Unsolicited Advice

LizLSB
LizLSB Posts: 8 Member
This post will be more of a vent than a question, really. I'm happy to be losing weight at a slow and steady, reasonable pace of 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. I started this journey about 100 lbs overweight. I'm comfortable with my food choices, and I now exercise 4-5 times a week, mostly spinning and strength training. One of my friends is a Paleo enthusiast (evangelist). She posts constantly about Paleo: recipes, tips, benefits, etc., and in addition to posting it, she sends it to me personally, no matter what my response. She insists I would lose weight faster her way, but I am not convinced that's optimal. My doctor says I have no gluten or dairy tolerance issues, and all my blood work checks out great! Anyone else have diet pushers in your path?

Replies

• craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    No, I can't say that I do. Just stay on your path and hold your ground. Good for her wanting to lose weight fast, she will just gain it back!!! Slow and Steady is the best way and she fill soon find that out!!
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Send your friend this...

Debunking the paleo diet: Christina Warinner at TED
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

Very good link!
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    I have a few friends that sell.. shakes. They Think my hard work is for nothing, when I could have just drank the shakes.
    Just laugh at them.

45lbs... sha. That anit nothing!
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Unfortunately, before one fad diet fades from popularity, 5 or 10 more pop up to take it's place.

The Paleo diet is supposedly based on what cavemen ate. But researchers have debunked the theory that cavemen restricted their food choices to foods that are allowed on that diet.

Your weight loss sounds right on target to me, so don't worry about what anyone else thinks you should be eating.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Perhaps you should remind your friend that the paleo diet (reputedly) based on a diet of a people who had a life expectancy of about 30 years of age.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    This post will be more of a vent than a question, really. I'm happy to be losing weight at a slow and steady, reasonable pace of 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. I started this journey about 100 lbs overweight. I'm comfortable with my food choices, and I now exercise 4-5 times a week, mostly spinning and strength training. One of my friends is a Paleo enthusiast (evangelist). She posts constantly about Paleo: recipes, tips, benefits, etc., and in addition to posting it, she sends it to me personally, no matter what my response. She insists I would lose weight faster her way, but I am not convinced that's optimal. My doctor says I have no gluten or dairy tolerance issues, and all my blood work checks out great! Anyone else have diet pushers in your path?

She probably thinks she is doing you a favour, when all she is really doing is most likely putting you off trying that method for life.

I haven't had people push dietary methods at me, but I have had other stuff such as a born-again Christian having a good old go, but that is another story :laugh:

Tell her no more or just ignore her emails and refuse to discuss Paleo with her too, it isn't your interest or your method, how would she like it if you continually sent stuff on your method to her and insisted your way was better? I suspect she would hang, draw and quarter you.

Don't be bullied, even if it is by friends.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    If my friends have advice, I will listen and digest. If it is not relevant to me, they should back off. If they won't, I think it reveals their own insecurities.....
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    This kind of thing is pretty rife in the fitness communities. Everyone has their own "path" so to speak, and most people will try to impose their methods on others, even to the point of unwanted advice.

Paleo is an especially tenacious brand of bullsh*t. Its followers usually only read publications on paleo websites, and usually ignore the contrary evidence to its efficacy. This stems from their cultish mentality to fit in. She's probably got a crossfit box full of people who have all taken up the Paleo lifestyle, and turning her back on that is sort of social suicide.
  • LizLSB
    Thanks for the link and congratulations on your inspiring weightloss!
  • LizLSB
    Thanks everyone. I think she means well, but I just to ignore her. My way is working well for me!