Seeing/finding a therapist

Options
djc315
djc315 Posts: 585 Member
Hi

I've been suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts (no, I am not having these thoughts right now. And I've never acted on them. I am not in need of help RIGHT now, I've been that way before and I reached out to someone) for way too long. And I would like to find a therapist. I'm not really sure how to go about this. Does anyone know where I can start? I just recently moved cross-country and do not have a health care provider. Is there something I should look for (like a certain title/degree) when finding a therapist?

I want to enjoy life again.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    The big thing is to be willing to try again. I went through a couple before I found one I liked. It's going to hinge a lot on personality meshing, which is hard to predict. If you don't get on with the first one, don't feel bad about switching to someone else (it's their job, and that's part of it). A lot of them are willing to meet with you for a few minutes for free before scheduling an actual appointment to help feel each other out. Other than that, try to find someone who specializes in depression since they'll have a better idea of how to help you. Good luck. Hope that helps a little.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've been suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts (no, I am not having these thoughts right now. And I've never acted on them. I am not in need of help RIGHT now, I've been that way before and I reached out to someone) for way too long. And I would like to find a therapist. I'm not really sure how to go about this. Does anyone know where I can start? I just recently moved cross-country and do not have a health care provider. Is there something I should look for (like a certain title/degree) when finding a therapist?

Thanks for any help!

If you're employed, find out if your employer offers an EAP. (Employee Assistance Program) Most do. They will have a preferred provider that they will hook you up with. Usually for a set number of visits, then you can decide where you can go from there.

You need to look for someone who is an LMHC (Licensed Mental Health Counselor) Look for someone who has a degree in Counseling, NOT Social Work. Some states have wildly different requirements for these professions, but they get lumped together at many agencies. You want a Counselor.

Do NOT go to a faith-based counselor, except as a last-resort. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. You need to find someone who can/will look for ANY solution to your problem.

I'm NOT saying don't explore/enhance/expand your faith. I'm saying separate your mental health from your spiritual health.

Finally good on you for knowing you need some help and being brave enough to seek it. There is too much stigma associated with mental health in this world... and it's needless. Good luck in finding help.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for any help!

If you're employed, find out if your employer offers an EAP. (Employee Assistance Program) Most do. They will have a preferred provider that they will hook you up with. Usually for a set number of visits, then you can decide where you can go from there.

You need to look for someone who is an LMHC (Licensed Mental Health Counselor) Look for someone who has a degree in Counseling, NOT Social Work. Some states have wildly different requirements for these professions, but they get lumped together at many agencies. You want a Counselor.

Do NOT go to a faith-based counselor, except as a last-resort. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. You need to find someone who can/will look for ANY solution to your problem.

I'm NOT saying don't explore/enhance/expand your faith. I'm saying separate your mental health from your spiritual health.

Finally good on you for knowing you need some help and being brave enough to seek it. There is too much stigma associated with mental health in this world... and it's needless. Good luck in finding help.

Actually BSW (undergrad) have training in mental health (and are able to get licensed at a certain time depending on the state) and master's level can be licensed as a clinical social worker (LCSW). Yes, I agree that training and titles can vary from state to state, but if a person completed an accredited program from the National Association of Social Workers there should not be a problem. (Especially if it is a good fit for the OP)
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Firstly, which country are you in? Qualifications are different everywhere. Your post reads as if you are in teh USA in which case I cant help much with the qualifications.

Regarding finding a therapist, I suggest you do a little research and find out what type of therapy you feel will work for you. There are several approaches and I don't want to comment on what is right or wrong but I can say that you should go in with open eyes. Additionally, if you don't hit it off with your therapist, they will completely understand if you look for someone else. It needs to be someone you naturally trust and respect so shop around a little.

Good luck.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hi

I want to enjoy life again.Thanks for any help!

You could do a quick search in your community to see what providers are available and see if there are community programs available in your area. Yes, you do want to look for someone who has education, and preferably with a mental health concentration or someone who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy. However, you should have to go through the assessment process of diagnosis and a human/social service provider should provide you with a referral if he or she is not able to provide appropriate services. Also, if you have seen someone before, you may want to contact them to see if they are able to refer you to someone in the area. Lastly, see if there is an emergency response team in your area or emergency hotline, in case those thoughts become too overwhelming for you.

Hope this helps and it is awesome that you are reaching out....
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I agree that the fit is the most important thing and that you should "try out" different ones.

I have gone through many and there are a million different personalities, techniques, etc so you need to find a match that works and feels good for YOU.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, they were helpful.

Yes, I am in the USA. I'm in Washington state. I was doing a google search last night but it was just all overwhelming for me. I have always been one to not do something if I am unsure about it, which is why I've put this off for so long. But I refuse to let myself do that with this any longer.