Options
2»

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I'm curious to see how they're going to reconcile the more lean meat vs less red meat issue. They have contradictory guidelines right now in the draft plan, because lean red meat exists, but they don't make any exception for it one way or the other.

More skinless chicken and turkey breasts, and more lean pork.

What bothers me more is that all the studies I've seen that say red meat is bad conflate regular cuts (steak, chops, etc) with processed meats (hot dogs, bologna, etc) and treat them as equals. Considering the difference between red meat and white has more to do with whether the species does a lot of walking (or swimming, as is the case with tuna and shark) and has slow-twitch muscles (cows, deer, ostriches) or more sprinting-type movements and has fast-twitch muscles (pigs, chickens - except their legs, which are slow-twitch, turkeys), I'm more inclined to believe that the health issues those studies found had less to do with red meat, and more to do with processed meat until I find a study that actually differentiates the two.

This is a great question. I absolutely agree we eat too much sugar. ABSOLUTELY.
    But yes, I questioned lumping red meat with processed meat, which seems common.

What would you consider a good amount for sugar intake? I never look at mine, but this prompted me to. I average about 40g a day. I don't know what that means in terms of this information though.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm curious to see how they're going to reconcile the more lean meat vs less red meat issue. They have contradictory guidelines right now in the draft plan, because lean red meat exists, but they don't make any exception for it one way or the other.

What bothers me more is that all the studies I've seen that say red meat is bad conflate regular cuts (steak, chops, etc) with processed meats (hot dogs, bologna, etc) and treat them as equals. Considering the difference between red meat and white has more to do with whether the species does a lot of walking (or swimming, as is the case with tuna and shark) and has slow-twitch muscles (cows, deer, ostriches) or more sprinting-type movements and has fast-twitch muscles (pigs, chickens - except their legs, which are slow-twitch, turkeys), I'm more inclined to believe that the health issues those studies found had less to do with red meat, and more to do with processed meat until I find a study that actually differentiates the two.

What would you consider a good amount for sugar intake? I never look at mine, but this prompted me to. I average about 40g a day. I don't know what that means in terms of this information though.
    The WHO has recently put out a draft of its new recommendations...they say no more than 5% of calories should be from sugar...which is 25 grams for the 2000 calorie diet that is always referenced. Their old recommendation was 10%. However, that is just added sugar and sugar from juice. WHO is not including fruits and vegetables in that limit.

The American Heart Association recommends a 100 calorie limit (25 grams). Again, this is just added sugar. You can eat more fruit, veggies, dairy.

For reference, one bottle of regular soda has over 40 grams.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

The WHO has recently put out a draft of its new recommendations...they say no more than 5% of calories should be from sugar...which is 25 grams for the 2000 calorie diet that is always referenced. Their old recommendation was 10%. However, that is just added sugar and sugar from juice. WHO is not including fruits and vegetables in that limit.

The American Heart Association recommends a 100 calorie limit (25 grams). Again, this is just added sugar. You can eat more fruit, veggies, dairy.

Looks like I've got some work to do then! Thanks for the info :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

According to the guidelines
    but for the first time the panel recommended that Americans limit it to no more than 10 percent of daily calories — roughly 12 teaspoons a day for many adults — because of its link to obesity and chronic disease.

even that's too much for me, personally. I try not to eat any food with more than 3 grams of added sugars. So my ketchup, my bread, my cereal etc. don't have more than 3 grams of sugar. But that's me. I don't need a crap ton of sugar in my food where it's not needed. No a few grams in ketchup isn't much, but some ketchup and sugar+some salad dressing and some sugar+bread and some sugar+peanut butter and some sugar, plus a soda of sugar, plus pizza crust with sugar++++++++
  • MoiAussi93
    edited February 2015
    Options

If you're averaging 40 grams, you may actually be within these guidelines. The number mfp tracks includes the sugar in fruits, vegetables and dairy. So if that's where you are getting your average, it is almost certainly overestimating your added sugar.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info!
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info!
    You're welcome. :smile:

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

If you're averaging 40 grams, you may actually be within these guidelines. The number mfp tracks includes the sugar in fruits, vegetables and dairy. So if that's where you are getting your average, it is almost certainly overestimating your added sugar.

Good point, yes. MFP does NOT distinguish between an apple and a donut with respect to sugar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options

For reference, one bottle of regular soda has over 40 grams.

I like the WHO guidelines better, definitely. If you're going to track added sugars, you really have to do it separately now. Which is why I go with no more than 3 grams per serving.

ETA: I posted to MFP suggestions asking if they were planning ahead to this and how they would track added sugars (which will require labeling changes).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    TL;DR. I'm just gonna keep eating my varied diet that includes things that the guideline probably thinks I shouldn't eat, do my workouts, and yada yada.
  • MoiAussi93
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    TL;DR. I'm just gonna keep eating my varied diet that includes things that the guideline probably thinks I shouldn't eat, do my workouts, and yada yada.
    Uh...Okay.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Not a surprise in the slightest!

And you'll see the number on the scale go down, and be happy as a clam.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Not a surprise in the slightest!

And you'll see the number on the scale go down, and be happy as a clam.
    Yes, but the guidelines aren't talking about scale numbers, they're talking about mortality. Which was probably your point as well. :)

We are not talking here about recommendations for the total amount of calories you should eat. These recommendations assume you’re eating the proper amount of calories, and seek to govern the proportion of nutrients within them.