Too long ?

Options
Today I covered 6.65 miles on a undulating trail walk in 1hr 45mins walking with the odd 30 sec jog here and there. Is this a good time to cover that distance I feel it was a bit slow. What's your thoughts on this ? What do you average ?

Replies

• wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to be different based off of their stride, health, weight and overall conditioning. Do you use a HRM? I would find a heart-rate zone that works well for you and go off of that and see if your times improve if that's your overall goal.

In some of my best conditioning, during the Nijmegan 100mile road marches in the Netherlands I would cover 25 miles in about 6 and a half hours, each progression day would be about 30 min slower. I'm no where near that conditioned to it at the moment but working on it ;P
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    wildtxn wrote: »
    Everyone is going to be different based off of their stride, health, weight and overall conditioning. Do you use a HRM? I would find a heart-rate zone that works well for you and go off of that and see if your times improve if that's your overall goal.

In some of my best conditioning, during the Nijmegan 100mile road marches in the Netherlands I would cover 25 miles in about 6 and a half hours, each progression day would be about 30 min slower. I'm no where near that conditioned to it at the moment but working on it ;P

Yes I use a HRM, I felt like i was walking faster than the 3.6mph I was averaging. I was just a little bit disappointed I hadn't covered more distance when I checked my route out on google earth.

25 miles in 6.5 hours is really impressive, way to go man.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    Everyone is different
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    DeeTee68 wrote: »
    Today I covered 6.65 miles on a undulating trail walk in 1hr 45mins walking with the odd 30 sec jog here and there. Is this a good time to cover that distance I feel it was a bit slow. What's your thoughts on this ? What do you average ?

Not really sure what you are asking. Everyone's walking and running paces are different.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about speed. You exercised for an hour and 45 minutes. That is more than some people exercise in a week.

I started running (jogging). I can sustain a jog indefinitely around 4.7 mph which isn't that much faster than your walking pace. I tried 5.5 mph last night and could only sustain it for 5 minutes.

You can always work at getting faster. The important thing is that you are doing something!
  • DeeTee68
    Options
    You can always work at getting faster. The important thing is that you are doing something!

This is true thanks for your thoughts
  • DeeTee68
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Not really sure what you are asking. Everyone's walking and running paces are different.

I was just wondering if this was a decent time to cover that distance I think, im not really sure what im asking to be honest just fancied a chat ;)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Being on a trail, that was a pretty good time. Long, slow distance is very good for stuff!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    In that case I think my fastest time covering that distance was just shy of 45 minutes at the end of my last half marathon
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You say trail....is this a flat trail, a hilly trail, or a trail on a mountain? Terrain is a HUGE factor. Ive done an 8 mile obstacle course in 30min less than a 5 mile obstacle course (was on a ski mountain).

The only time you need to beat is your own. Strive to be better each time you run/walk a course or trial.
  • DeeTee68
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    You say trail....is this a flat trail, a hilly trail, or a trail on a mountain? Terrain is a HUGE factor. Ive done an 8 mile obstacle course in 30min less than a 5 mile obstacle course (was on a ski mountain).

The only time you need to beat is your own. Strive to be better each time you run/walk a course or trial.

Undulating Trail lots of short hill climbs.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

I was just wondering if this was a decent time to cover that distance I think, im not really sure what im asking to be honest just fancied a chat ;)

Decent compared to who though? A seasoned ultra marathoner? A middle aged lightly active adult? A weekend trail warrior?

Answers could vary from your time is complete crap to really awesome. Was it good compared to what you've done before?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    That is a pretty good pace. I see lots of people on the indoor track which is glass smooth/flat moving slower.

Your pace is only a little over 15 minutes per mile. A pace of 15 minutes per mile is considered a fast walk on smooth/level ground.
  • cwilson72180
    cwilson72180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about speed either too much. As long as you are walking and jogging, I think that is good. Where I live, I can't walk too far right now but where we are moving to, I can and the weather is going to get warm soon so I plan on walking a lot. Also, we are going to be living close to my parents again so walking with my mom will be a lot of fun because she is a fun person. I can't wait to start exercising again!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great. A 15 min mile is not too shabby. Be proud you did something. You are still way faster than those still sitting on their couch.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's not how long it is, it's how you do it :wink:
    No but seriously, as long as you're putting in a great effort then it doesn't matter how long it takes. It matters that you got up and did it :smile: