1st half Marathon

Options
Hi I have entered into my first half marathon, am very nervous! as not sure what i am going to expect etc.

I am currently running around 20 miles a week, cycling on exercise bike around 30 miles a week and also walking the dog around 14 miles a week.

Any hints or tips for me. :#

Replies

• WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    look on Bupa for a running training scheme, finished my first half in 1 hour 44 with there routine. they have a 20week and 12 week system.
  • Texas_Toast_27
    Texas_Toast_27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would say your mileage is good if you are planning on finishing, which is a great goal. I would +1 the above comment and say look at some different training plans that will meet your schedule and motivation. Set a time goal for your race and go out there and kill it. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    kmacca3 wrote: »
    Any hints or tips for me. :#

Get hold of a structured plan. You're on a decent starting mileage, so some structure around developing your capacity will help.

More discussion in -
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/102622-2015-half-marathon-first-timers
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just want to say YOU CAN DO IT! I ran my first half marathon last month, and I was crazy nervous. The furthest I had run before the marathon was about 8 miles, so I thought 13.1 would be the end of me. I was really surprised to find that even at mile 10, I was still feeling good and really enjoying myself.

I met a gent who has run a ridiculous amount of marathons, and he gave me a tip that I think was responsible for me enjoying the race so much. He said running three minutes, walking thirty seconds for the duration of the race would often result in a better time than just running the whole thing. Likely not the case for those ultra-marathoners who make running look effortless, but for me, it was fantastic. It was a lot easier to say to myself "Okay, you can run for three minutes-- that's easy!" than to think "Oh my god, I have to run for hours". It's a mental help, and also I felt a lot more energized at 10 miles than I did when I just ran 5 miles straight.

I hope that helps, and HAVE FUN!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up! I highly recommend Hal Higdon's plans. They are free. Here's the link to the Novice plan, but you can find links to intermediate & advanced below:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

And, it IS entirely possible to run the entire thing (no run/walk) - particularly if you're running 20+ miles a week and are prepared to increase your mileage. I ended up getting up to (2) 12 milers prior to my last half and PR'd at 2:06 and felt great from start to finish. Am currently hoping to run a sub 2 hour in early May! It's all about how you train and your outlook.

Good luck whatever plan you decide on. :)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for the 1/2 marathon. To me your mileage looks good and you seem to have a firm base.

The only advise I have is to enjoy it! Oh and know you might cry at the end. HAA I did. I even had a delayed crying session after one of the races I finished and PR'd.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for your first half. I did my first half two years ago and was scared as hell. But I found a good training schedule and stuck with it for the full 12 weeks and I did great. I just signed up for a 10 miler and I plan to do another half sometime later this year. Good luck!!!
  • wibblywobblynomore74
    Options
    Your schedule looks great, are your 20 miles short or long ie 4 x 5 miles or 2 x 10 miles, I say this as when I entered my 1st half I started off by doing lots of small runs (5 × 4 mile runs) then within several weeks of run concentrated on long runs ie 2 × 10 mile runs, with strength training in between. I was and am no expert or zola bud but I ran it in 1hr 55..and since ran several with my pb of 1hr 46..after a foot injury last year and nasty labrynthitis I have slipped hugely, hence back on here...so ive joined a running club and hope this is a positive time ahead xx
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just want to say YOU CAN DO IT! I ran my first half marathon last month, and I was crazy nervous. The furthest I had run before the marathon was about 8 miles, so I thought 13.1 would be the end of me. I was really surprised to find that even at mile 10, I was still feeling good and really enjoying myself.

I met a gent who has run a ridiculous amount of marathons, and he gave me a tip that I think was responsible for me enjoying the race so much. He said running three minutes, walking thirty seconds for the duration of the race would often result in a better time than just running the whole thing. Likely not the case for those ultra-marathoners who make running look effortless, but for me, it was fantastic. It was a lot easier to say to myself "Okay, you can run for three minutes-- that's easy!" than to think "Oh my god, I have to run for hours". It's a mental help, and also I felt a lot more energized at 10 miles than I did when I just ran 5 miles straight.

I hope that helps, and HAVE FUN!

This is the way I run them, too. I've done over a dozen half marathons with a structured run/walk approach. In training for the half I ran in January I increased the running intervals to 6 minutes and had a great race.

OP, definitely find a structured training plan. It'll have you increasing mileage at safe intervals and you'll build up the base miles you need to finish strong. There's no need to feel nervous. You can walk 13.1 miles in under 4 hours so you're not going to have any problems finishing; that's the least of your worries.
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Good luck and have fun! I have also entered my first half this year :)
  • sunandstars2
    sunandstars2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    http://www.halfmarathons.net/half-marathon-training-schedule-for-beginning-runners/

something like this is a great way to train ... short (3-4 mile) runs 3-4x week, then one long run per week with rest days at the proper intervals. it really is a part time job.... super doable though! i've run a half twice. :) good luck!
  • sunandstars2
    sunandstars2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    http://www.halfmarathons.net/half-marathon-training-schedule-for-beginning-runners/

... short (3-4 mile) runs 3-4x week, then one long run per week with rest days at the proper intervals.

i forgot to say this plan will increase your distance in a way that you should not over-train. even if you feel like you can do more than 3, on a day that you need to do just 3, just do 3. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    He said running three minutes, walking thirty seconds for the duration of the race would often result in a better time than just running the whole thing.

Personally I find that approach to be quite unpleasant, starting to run again after a walk break is quite hard work.