Seeking friends and accountability

Options
I'm not new to MFP by any means, but I'm definitely new to the community aspects.

I'm 26 years old, and currently about 10 pounds over my lowest adult weight. I'd like to lose around 25 overall. That's a pretty flexible goal, though. I'm just working on getting fitter and slimmer; numbers are secondary.

Commitment has never been my strong suit, and dieting is no exception to that. I'm feeling good this time around, but time will tell.

I'm looking for friends for some mutual motivation, support, and accountability. I've been using MFP for years with a sad, empty news feed. I'd like to see some new faces there!

Replies

• jenna_re85
    jenna_re85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily, I also struggle with the commitment and accountability end of things. Although I have buckled down and done this in the past (lost 60lbs with weight wathchers a few years ago). So I know I can do it again, if I could only find the motivation. However, after that fabulous weight loss I met my husband we settled down and got comfortable, then married, then came my first pregnancy. I gained 50lbs while pregnant, not to mention the 25 or 30 I gained before I got pregnant just from settling and getting comfortable and going back to some old habits. So I'm now even bigger then I was before and feeling so very unhealthy and miserable with myself. I have a long way to go, but am trying to set short goals that should be easier to stick with. Once I meet a goal I'll move on to a new one. Feel free to add me. I'm really feeling focused and ready right now. like you said tho only time will tell, lol. Good luck!
  • rgdodgeman81
    rgdodgeman81 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hellooo out there! I'm Rob went from 286 lbs to 228 and then got lazy made excuses and stopped lol! Well now I'm back no more excuses I need to get serious about getting healthy. It's not easy for me as I live for food! Good luck to everyone here my inspirational quote has to be " if the path is without obstacles, it most likely leads nowhere " have a great day everyone
  • mamanewland
    mamanewland Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm down 40 lbs and am a super super busy mom of 4. I'll help you any way I can. Add me as a friend!
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    jenna_re85 wrote: »
    Hi Emily, I also struggle with the commitment and accountability end of things. Although I have buckled down and done this in the past (lost 60lbs with weight wathchers a few years ago). So I know I can do it again, if I could only find the motivation. However, after that fabulous weight loss I met my husband we settled down and got comfortable, then married, then came my first pregnancy. I gained 50lbs while pregnant, not to mention the 25 or 30 I gained before I got pregnant just from settling and getting comfortable and going back to some old habits. So I'm now even bigger then I was before and feeling so very unhealthy and miserable with myself. I have a long way to go, but am trying to set short goals that should be easier to stick with. Once I meet a goal I'll move on to a new one. Feel free to add me. I'm really feeling focused and ready right now. like you said tho only time will tell, lol. Good luck!

Hi Jenna! Short term goals are where it's at. Telling yourself you're going to lose 95 pounds (which is what I told myself I'd lose on my first ever diet when I was 18 and bigger than I am now) is pretty demoralizing after a while. No matter how big you are or how hard you're trying, 95 pounds doesn't come off quickly or easily. I think I would have done much better back then if I had aimed for, say, 15-20 pounds, then reevaluated myself from there.

I'm finding it useful to have other goals in mind as well. I have a lovely dress that I bought when I was about 10 pounds lighter, and I'd love to be able to wear that again and feel the way I did before. I also have a somewhat nebulous goal of feeling more comfortable in short shorts and bodycon dresses.
    Hellooo out there! I'm Rob went from 286 lbs to 228 and then got lazy made excuses and stopped lol! Well now I'm back no more excuses I need to get serious about getting healthy. It's not easy for me as I live for food! Good luck to everyone here my inspirational quote has to be " if the path is without obstacles, it most likely leads nowhere " have a great day everyone

Count me as another member of the foodie club. The hardest part of dieting for me is working variety into a calorie-restricted diet, because I love pretty much ALL food.
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm down 40 lbs and am a super super busy mom of 4. I'll help you any way I can. Add me as a friend!

Woo, 40 pounds! That's fantastic. Moms are so impressive, how any of you get time to so much as cook for yourself is beyond me.
  • tavislemley
    tavislemley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm Tavis nice to meet you I didn't even know they had a community on here. I've lost 26 lbs using mfp in the past two months and am usually on everyday. If you're looking for an encouriging friend with commitment I can totally do that! I got my whole family on this and have them going to the gym everyday as well:) I like to snapchat while I'm at the gym too so feel free to add me as a friend on here if you'd like! Super hard but the more friends the easier it is:)