Shoe recommendations for workouts

Options
I have been looking for a new pair of tennis shoes to use at the gym. I usually buy New Balance and in the past had to buy a certain style for over pronation that would fit my custom made foot orthotics in them and they cost like $160. I would get new ones every 6 months also. I really don't want to pay that much for the shoes this time. Any suggestions? I usually do the elliptical, treadmill walking 4.0 MPH w incline, strength training w weight machines, stair climber machine at my gym. I haven't been wearing my custom made foot orthotics for the last year or so since I have lost alot of weight and don't have the foot pain I once had needing to use them all the time. I tried a pair of Fila's but returned them after walking around the house a few times in them. I have to admit I've bought New Balance shoes that last 15 years or so.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of nice running and cross training shoes and by far my favorites are my lowly Chuck Taylors. I just don't run in them.
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Something that might help your shoes last longer is to have a different pair for running/walking and different pair for cross training. I find that I can have my cross trainers last for a year and can get away with a cheaper one and have a set one for my running, those usually last me about 6ish months as I run outside and it tears down the tread a bit more I would imagine than treadmill. I find that I'll cheap out on all my "nice" shoes and go expensive for my workout shoes because I'm in them so much! :wink:
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've been looking at the Brooks brand but they are as costly as the higher priced New Balance styles I have noticed.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Asics are my running shoes of choice.

Unless I'm doing something high impact like running or a crazy amount of walking, I don't have a shoe preference at all.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If it matters to you, New Balance is the only major athletic shoe brand still made in America.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    spfldpam wrote: »
    I usually do the elliptical, treadmill walking 4.0 MPH w incline, strength training w weight machines, stair climber machine at my gym.

Skateboard shoes are perfect for those activities, because of their low heel. Most shoes on the market, including most New Balance, have a raised heel, which isn't good for the body (unless you're running - then it's an option). Other low-heeled options include Keds, Converse, and "minimalist shoes". Pick whichever you find comfortable.

pm2f4xN.jpg