fitbit charge hr reviews

Sammydc135
Sammydc135 Posts: 13 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,

just wondered if anyone has the fitbit charge hr and if you find the heart rate monitior accurate as i've read mixed reviews.

Replies

• lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    I actually posted this answer in another post but might be helpful

*My fitbit and mfp sync but It just takes a min for them to update after I've entered new data. No biggie if you know to wait a minute. Also I sometimes find closing out app, wait, and reopen works great.
    *I love my fitbit charge! So happy I got it. Only negatives so far; I need to move it throughout my work out because I lose the hr due to sweat, but since I figured that out and move it, it works great; I do the treadmill a lot and noticed that the distance is always off by .5miles at least. I use my arms throughout, always moving. Helps me get a good overall workout, not sure if that's why it doesn't pick up. Lastly...after a workout, which I set my timer on and record, I categorize/label it. I wish it would transfer to mfp. It only transfers over my calories burned (it's either what I burned or calories burned difference btn mfp and Fitbit) I try not to use my workout calories so that part doesn't bug me its just that I need to log in my exercise and calories in mfp, have it show up on my thread and then delete it ( it remains on thread after), I do this so "my friends" see what I've done.
    Not sure I helped but that's what I know
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,138 Member
    Compared to a (good) strap or a mio fuse or scorsche rhythm+ it is innacurate during intense exercise.

On the other hand it is fairly accurate during steady state exercise assuming you don't sweat excessively.

It is useless for HIIT, or anything that raises/lowers your heart rate within 1 to 2 minutes as it takes a while to ramp up and twice as long to ramp down compared to other HR monitors.

Having said that, the community, web site, the pretty pictures, the app, and the integration with mfp are all good.

For me it is a case where the ecosystem makes the product in spite of the product's shortcomings.

Buy it from someplace you can return it if you find the inaccuracies bug you too much.

What else are you considering?
    What are you hoping to get out of a HRM?
  • MrsDRS54
    MrsDRS54 Posts: 17 Member
    I've had my Fitbit Charge HR for a little over a week. I'm waiting to see the Apple Event on March 9 to see if the Apple Watch will keep or drop the fitness/health features. If it will have the heart rate monitor and other fitness features as originally described last September, I'll be returning the Fitbit and buying the Apple Watch in April....but I'm an Apple fan from way back
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    lavrn03 wrote: »
    I actually posted this answer in another post but might be helpful

*My fitbit and mfp sync but It just takes a min for them to update after I've entered new data. No biggie if you know to wait a minute. Also I sometimes find closing out app, wait, and reopen works great.
    *I love my fitbit charge! So happy I got it. Only negatives so far; I need to move it throughout my work out because I lose the hr due to sweat, but since I figured that out and move it, it works great; I do the treadmill a lot and noticed that the distance is always off by .5miles at least. I use my arms throughout, always moving. Helps me get a good overall workout, not sure if that's why it doesn't pick up. Lastly...after a workout, which I set my timer on and record, I categorize/label it. I wish it would transfer to mfp. It only transfers over my calories burned (it's either what I burned or calories burned difference btn mfp and Fitbit) I try not to use my workout calories so that part doesn't bug me its just that I need to log in my exercise and calories in mfp, have it show up on my thread and then delete it ( it remains on thread after), I do this so "my friends" see what I've done.
    Not sure I helped but that's what I know
    Could you tell me how I can label my workouts, please? Do I just do that in the app?

As for accuracy, it's the only HRM I've owned, so I really don't know. I have a heart condition, so it's nice to have on during the day and I can check, if I start to feel funny, that my heart rate has increased or decreased.

• CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    I've had mine for 7 weeks and I love it. I find the HR pretty accurate and get into 160s during hill workouts; the ''at rest'' seems pretty accurate too. Best $150 spent in a long time.
  • Sammydc135
    Sammydc135 Posts: 13 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Compared to a (good) strap or a mio fuse or scorsche rhythm+ it is innacurate during intense exercise.

On the other hand it is fairly accurate during steady state exercise assuming you don't sweat excessively.

It is useless for HIIT, or anything that raises/lowers your heart rate within 1 to 2 minutes as it takes a while to ramp up and twice as long to ramp down compared to other HR monitors.

Having said that, the community, web site, the pretty pictures, the app, and the integration with mfp are all good.

For me it is a case where the ecosystem makes the product in spite of the product's shortcomings.

Buy it from someplace you can return it if you find the inaccuracies bug you too much.

What else are you considering?
    What are you hoping to get out of a HRM?

I've been looking for something that will help me get more accurate stats from my workout without wearing the chest strap. As i don't really trust the machine or mfp calorie burnt counter. I was looking at the fitbit so i can measure hr during my workout as well as thoroughout the day as if i went for a chest strap it'd only be during my workouts. I just dont want to spend the money and it feel like a waste.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Labeling the workout in fitbit? When I click on my exercise, it has a categorize exercise button, it can be labelled then
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Thanks to the fitbit, I discovered I have a low heart rate--a condition called Bradycardia. I was looking at the heart rate on the watch and it said 53, and I thought it must not be working properly. But then I used the clock to measure it and it was right on. Thanks fitbit! But I'm not sure how useful the fitbit will be for me, since the last time I exercised my heart rate just didn't go up very far, and said I was only in the fat-burn zone.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    I love mine so far! I My gym has chest strap hr monitors for classes and my Charge hr is always close to the chest strap hr monitor, so I'd say its pretty accurate.