Stronglifts 5x5 for women: pictures and advice?

Options
aliciamarieUF
aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone! I posted a thread yesterday about this super intense 2.5 workout that an inexperienced personal trainer gave me and asked MFP members for their opinions. Quite a few people suggested strong lifts 5x5. I tried it today and enjoyed it, although it was extremely difficult. I was wondering if any women here have pictures of their progress following this workout plan? I think it's something I can stick with. I am trying to lose about 15 pounds and tone up. Here are some progress pics taken yesterday after a 26 pound weight loss. Getting there slowly but have to fix my frowning butt.

PS: Does anyone deal with doing this workout on the Smith Machine? I'm unfortunately at Planet Fitness and it's pretty much what they have.

n2zwb42ndksx.jpg

ukpdyohf3agx.jpg

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    There is a Stronglifts for women group on here that may have more support and pics.

I started out doing SL on a Smith at PF. I later switched gyms and stared doing it with barbells and it was a whole different animal. I had to drop weights a great deal because I had not developed core strength or stabilizer muscles due to the Smith. I would recommend looking into other gyms personally.
  • albeus51
    albeus51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, 5x5 is the bestest. You should get away from Planet Fitness as SOON AS feasible. I understand limitations in locations and prices, but driving further is worth it. I highly recommend using free weight barbells for your training, you will get higher quality results and your form will be better. I hate to say it but - if you are using the Smith Machine you are not doing 5x5.
    Here is a before and after doing 5x5 for six months... I'm by no means skinny, but I am much more powerful and stronger than before. Deadlift went from 165lb to 245b! Which is why I lift anyway. All dem gains. Best of luck in your goals, lift all the things!
    2u1mx44kmb1d.png
  • aliciamarieUF
    Options
    albeus51 wrote: »
    Yes, 5x5 is the bestest. You should get away from Planet Fitness as SOON AS feasible. I understand limitations in locations and prices, but driving further is worth it. I highly recommend using free weight barbells for your training, you will get higher quality results and your form will be better. I hate to say it but - if you are using the Smith Machine you are not doing 5x5.
    Here is a before and after doing 5x5 for six months... I'm by no means skinny, but I am much more powerful and stronger than before. Deadlift went from 165lb to 245b! Which is why I lift anyway. All dem gains. Best of luck in your goals, lift all the things!
    2u1mx44kmb1d.png

You look great!
  • aliciamarieUF
    Options
    There is a Stronglifts for women group on here that may have more support and pics.

I started out doing SL on a Smith at PF. I later switched gyms and stared doing it with barbells and it was a whole different animal. I had to drop weights a great deal because I had not developed core strength or stabilizer muscles due to the Smith. I would recommend looking into other gyms personally.

Thank you, I appreciate it.
  • aliciamarieUF
    Options
    Also on the days I'm supposed to be resting from the weights, (Thursday, Friday) is it OK to go into the gym for an hour of cardio?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You look great! Nice job on the weight loss.

Here's the Stonglift's women's group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

There's some pictures in there.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Also on the days I'm supposed to be resting from the weights, (Thursday, Friday) is it OK to go into the gym for an hour of cardio?

Officially, Mehdi advises not to. Many people do. When it was warm on two of my off days I would run a mile and a half and bike two miles. I was lifting lighter weight then. I would say you have to play it by ear and you may get to a point where the cardio is affecting your recovery on weights. At this point I just bust out a 10 minute mile after lifting and find it helps me be less sore. Seems to loosen up my legs and lower back a bit after squats and especially squat and deadlift day.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Absolutely, that is what some people do on days they are resting from lifting is they do cardio.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    8QTdiAq.jpg?1

OoGYPYr.jpg?2

I believe it's Left to top middle=NRoLFW
    Top middle to bottom middle is Stronglifts 5x5
    Middle bottom to right to last shot is Strong Curves
  • albeus51
    albeus51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome transformation Daiako! You are inspiring!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    8QTdiAq.jpg?1

OoGYPYr.jpg?2

I feel like I need to look into Strong Curves.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I feel like I need to look into Strong Curves.

No kidding! Wow.
  • aliciamarieUF
    Options
    8QTdiAq.jpg?1

OoGYPYr.jpg?2

You look great. :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If there is any way you can get a bar and not use the smith machine, that would be best. The path a smith machine takes is not always optimal (stress to joints) and you’re not engaging as many stabilizing muscles. Free the weights!
  • stargazgal
    stargazgal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm on the beginners strong curves! Week5-8. Wow! Hope I look like this when I'm done. Lol. Have 30 lbs to lose though!
    8QTdiAq.jpg?1

OoGYPYr.jpg?2

Did u do beginner and then advanced??
    You look strong and sexy!

• dawkpound2k
    dawkpound2k Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    8QTdiAq.jpg?1

OoGYPYr.jpg?2

That is an amazing change. Great job

• barneychavez
    barneychavez Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    8QTdiAq.jpg?1

OoGYPYr.jpg?2

Awesome!! You look fantastic! Just started Strong Curves a little awhile ago!
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I do SL 5x5 after doing a 4 week split program to get me to a place where I felt comfortable doing it. I love it, and I do it at PF. Waiting for the squat rack is worth it.

Also, I'm the *kitten* that steals the bar from the incline bench press to do deadlifts. Sorry. 0:)
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    stargazgal wrote: »
    I'm on the beginners strong curves! Week5-8. Wow! Hope I look like this when I'm done. Lol. Have 30 lbs to lose though!
    8QTdiAq.jpg?1

OoGYPYr.jpg?2

Did u do beginner and then advanced??
    You look strong and sexy!

I actually started with the body weight program, as at the time I was without a gym, and it served me very well. Moved on to advanced after that and now I'm doing a modified version of advanced (I sub some things out due to equipment but adhere to the template.)

Thanks everyone. Strength training has been amazing for my body composition and muscle retention, but of course a calorie deficit was key to weight loss.