You are looking in the wrong direction.

• tuck1jl
    Options

I'm not expecting it to be magical or anything easy. I am hoping they can help me with my relationship with food. Educate me on how to eat, what to eat since obviously what I'm doing isnt working.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    tuck1jl wrote: »
    Sorry all I didnt mean surgery. I meant the medical weight loss clinic where they structure your food. And the 69lbs I lost were almost 2 years ago before I got pregnant. I have been the same weight for the last 18 months. Something needs to change. Not sure if this is it or not but I can't seem to get anything moving.

I initially lost the weight by a bad diet & working out 2 hours a day. not the smartest way to go. Now with a toddler I can no longer manage the workouts so food needs to change. I know food is the issue so I went in & had a consultation with the medical weight loss clinic & they offered me a plan where they could get me down to 175 *currently 345* in 61 weeks just by structured & monitored eating. My exercise would be icing on the cake. But with that comes the cost works out to about $20 a week. Just not sure if anyone else has dealt with something like this.

It seems that you feel having the structured plan and having someone monitor you will help. Go ahead.
    Are they asking you to take any medication?

• tuck1jl
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

It seems that you feel having the structured plan and having someone monitor you will help. Go ahead.
    Are they asking you to take any medication?

they offer suppliments but you don't have to use them since you can get all you need from food. they offer bars, shakes and all that aswell as tools to help but again they are optional
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    All you need is a food scale, measuring cups and spoons and an appropriate calorie deficit!
    So many on MFP have done it-you can too and it's free!!!
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Is the same service not available at your GP or a dietician? For no/little cost?
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options

I'm not expecting it to be magical or anything easy. I am hoping they can help me with my relationship with food. Educate me on how to eat, what to eat since obviously what I'm doing isnt working.

I think you can educate yourself on how to eat without spending all that money. the internet is a fantastic tool that is full of information that you can use to educate yourself. And if you are ever unsure, you can come to these forums and ask questions. Dont waste your money - spend your time and effort and put the work in - its cheaper!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

I fumbled around with what and how much to eat when I first started trying to lose, but what ended up working was to just eat what I always eat, but just less of it. There's no structure of any kind. It's working.

If you want professional guidance in this it couldn't hurt to learn what you can from them for a while, then go it alone. It may be money well spent if it speeds up your learning. Hopefully they don't require a long term committment to their program.

• jkramsey42
    jkramsey42 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Do you mean surgery?

I'd look into it really carefully - life-changing and sometimes life-limiting

"Sometimes" is surprisingly rare if you check the statistics.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    All you need is a food scale, measuring cups and spoons and an appropriate calorie deficit!
    So many on MFP have done it-you can too and it's free!!!

Yerp.

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    The best diet/weight loss plan is "eat less, move more". You have a toddler now, get your "move more" by going on walks with your child, pushing the stroller, bike rides. Together time that also has health benefits.

Another way to help lose weight is to take your eating cues from your toddler. I'm sure you don't allow your baby to eat a bad diet, so model your eating after your toddler's diet.

IMHO, participating in a "structured & monitored eating" plan teaches you NOTHING about making proper food choices. When eat what someone else prepackages for you and don't have to make any decisions, you are essentially continuing "brainless", non-thinking eating patterns. Once you become cognizant of of your eating habits, you have much more power over your eating.

Good luck.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    As a busy mom myself, I would totally go if it was going to make my life easier. For some, it is better to have a game plan (or in this case a meal plan). Me, I'm more of an "on the fly" kind of person. I try to only have good choices in the house and make my meals accordingly from that.

You know what is going to work for you. Why not try it? What do you have to lose?
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If you really need someone to walk you through it, it might be worth the money. Sometimes accountability like that can make all the difference.

Or perhaps you might take the time to do a little more research and see if you can put together a plan on your own (I know that can seem overwhelming with a toddler). You could research low-cal, fresh-food recipes and build a few stock menus to rotate. You could pre-plan a few weeks of meals in one go so you get the hang of working out calories, then start scheduling in treats so you don't feel deprived and binge.

Then again, $20/week is equivalent to about 2 restaurant meals - if the diet counselor can recommend meals you cook on your own and you can shop discounts, then you could make up the cost of the program right there.

Best wishes!