are calories for peanuts and peanut butter too low in mfp?

Options
The numbers for peanuts and peanuts butter seem too low in mfp. The nutrition facts on the back of my bag of peanuts says a whopping 290 calories per a third of a cup. But mfp says way less. Which is right?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your bag is more correct than a random general entry in the database. Use the information from your bag. Make your own entry if you need to.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Not all the entries in the database are correct. Go with what you have if you can't find the right one, and edit an entry to make it correct.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Peanuts - All types, dry-roasted, without salt
    .333 cups = 283 calories

That's pretty close to what your bag says.

MFP's peanut butter entry "Peanut butter - Smooth style, with salt" is also nearly identical to a comparable serving of the kind in my cupboard.

So no, MFP's entries don't seem off. It's possible, however, that you are using a user-entered database entry, and those can be very inaccurate. Look for the entries without an asterisk. It's also possible the entry for peanuts you selected was for peanuts in the shell. Obviously 1/3 cup of peanuts in the shell is fewer calories than 1/3 cup of shelled peanuts.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If you've got the app, I find the easiest way to grab something like that is to scan it. That way, you aren't stuck trying to decide which of the 100 entries for peanuts is the one you want to use.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Peanuts and peanut butter are crazy high in calories (and protein). Go with the info on the bag. The entries that pop up when you search are entered by random people and may not reflect your item properly. I only use the search feature for new things that I totally have no clue what to enter.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I usually check several entries in MFP to find one that closely matches what the package says. Sometimes the entry is ridiculously low and sometimes crazy-high. But many of them are close enough.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    If you've got the app, I find the easiest way to grab something like that is to scan it. That way, you aren't stuck trying to decide which of the 100 entries for peanuts is the one you want to use.

The scanner isn't always correct, either. I had a bottle of tea come up as a chicken wrap once, but I've also seen the info come up different from what was on the label.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the database includes entries created by users like us and official MFP entries. If you're having trouble finding an entry that matches your label then create an entry for it and then it will be there for future use.

Some entries are just plain wrong. Some are different variations of a product for another country (obviously not the case for peanuts).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    apfei wrote: »
    The numbers for peanuts and peanuts butter seem too low in mfp. The nutrition facts on the back of my bag of peanuts says a whopping 290 calories per a third of a cup. But mfp says way less. Which is right?

find the correct entry...there are a million entries for everything, many of which are user entered and contain errors.

Find the correct one. Enter the name of the actual brand of whatever you're using rather than something generic. For bulk things like veggies, meat, etc tag it with "USDA"
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Your bag is more correct than a random general entry in the database. Use the information from your bag. Make your own entry if you need to.
    Peanuts are not liquid--you will be more accurate still if you weigh them.

These.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yup, scan it and weigh it. You can find some messed up entries...