Camping food ideas!

2»

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    You don't need to put eggs in the cooler. I've been in Europe for the past three months, and at first it was confusing trying to find eggs. They aren't in the dairy section here, they are in the aisle, on the shelf, unrefrigerated.

Awesome camping food: some lean ground meat, some veggies, and some tin foil. Wrap them all together, put near the fire, and wait!
  • We make packets of veggies (potatoes, carrots, peppers, onion) drizzle a little Olive Oil over them and thrown them on the coals in the fire to cook. Yummy! There's always the low fat hot dogs (Oscar Mayer makes an all beef light one now- 60 calories per hotdog. They also have the turkey dogs- 50 calories each). If you want to stay away from burgers, grill chicken instead, or Morningstar Farm Grillers (vegetarians burgers- they are excellent and that is coming from a meateater!) Fruit, yogurt, cereal for breakfast is ewasy when camping. Corn on the cobb cooked in the coals of the fire is yummy (keep the husk on and the inside cooks to perfection in the heat).
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    bump
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    When we go camping I always bring souvlaki. It's easy to make and is meant for BBQs.

3-4 chicken breasts (you can also use equivilent amounts of pork)
    juice of one lemon
    1/4 olive oil
    1/4 soy sauce (low sodium works best)
    1 tsp oregano
    3 cloves of garlic, crushed

Serve with tzatziki sauce

Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes then mix everything together in a ziplock bag and marinate for at least 2 hours or even better, overnight. Then place on skewers and BBQ for approx 20 minutes depending on BBQ temp and size of chicken pieces.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Green peppers, onions and grape tomatoes on skewers taste great when cooked over a camp fire.

Love kabobs when camping...premarinate all the meat (chicken, pork, beef) in low sodium homeade marinade and put in double zip locks. Stay for a few days in a cold cooler.
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    A bag of lentils,(rinsed) wild onions (free usually while camping - pick them yourself) and any leftover veggies. Start cooking in am and cook in a big pot slow over campfire until afternoon until water is gone and lentils are good and mushy. Add oil to taste and salt to taste. Excellent fiber, protein and carb base to stretch meals out. You can add a flavor packet from the ramon noodles for that neat flavor or cayanne or soy sauce -- but not really needed.

Eat late in day if "gas" is a problem so that "gas" begins in the morning instead in a tent during the night. -lol
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Do you tent camp? Trailer? Cabin? Car? That can make a difference.

Do you have a jetboil or similar stove? I take oatmeal (not instant) and cook it at the cabin instead of the old eggs and bacon and pancakes I used to cook ;) For lunch I try to make sandwich wraps with healthier wraps (lower sodium higher fiber if possible), olive oil and meat and cheese (again lower sodium) as well as spinach and lettuce.

I also bring Chia seeds to add to my oatmeal or cooked wheat berries (Wheat in a thermos).

Take cooked rice and reheat with strips of meat for dinner (whole grain rices only!) and a salad. I know it's not 'fun' camping food but things like that can help.

Another option is to dehydrate foods to take a along and rehydrate when camping
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,649 Member
    Are you kidding me? Camping without S'Mores!?!?!?! We hike and canoe and all kinds of stuff at camp, we stay really active all day long so we can eat what we want since we've worked up the appetite for it. Big key is to remember to drink plenty of water, don't bring soda with you - period.

My husband and I have a seasonal site that we go to at least every other weekend and every time we go, we have S'Mores at least 1 night.

You don't have to eat like 7 or 8 of them. I calculated out my Smore once and its only 125 calories... and I can always fit that in!

Breakfast - if you have access to a camp stove: scrambled eggs with cheese and salsa
    Lunch: PB&J - need the proteins and calories for hiking and what not, with some fruit
    Dinner: hot dogs, brats or chicken sausage, burgers, - without bun if you like

I will also make pizza pudgy pies - pillsbury pizza dough, a little pizza sauce and some cheese.

Dessert: Smores or banana boats. Banana boats are super simple and fun to make. With the peel on, slice about halfway through the banana almost the whole length and spread it open to make a pocket inside. Stuff with a couple mini marshmallows, a couple small squares of chocolate or some peanut butter. Wrap in tin foil and put in the fire near some hot coals for about 10 -15 min, turning once to cook evenly. When done, let it cool for a few min, then unwrap and use the foil as your plate. Eat with a spoon right out of the peel.. SOOO yummy!!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Breakfast:
    Eggs (actually don't need to be refrigerated).
    Pancakes (use your favorite recipe; actually not high cal without all the butter and syrup).
    Oatmeal with some trail mix thrown in.

Lunch or dinner:
    Hobo stew (pre-chop veggies, potatoes, and beef; each person pics what they want and wraps in a foil packet; cook over campfire till done; use beef because there is less risk of foodborne illness from undercooking or storing at too warm a temp).
    Grilled cheese. (bread with cheese; actually grilled over a fire with or without butter)

Snacks:
    Oranges
    Jerky
    Nuts
    Granola bars
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Fruits and veggies. Hard boiled eggs keep well. I also found that bagged salad is good for a couple days in the cooler.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    fresh fruit and veggies are good when camping. Veggies can be cooked wrapped in aluminum foil with meat if you don't want to take a soup pan.

If you take a soup pan anything is possible
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Smores are actually pretty low in calories (if you stick to having just one, I know I could eat several :] )

Fish, grilled chicken, grilled veggies, turkey burgers and load them up with sliced veggies!

And if you're going with someone who is going to eat chips or other snacks, bring along lower calorie snacks to munch on so you don't feel left out or start sampling theirs.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    I love to go camping
    For breakfast you can put scrambled eggs in zip lock baggies and let everyone add their own stuff to it ex bell peppers, mushroom, tomatoes, olives, green onions and put in boiling wster until egg is cooked and you have indivual omelettes

Also yogurt, fresh fruit and granola

Or oatmeal

Lunch
    Sandwiches or wrap sandwiches with fresh fruit and vegetables or crsckers with hummus

Dinner
    Taco salad with melon
    Or
    Taco soup
    Or
    Turkey burgers with fruit salad or green salad
    Or
    Chicken or shrimp kbobs with rice and salad

Snacks
    Popchips
    Fruit or vetables with hummus
    Trail mix
    Beef jerky
    Fiber one bars
    Strawberries with light cream cheese dip
  • JacquiMayCrook
    JacquiMayCrook Posts: 308 Member
    Not sure if it has already been said, but we are planning on taking packet mixes of Ainsley Harriott cous cous with us camping in June. All you need is a bowl and a kettle of water, and you have a low fat meal that tastes great with any BBQ meats or veggies x
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    You can also make couscous by putting it and the hot water in a freezer bag. It cooks right in the bag ;)