Running Question

Options

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I agree with the speed suggestions. When I first started running, I felt ridiculous because the pace felt so slow; however, it was sustainable. Other than that, I'd practice running (not walking) for as long as possible and work up from there. One day, you can run for 2 minutes straight; the next day, three minutes, and so on. Just keep working up. Five years ago, when wifey and I started, we were just walking. We got frustrated, but kept with it, and eventually were running five miles at a go. Just stay patient, because it definitely takes time.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I’ve been running for about 6 years now, on and off: sometimes 5k every day, other times 10k per week, or sometimes 0 for months on end. I’m not a sprint runner - slow and steady works for me (i.e. 25-30min/5k). Great tips above, but to add my two cents:

Two things. First, start at whatever pace is comfortable for you to maintain. Don’t look to standards of what is fast/slow/running/jogging: the only reference that matters is your own body and ability. I personally find that I prefer starting a bit slower and then increasing the speed as I get acclimated. I don’t like my heart to jump out of my chest to the point that it’s painful to breathe, and I don’t think that serves any purpose other than making you want to run out of the gym / drop to the ground in the fetal position.

Second, I find that the first 5-10 minutes of running are hard when I’m out of practice. I start getting cramps in my shoulder, my sides, and it feels super uncomfortable. I run through that pain and then find the sweet spot.

This is just what works for me, but it might also work for you. And don’t be discouraged, it’s definitely a process, but you’ll get there! :smile:

Oh, a final thing: I prefer to add difficulty by increasing the elevation of the treadmill (for when I run at the gym) rather than increasing speed. Just a thought.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When I'm planning for a distance run, I always aim to maintain a pace where I could hold a conversation with someone else. You can be a little breathless for it, but if you can't speak at all, then you're probably going a little fast. I did my first 5K in October 2014, and will be doing my first Half Marathon in June (YIKES!). I'm looking forward to it, but know that I will be working on maintaining a steady pace to get me through it. Good Luck!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    First of all, Congrats on the weight loss... That's huge!

I find every time I lose weight my speed improves. Last year I was doing 13 minute miles and this year I'm 20 pounds lighter and doing 9 minute miles.

Also do some strength training... not just in your legs but in your core as well. It does help.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Jaxsonjess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I probaby just stomp! :) I walk really hard too, So I would think I would be a heel strike...am I understanding this right.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    red0801 wrote: »
    Have you ever looked @ your stride/landing?

Check this out. I was amazed how much form helped me increase endurance & reduce pain.

http://www.goodformrunning.com/learn-good-form-videos/166-forefoot-versus-midfoot-versus-heel-strike

These videos have been great and very helpful! Thanks for posting!
  • Jaxsonjess
    Options
    First of all, Congrats on the weight loss... That's huge!

I find every time I lose weight my speed improves. Last year I was doing 13 minute miles and this year I'm 20 pounds lighter and doing 9 minute miles.

Also do some strength training... not just in your legs but in your core as well. It does help.

Thanks!! Also I am assuming the lower I get in weight it will just be plain easier also, I mean I still weigh alot.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Jaxsonjess wrote: »
    Thanks ! I never thought of going slower, I thought I was already moving like a turtle! :)

Nothing wrong with being a turtle. The turtle won the race! Slow and steady.
  • eshults89
    eshults89 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just slow down! Seriously! Running isn't about sprinting or going fast (well to most of us haha). A lot of my running friends couldn't do a marathon because its too slow for them. Long runs are brutal because they are slow and boring (on purpose!) You have to hold yourself back! Think about it that way. You could go faster, but you are going for a longer time, so physically hold back! Just chill out and jog! You can do it!! I am sure of it!! Good luck :)
  • Jaxsonjess
    Options
    Yes I am going to give it a shot and see what I can do. I just assumed I was already going slow. But from the great advise I have got on here. I will slow down and see how far I can go :)
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great thread guys. Never been into cardio and I'm training for Tough Mudder. I like how some of you experienced runners state that it's mostly mental. Trying to get past the 3 mile mark but can't seem to do it.
  • jimspivey8
    jimspivey8 Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There's nothing wrong at all with walking occasionally during a run to catch your breath. If it means a lot to you to keep running, then as everyone has mentioned, you'll need to slow down. An alternative is to not worry about it and focus instead on sustaining activity. 30 minutes of alternating running/walking is a great workout. Be proud of it. If you keep doing it regularly you'll be able to go faster for longer.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Options
    Thanks alot! Yah I am happy about that and I know I do get in a great workout and breaking it down I am "running" at least half of it. Plus my heart rate stays up in those two min of walking so I know it is great for me. I think it would just be a success for me to be able to do a mile straight, and I am sure I could- so yah maybe it is a mental thing for me. But I am going to try slowing down and see what I can do. I will let everyone know!! :wink:
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Try to slow down a little. That will help out. When I first started running again it was painful and I was painfully slow. I was but as I kept up the training, stayed focus and got stronger my walk breaks were fewer and I was running faster. Now I have no walk breaks at all even when I did my marathon.

I think a lot of people have the idea that running is easy and it really isn't. Some days are great and you feel like you could go hours....some days are just crap and you count every step. Trust me, I counted every step of my run Tuesday. It takes time. Just put on some good tunes and enjoy the journey. You will get there.
  • mizfiesta70
    Options
    Really helpful, informative reply Grimmeanor.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people have the idea that running is easy and it really isn't. Some days are great and you feel like you could go hours....some days are just crap and you count every step. Trust me, I counted every step of my run Tuesday. It takes time. Just put on some good tunes and enjoy the journey. You will get there.

This!!! I completely agree with this. It’s not always easy to find the groove. Sometimes you just have to push through, and other times it feels like you could fly. I definitely counted the seconds during a run last week.
  • Jaxsonjess
    Options
    Well don't know if anyone will check this but I slowed it down and I was able to run 15 min straight and stopped for 5 cause I was happy, I did a whole mile!! Then I did 5 more min. I just turned it down like .5 on the speed!!! I was extatic!!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    That is great to hear! Before long you will be running two miles...then three miles...well you get the point. Once you get the running bug it is hard to let go. :smiley:
  • Jaxsonjess
    Options
    I ran two the last week and last night !!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have it all figured out. Just be careful not to add too much too soon to the total distance you run in a week.