How to account for breastfeeding?

Options
I know you lose a certain amount of calories breastfeeding, but since it is impossible to know how many I just don't count them at all. My question is should my daily/weekly goals be somewhat different because I need to take in more calories? I'm just confused as to whether I should even bother adjusting my goals or just enjoy the added loss of calories and forget it. What have/would you do in my position?

Replies

• mnh08
    mnh08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've lost all 32 lbs. of my baby weight just by eating normally and breastfeeding. Now that I want to lose the last 10 pounds I've set my goal to maintain my weight. I think that I'll lose 0.5-1 pound per week according to that calorie count minus the breastfeeding energy.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    You should eat them, or you might lose/lessen your milk supply. You can log it from the exercise database, I believe? I'm not sure, but I definitely know you can log it--It gives somewhere between 250-500 calories extra per day, depending on whether you're breastfeeding exclusively or also giving formula, etc. :)
  • emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The NHS say you burn 500 calories a day exclusively breastfeeding so I have created an exercise for this and logged it. My baby is 12 weeks old and so far I have lost 16lbs just breastfeeding. I have another 20 to go and lose about 1-2lbs a week. I try to keep to 1700cals a day and I am not hungry on that many which is good xx
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    it's in the exercise database, you can enter it that way
    another way, you can manually enter a negative quick-add of calories (-500 in your Quick Add under one meal a day)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    it's in the exercise database, you can enter it that way
    another way, you can manually enter a negative quick-add of calories (-500 in your Quick Add under one meal a day)

This
  • sarika61
    Options
    Dont try to diet while breastfeeding. We humans store lots of environmental toxins in our fat. Breaking down fat while breastfeeding means those toxins get released and wind up in the milk. Just eat normally and some weight will come off naturally. You can diet after you wean.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    seriously, just talk to your doctor. There's a balance between losing the pregnancy weight and not getting enough nutrition to produce milk for your child. I assume the later is your priority.

My wife lost about 1-1.5 lb per week, eating a lot. But she was breastfeeding exclusively, with very big kids. Your mileage will definitely vary - which is why you need a better tool than some generic online board. The stakes are high enough (in my opinion).

The toxin stuff is.... let's say poorly substantiated.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding and trying to lose weight naturally I'm logging more as feeding made me hungry and I was gaining way to fast I have noticed thou if I eat too little like when I was sick my milk supply suffers sick to maintain your weight and eat if you feel genuinely hungry x
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This is an area where you are going to have to pay attention to clues and make adjustments. Please do talk to your doctor and the lactation nurses at your local hospital, but they will just have to help you make decisions based on what you are seeing happen. Depending on your reserves (how much fat do you have stored) and how easily your body is willing to spend that reserve to make milk (for instance women with PCOS and insulin resistance often struggle to make enough milk regardless of calorie intake), you may be able to breastfeed without replacing the calories. 500 cal is the number given - but if you are exclusively breastfeeding a 2 week old you are expending fewer calories than for a 4 month old in a growth spurt.
    -
    You only get one chance to breastfeed this child. Watch your milk supply and make adjustments as needed. If you can lose weight while breastfeeding without compromising your breastfeeding goal - great. If you need to eat more and lose less to get this done, you will need to make a decision. But my advice is to remember that you have years to take the weight off, but usually only 6 months to 2 years to breastfeed. (please don't hijack the thread to talk about how some breastfeed for much longer times - I am talking about averages here)
  • emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I spoke to a lactation consultant about my diet yesterday and she said as long as its a healthy balanced diet which it is then there is no problem at all with what I am doing. I also asked about affecting milk supply and she explained that I would have to be very malnourished in order for it to be affected.

I must say that after reading your comments I do think you are all correct. It took 9 months to put on the extra weight and I don't mind if it takes that long or longer to go. As long as baby if fed, healthy and happy then that's the main thing and she is thriving which is wonderful.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I was always a massive failure at dieting while nursing...mostly because making baby milk plus exhaustion pretty much made me ravenous all the time. That said, looking back I think one of my biggest problems was likely poor hydration. I was really, really thirsty and interpreted it as hunger. So just a plug for making sure you get enough fluids and best wishes for you and your little one!