Looking for Good High Calorie Foods

Options
Hello all! I am currently underweight a few pounds due to an eating disorder and really need to increase my calories, before they decide if I need to go to rehabilitation. It is extremely difficult for me to find high calorie foods that are also nutritious. I also cannot consume a lot of food without feeling the need to purge. What I'm asking for is some suggestions for small servings of high calorie foods that are also nutritious and will not let me gain bad fat. I need good calories! So, what are some of your favoritefavorite nutritious high calorie snacks/meals? If you have any other advice I would greatly appreciate it! I'm really struggling to gain enough healthy weight

Replies

• LaceyRuth
    LaceyRuth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Full fat yogurt and nuts are the first things that come to my mind, but I'm sure, with a little digging, we can find more variety
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It would probably be a good idea to see if you can make an appt with a dietitian who has experience working with disordered eating patterns.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • megablackk1d
    megablackk1d Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It would probably be a good idea to see if you can make an appt with a dietitian who has experience working with disordered eating patterns.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses

Basically everything you need right here
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    That list is pretty comprehensive. I'll also add that it might be easier physically and/or metally to consume some calories in liquid form. A juice or a smoothie perhaps
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    shancoll7 wrote: »
    Hello all! I am currently underweight a few pounds due to an eating disorder and really need to increase my calories, before they decide if I need to go to rehabilitation. It is extremely difficult for me to find high calorie foods that are also nutritious. I also cannot consume a lot of food without feeling the need to purge. What I'm asking for is some suggestions for small servings of high calorie foods that are also nutritious and will not let me gain bad fat. I need good calories! So, what are some of your favoritefavorite nutritious high calorie snacks/meals? If you have any other advice I would greatly appreciate it! I'm really struggling to gain enough healthy weight

i think you need to talk to your treatment team, because your thinking about food is disordered.

There is no "bad fat'…if you gain fat it is just fat. It is neither good or bad. yes, if you get too fat then there will be health consequences; however, body fat performs necessary functions for your body and there is nothing inherently "bad" about a normal body fat %/range…

There is no "bad" or "good" food. THere is just food that your body uses for energy. If you have problems consuming a large volume of food then I would suggest things like a bagel, some ice cream, etc. If you combine these foods with an overall diet that consists of eggs, chicken, rice, vegetables, turkey, whole wheat bread, fish, etc and hit your micros/macros/calorie goal then you will be fine.

good luck to you in your recovery process...
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I could eat a grilled cheese sandwich any day of the week.