sugar craving help

Options
i think its getting to that time of month i was all ready to start eating well after i got back from vacation i did loose 5 pounds of what i gained on vaca but now im having these cravings ugh. they are so strong why does this happen :(

Replies

• melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe sugar is an addiction and at least for me the more sugar I have the more I crave! I gave up sugar and artificial sweeteners a few years ago and after a few months I honestly didn't crave it Anymore. I slipped back last year and it's been hard to give it up again but I'm taking it one day at a time. When you're craving something sweet try some flavored water (I know it's not the same) but you have to fight through it.
  • irishladyo
    irishladyo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know its still artificially sweetened but when I'm having a sugar craving I get a couple of (just a couple) sugar free wafer cookies and some sugar free cool whip. It does the trick. I agree with melly0405- I think sugar is an addiction too. the less I eat it the less I crave it.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    work it in. I had a piece of donut on tuesday, part of a milkshake yesterday, and two quarters of cupcakes today. if you want it, make it fit.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    yup totally agree! but it is harder at 'that time'. i struggle big time with not snacking. i plan my meals for the whole day in the morning. whats left for snacks is whats left and i can only work with that!
  • brandibare
    brandibare Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try a good quality, high coca % chocolate. Not too much so it still fits in your day of course. Just a little per day so you can slowly reduce again.
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I feel you! I have a big sweet tooth and over the past holidays I've let my healthy diet slip by making sugar one of my major food groups :( I became extremely serious about it this year and I've given it up completely by substituting with stevia (a natural 0-calorie sweetener) and I put it everywhere, from coffee to homemade, healthy protein muffins. I also bought a big tub of good-tasting protein powder that tastes like vanilla cookies, so I just have a shake or 2 a day as well. I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners but sometimes I can't help it if I'm at work and the craving hits so I use Splenda sometimes. Otherwise, I've not eaten sugar in months. Another key for success for me has been getting enough protein, especially if you're working out (about 0.5-1 g of protein per lb, if you're 140 lbs, at least 140 grams of protein). I've become much much leaner because of this. Oh and if the craving really gets bad, I buy a Quest protein bar and oh my goodness that takes care of the craving fast. It has a ton of protein and fiber and many are sweetened with Stevia now.
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard...Distract yourself!
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Are you restricting sugar a lot? I've noticed that sometimes when we tell ourselves we can't have something, we tend to want it more. For example, I love pizza. I used to eat whole large pizzas by myself. Then when I first tried to diet, I cut out pizza entirely. I made it into a negative thing, and then when I was at my weakest, I would crack and go eat a whole pizza just like before, and I'd be back at square one.

Now I am focusing more on moderation, and I let myself have whatever I want, as long as I'm within my calorie range. Because I know I can have it if I want, I don't freak out about it as much, and I don't crave it as much. I've basically had to change my whole attitude about food in general. I've been able to stick with this way of thinking for the past two months which is longer than I have ever stuck to any kind of diet, and I've lost 17lbs.

I don't know if that would work for you, but hopefully it will give you something to think about. I wish you luck.