iphone "steps" versus MFP

Options
nm212
nm212 Posts: 570 Member
edited February 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, Has anyone used the new iphone automatic steps calculator? I'm just wondering if this is accurate for counting calories, because I sped walked to work today 25 minutes and it only calculated the number of steps, giving me 45 calorie credit. When I log in 25 min , walking brisk or moderate pace, it's alot more calories burned! (91 for moderate pace) I did break a little sweat so I know I burned calories here...what's the deal? I'm thinking about logging the MFP one instead, but I don't want to overestimate either! Iphone doesn't really account for how fast you are walking, just the number of steps.

What do you think?

Replies

• jalarson23
    jalarson23 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with it and leave it as is because I think MFP overestimates the calories burned. I looked around online for calorie expenditure calculators and they all come out to be less than half of what MFP estimates. Also, I have read that it isn't good to eat back your calories anyway.
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just log the number of steps, I use Pacer and it's fairly accurate all around and it's a free App endorsed by MFP.
  • OnAllFours
    OnAllFours Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think the iphone is largely based on where you have it, purse, pocket, hand, bra. All of these effect how it sees steps. A 25min fast paced walk sounds like you could easily have burnt 91cals. On you way home, put your phone in a different location and see what you get.
  • nm212
    edited February 2015
    Options
    hmm interesting... I think there are different opinions on eating back exercise calories...I hear eating back half is good, especially if you do a really hard workout like spinning or running! Maybe I just will go with what it says and leave MFP out of it, since it is giving me half of what MFP would give me anyway. :)
  • Texas_Toast_27
    Texas_Toast_27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Remember that calories burned while walking are dependent on the distance covered, not on your intensity, which means you will burn the same amount of calories walking a mile if it takes you one hour or ten minutes to cover it.

I used the iPhone as a pedometer for about a week and then decided it was inaccurate enough that I need to upgrade to a more appropriate tool. That being said, remember that all pedometers or accelerometers have their limitations and will not be entirely accurate either. While there is value in tracking activity, I think the biggest value is that they make you conscientious of your choices and how they impact your daily activity levels.
  • nm212
    Options
    Remember that calories burned while walking are dependent on the distance covered, not on your intensity, which means you will burn the same amount of calories walking a mile if it takes you one hour or ten minutes to cover it.

I used the iPhone as a pedometer for about a week and then decided it was inaccurate enough that I need to upgrade to a more appropriate tool. That being said, remember that all pedometers or accelerometers have their limitations and will not be entirely accurate either. While there is value in tracking activity, I think the biggest value is that they make you conscientious of your choices and how they impact your daily activity levels.

Thanks! I didn't know that! Wow, I should take my time walking then lol. Maybe I will walk slower and more leisurely on the way home then. How does intensity not make a difference!!?? I don't understand that... hmm that changes everything about my exercise choices. lol