Another reason to minimize highly processed foods

Options
13»

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    These kind of studies come out all the time and a fair amount of the time the effects cannot be reproduced in humans. Just like every week we get a new THIS THING CAUSES CANCER! headline. Then the week after, it'll be the same food, just that now it'll apparently CURE cancer.
    I've never been sensitive to gut problems. I'm not worried.

That's why I don't link epidemiology studies printed in the huffpost.

This was a randomized control trial published in Nature. It's is not definitive proof of anything yet because it was done in mice. But it's very compelling data and more likely than not we will see the same results when it's tested in humans.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    All that will happen here is that some emulsifiers may be changed provided that the studied translate to humans, which they may or may not.

My concern is that they would just change to another less studied emulsifier which will then later be shown to be just as bad if not worse. It seems like every few years we find out another additive to highly processed foods is actually pretty bad for us (certain food dyes, trans-fats, etc.).
    Bottom line is a microwave meal now and then isn't a problem.

No arguments there.

The key phrase being "now and then". I don't think most folks eat heavily processed foods like the microwave meals "now and then".

On what basis? Most people I know do.

The grocery store shelves. CHOCK FULL of boxed foods and frozen foods. Someone's eating them. My nephew ONLY eats boxed and frozen meals.
    I'm a cash supervisor at a grocery store. Believe me, the majority of the people live on pre-packaged and processed foods. The area I live and work in is not low-income, so they aren't making these choices based on finances.

Even so, I do think people are slooooowly making better choices as the years roll by (emphasis on slowly). Studies like the one linked get spread around and influence that.