quesion/debate about women weightlifting

Options

Replies

• Veroniqueavery
    Veroniqueavery Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Looking bulky comes more from having a layer of "fluff" (fat) on top of your muscles. I;ve lifted for three years and have put on roughly 20 pounds of muscle and a few pounds of fat. I have had times where I felt I was getting too bulky and have had to go up in clothing sizes to fit my wide back and big quads. BUT when I get my diet on track and do more cardio I really love the way I look. SO before committing to lifting heavy you have to understand that if you aren't naturally thin, you will have to work to keep your bodyfat percentage down to avoid the "bulky" look when you start to put on muscle.
  • selfmom5
    selfmom5 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I, like you, was always able to lose weight relatively quickly just by adding a bunch of cardio back into my routine when I was younger but have found that more and more difficult to do, for a number of reasons lately (and jeeze, I'm only 27). I decided I had to change because where was I going to be at 47 or 67 if it was already this hard now.

First of all you have to re-examine that statement - if you are constantly in need of dropping weight, it must suggest that the way you are dong it is not sustainable. I know it wasn't for me! For example, during college when I had all the time in the world, I would go the gym for hours and elliptical or run around the track with my friends... until the cows came home, because I had very little time contraints. After college I continued running but at faster paces to make it fit more in my schedule; but running 5-6 days a week is not sustainable for most of us, especially to truly make a difference in your appearance (afterall 6 miles is only ~600 calories and I can eat them back QUICKLY)

So recently I started Stronglifts 5x5 (i've tried other stuff, like p90x but never a real weightlifting program). I've at it for 6 weeks (you lift 3x a week and I have also continued to run 3x a week because I have come to like it, now that it's not a daily chore) and have noticed so many benefits! My whole body looks more toned, I went shopping this past weekend and everything fit, I am happier and feel stronger and have gotten compliments on having lost weight (although i really have only lost like 3 lbs). I really find a combination of lifting and cardio is the most sustainable for me and therefore the best thing in the long run! I can't imagine going back to cardio-ing myself to death.

Hope this helps![/quote

Before, I would only gain weight when I was pregnant and have to work my tail off to lose it. Now, I have an autoimmuine and thyroid issues. Working out and elimating certain foods from my diet have been a huge huge help, but I do go through periods that I'm in a lot of pain and just dragging. They can last days to months. I just recently gained 17lbs in a month. Got meds switched around and am back to working out. It sucks, I don't know when they come on, but it has been over a year since my last one. I ate things I shouldn't have over the holidays and it sent me into one. Lesson learned... Now time to fix myself!
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    womenweights.jpg

You know, one thing that I think MFP folks tend to ignore is that "bulky" is such a subjective term. Of course, most of the people responding don't think the women on the right are bulky, but what if somebody does? And what if they don't want to look like that? What if the goal is just to have a figure like Jessica Alba or Halle Berry?

OP, my suggestion would be to try it. Try the lifting program. It has great rewards besides aesthetics, and if you decide you don't like how your physique is coming along, you can adjust your program at that point.

Bulky is a relative term for sure and everyone has a different opinion on what it is. But women like Jessica Alba do lift and don't get bulky. Don't ask why I know...but Jessica follows a crossfit method. I obviously don't know how what weight she's lifting or what heavy/light would even be for her, but she definitely picks up weights. The bulkiness of one's body while lifting is greatly food related. Someone like Jessica is incredibly strict on calories/diet. They also lift in different ways as well and according to what muscles are their priority. They aren't squatting to failure...but they are certainly squatting.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    womenweights.jpg

You know, one thing that I think MFP folks tend to ignore is that "bulky" is such a subjective term. Of course, most of the people responding don't think the women on the right are bulky, but what if somebody does? And what if they don't want to look like that? What if the goal is just to have a figure like Jessica Alba or Halle Berry?

OP, my suggestion would be to try it. Try the lifting program. It has great rewards besides aesthetics, and if you decide you don't like how your physique is coming along, you can adjust your program at that point.

Bulky is a relative term for sure and everyone has a different opinion on what it is. But women like Jessica Alba do lift and don't get bulky. Don't ask why I know...but Jessica follows a crossfit method. I obviously don't know how what weight she's lifting or what heavy/light would even be for her, but she definitely picks up weights. The bulkiness of one's body while lifting is greatly food related. Someone like Jessica is incredibly strict on calories/diet. They also lift in different ways as well and according to what muscles are their priority. They aren't squatting to failure...but they are certainly squatting.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I guess the main message should be to go ahead and lift, but pick a program that suits the goal.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    womenweights.jpg

Funny you should pick that particular example.
    http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

Haha, I read that article about a month ago, and it's actually what made me think to use her as an example. :smile:
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    womenweights.jpg

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I guess the main message should be to go ahead and lift, but pick a program that suits the goal.

Yep, and many programs can just utilize whatever weight works for you. Someone like Jessica is "tight" for a reason...she makes sure her muscles get worked out with resistance unrelated to a cardio machine. She's very proud of her fitness routine and posts videos of her circuits (lots of dumbbells). She does strength training that works for her. Seems like she various the weight between light and medium...but that's just my guess and I don't know how hard it is for her.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Due to a medical issue, I have more testosterone than most women.

