Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

what do you do when your snowed in?

2»

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm in New England where we suffered severe snow storms several weeks in a row (2+ plus for two storms, about a foot for the others). There are some kickboxing videos on On Demand that I watch, and I have a workout routine from my trainer that I do with hand weights. I am a teacher, so I spent the time getting caught up correcting stuff or planning ahead and reading for the lessons for the next several weeks. Also, watching TV of course and doing more homecooking.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,434 Member
    1) Do you have stairs? If so, walk or jog up and down and up and down ...

2) Do you have good boots and coat? If so, go for a walk or wade as the case may be. I built up great calves one snowy winter walking/wading 5-10 km/day. To make it interesting, grab your camera and take photos of interesting things you see as you walk. Don't worry, you will warm up ... in fact, I'd recommend dressing in layers because it won't be long before you're too warm.

3) This sort of situation is why I have a trainer (device onto which you put the rear wheel of your bicycle, so you can ride inside) and weightlifting set. Winters in Manitoba, I used to watch movies, but from the saddle of my bicycle. Longest stretch I put in was 4 hours ... one 2-hour movie, a quick break, and a second 2-hour movie.

4) There's always housework ... give the place a good cleaning from top to bottom.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I live in a city, so we're never snowed in, although they close the subways now and then, which is irritating.

So, I have a friend who sits on her couch all day when it snows and does around 397 steps for the day. Unbelievable.

If I'm not going out into the storm. I go to the gym in my building or turn on YouTube and do a few videos or check the mail and walk up nine flights instead of taking the elevator. Or yes, clean my apartment or try out some of my workout toys (resistance bands, Bender ball, twister, balance disk.

When I was in Boston, visiting my brother, I volunteered to help with shoveling his incredibly long driveway.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    We are pretty much snowed in where I live in the mountains so I find myself curling up on the couch and watching movies all day. What do you do when you can't leave the house? I need ideas so I don't just sit around on my butt tomorrow

Grab a shovel and dig out. Great workout.
    This. I find that shoveling a deep (and heavy consistency) snow can definitely make me feel like I got a solid workout in.

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Shovel my way out and go lift.
  • megandhight
    megandhight Posts: 89 Member
    Well I actually did managed to get in some movement today by convincing the hubby to help me build a snowman which of course turned into a snowball fight that he totally kicked my butt in. But it was fun.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    I treadmill inside or snowshoe and cross country ski (out of the wind). I do like the idea of "studding" though.