Pi wood fire pizza

Options
hello...wondering if anyone has an idea how many calories would be in 2 pieces of a pepperoni pie. Cannot find any resources online, thanks.

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I usually use domino's website to guestimate my home-made pizza calories. It's not that accurate but nothing is.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I assume that when you say "wood fire" you mean neapolitan (Naples style) pizza. Congrats on eating the best food in the entire damn universe! It's a travesty that more people haven't tried it and favor Dominos or other commercial crap.

You'll have a really hard time finding calorie counts because there are zero neapolitan pizza chains, and mom and pop joints don't usually provide that info. I also have no clue what "two slices" means - is that 2 slices out of 8 on a 15" pie, or 2 slices out of 12 on a 9" pie? Who knows.

I have a wood oven in my yard and this is how I'd count it, based on my neapolitan pizza recipe:

Crust - 608 calories, 17 grams protein
    Cheese - 175 calories, 13 grams protein
    Sauce - 30 calories, 1.5 grams of protein
    Olive oil - 20 calories, 0 grams protein
    Pepperoni - 10 calories, 0.5 grams protein per slice (per slice of meat, not per slice of pizza)

So an entire 11-12" entree sized pizza without meat is 843 calories, 31.5 grams protein. If you have 20 slices of pepperoni on there, it's 1043 calories, 41.5 grams protein.

Explanation for those counts:
    I make 6 pizzas, about 11" diameter, with 1000 grams of flour, so the crust is 167 grams. Neapolitan pizza crust is made with only flour, yeast, salt, and water, nothing else. I make 4 pizzas with an 8 oz fresh mozarella dough ball, but I upped it to 2.5 oz per pie because it's a restaurant and they're probably a bit more generous for an American palette (since lots of cheese is not a normal feature of these pizzas). The sauce on a neapolitan pie is usually raw crushed tomatoes and spices, nothing else; saucing is LIGHT, 1/3 cup per pie or less. Pies are often drizzled with a few drops of olive oil before baking, 0.5-1 teaspoon. And lastly, your toppings, self explanatory.

In my opinion, you should just eat the whole pizza. You could definitely fit 843 calories into your plan!