I do heavier lifting--still not bulky.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Here's the picture I post all the time:

On the left, woman at her goal weight. On the right, 15 pounds heavier after a heavy lifting program. Who looks bigger?

bodycomp_zps680e3d53.jpg

Love, love, love seeing this kind of evidence of what lifting can do to sculpt a body!
  • revallyson
    Options
    If you want to learn female-led, female-centric weight lifting, I HIGHLY recommend going to http://www.stumptuous.com/ ... She's been lifting for years, used to be quite pudgy, has worked her *kitten* off (literally), and has a wicked sense of humor. She also has lots of exercises listed, how to do them, videos, etc... for free. There's no cost at all... it's basically just her blog. She's my inspiration when I have down moments. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    revallyson wrote: »
    If you want to learn female-led, female-centric weight lifting, I HIGHLY recommend going to http://www.stumptuous.com/ ... She's been lifting for years, used to be quite pudgy, has worked her *kitten* off (literally), and has a wicked sense of humor. She also has lots of exercises listed, how to do them, videos, etc... for free. There's no cost at all... it's basically just her blog. She's my inspiration when I have down moments. :)

Ooo thank you ...I'm going to have a read :smile:
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Oooh, thank you! I'm really put off by a lot of the male trainers (~cough~BretContreras~cough~) and their very douchey treatment/discussion of women. I do not want to hear what he thinks makes a woman "look hot." I want to hear about women kicking *kitten* and taking names while they get strong, thank you very much.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Oooh, thank you! I'm really put off by a lot of the male trainers (~cough~BretContreras~cough~) and their very douchey treatment/discussion of women. I do not want to hear what he thinks makes a woman "look hot." I want to hear about women kicking *kitten* and taking names while they get strong, thank you very much.

I kinda thought I was the only person who felt that way about Bret Contreras. The man may know his stuff but I hate that article of his that always gets posted.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    selfmom5 wrote: »
    in the past I have been able to lose weight just doing cardio. the older I get the easier it tends to come back on. So, I am wanting to try lifting weights and improving my muscle tone. I am currently reading a book "the new rules of lifting for women" and I am wanting to try lifting weights that are more than the typical 5-8lb dumbells that I normally use. I have friends telling me that they bulked up (man style) lifting heavy weights though. I want definition, I want to see muscle but I don't want to look like a female body builder.
    Also, my hubby is telling me I need to lose the weight first then start building muscle.... its all so confusing! I have 20-30lbs to lose currently.
    Any experienced advice is more than welcome!!

I doubt any women bulked up like men while weight lifting. I've been weight lifting on and off for years, seriously heavy weight lifting for 2 years, and I'm not bulky though I do have more definition and have seen amazing changes in my body.

New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women is an excellent book.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

I kinda thought I was the only person who felt that way about Bret Contreras. The man may know his stuff but I hate that article of his that always gets posted.

I didn't post it because I was interested in his opinion of who is and isn't hot. I posted it because it happened to reference the exact person she mentioned, and because it discusses weight training for that kind of body type, which was what the OP was interested in. It's not why I train or the body I'm going for, but I'm not the OP.

Totally, and tons of people like him and respond to him. I'm not at all saying people shouldn't post it-- I just personally hate the way he comes across in it.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You can lift before you lose the weight if you want to. I was heavy lifting at about 280 lbs and I still lost. Now I am focusing more on cardio because I want to run this year. I still lift, but the focus has changed. This has nothing to do with bulking because I didn't. In fact, I lost a lot more weight than expected when I switched my focus because of the fact that I had an increased muscle mass.

Also - you don't tone, that's one of the BIGGEST myths out there. What happens is you build muscle mass and - as is well known - muscle burns more calories at rest so you will burn the fat off of the top of your muscles and that's just the shape of your muscles. You can't actually tone your muscles.

Good luck!
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is the type of lifting being done. To make gains in hypertrophy (muscle size) beyond a certain point requires a specific and really rather time consuming. Moderately heavy weights (that is a relative term) and lots of reps and sets. The resulting size is not directly proportional to stregnth and seems to simply be an adaptation of the body to reduce the effects of lactic acid. You don't get the same results from cardio because the load is light and there is ample time to dissipate the acid that develops. You don't get it from true stregnth training (lifting heavy) because your reps and sets are by default short. Even men who train for stregnth over size will be smaller and usually not bulky by male standards. Btw, my personal definition of stregnth training/lifting heavy is maximum 3 reps for the stregnth movements. If you can do 4-5 or more reps per set you would need to up the weight til you are really working for that third rep. But that's not necessarily required for what many people here want. 5x5 seems to be the go to for most.
  • Eating at a deficit while lifting will not make you bulky and in all reality it takes a loooooooooooooong time for anyone male or female to put on lean mass even when lifting heavy and eating at a caloric surplus. The more lean mass you have the more calories your body requires in turn burning more fat. So just tune everyone out, follow the program & do work.
  • Torrinos
    Torrinos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am not a woman, but I lift weights for several years already I find it almost insulting that some newbies think they can bulk like Arrrnold after doing few squats.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No one wakes up looking like the Hulk by mistake.

Except, of course, for the Hulk.