Feeling Deafeated

Options
Not sure how it's possible, but I have logged religiously (almost always at a deficit) and worked out everyday and still managed to gain. Not just a pound or two, but six!! So discouraged. Just want to quit!

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    For how long?
    Is it your time of the month?
    Could it be water retention due to a lot of sodium intake?
    How are you calculating calories?
  • MEmomof3
    MEmomof3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh myself because I know how the scale can be. I was curious this morning, so I jumped on. It's not "that time", and I watch my salt intake. I don't drink soda or eat anything with a ton of sodium. I'm not sure what you mean by how I calculate calories. I am very honest with my serving sizes. I drink a TON of water, to help flush out anything that might be negatively affecting my weight (sodium). If I'm drinking a lot of water, is retention still even possible?
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue in the past... It's normal to fluctuate 5 pounds within a single given day, so try not to sweat it! Easier said than done, trust me I know... Have you tried measuring yourself? Muscle weighs more than fat, so it's possible that you're losing inches, despite seeing the weight gain...

Best luck!!
  • MEmomof3
    Options
    I haven't tried measuring myself....ever. Besides knowing my waist measurement (because of buying pants), I know nothing. Maybe that's where I should start, rather than worrying over the number on the scale. I know for a fact that I've lost some inches, because my clothes fit different, but that number on the scale can just be so defeating! Thanks for your help. I do feel better!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Exercise commonly increases ones weight initially because of a couple of reasons:
    Water retention due to muscle repair
    Glycogen and water retention fill up the cells because of anticipation of higher energy release

Usually last a couple of weeks (sometimes more depending on progression).

I'll just say that if you look the way you want, fit the clothes size you want to wear, and people admire and comment on how great you look.........................does it REALLY matter what the weight on the scale says?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • margolinville
    margolinville Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    MEmomof3 wrote: »
    I rarely weigh myself because I know how the scale can be. I was curious this morning, so I jumped on. It's not "that time", and I watch my salt intake. I don't drink soda or eat anything with a ton of sodium. I'm not sure what you mean by how I calculate calories. I am very honest with my serving sizes. I drink a TON of water, to help flush out anything that might be negatively affecting my weight (sodium). If I'm drinking a lot of water, is retention still even possible?

Make the scale your Best Friend! Digital scales are the most Fun! 3500 calories eaten makes you gain 1 pound. A person burns 2000 calories by being alive. Eat 1380 calories a day an loose 1 pound a week. All food has calories....Add them up when you eat.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I wasn't implying that you were dishonest...not at all.

Do you weigh your food? Weighing is way more accurate than using measuring cups/spoons. Use cups and spoons for liquids. Weigh everything else.

Do you double check the nutrition info in the database? Sometimes it's off or incomplete. Just today I chose "bananas, raw" and it said 67 calories for my banana. Seemed wrong. I looked it up on the usda nutrition info database and the actual calories is 86!

If you choose subjective things like a "medium banana" you could be off by as many as 20 or 30 calories. I have a bunch of bananas that all look to be about the same size but are all quite different in grams ranging from .97 grams to 126 grams!

All of these little inaccuracies can add up to a large amount of calories by the end of the week.
  • MEmomof3
    Options
    Usually last a couple of weeks (sometimes more depending on progression).

I'll just say that if you look the way you want, fit the clothes size you want to wear, and people admire and comment on how great you look.........................does it REALLY matter what the weight on the scale says?

Good point. I am naturally an active person....I have 3 kids that I chase daily and a house to run, but I have been working out daily, with weights. I could understand the muscle repair idea.

• margolinville
    margolinville Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Make the scale your Best Friend! Digital scales are the most Fun! 3500 calories eaten makes you gain 1 pound. A person burns 2000 calories by being alive. Eat 1380 calories a day an loose 1 pound a week. All food has calories....Add them up when you eat.

Weigh yourself everyday before you eat in the morning without clothes.
  • MEmomof3
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Do you weigh your food? Weighing is way more accurate than using measuring cups/spoons. Use cups and spoons for liquids. Weigh everything else.

Do you double check the nutrition info in the database? Sometimes it's off or incomplete. Just today I chose "bananas, raw" and it said 67 calories for my banana. Seemed wrong. I looked it up on the usda nutrition info database and the actual calories is 86!

If you choose subjective things like a "medium banana" you could be off by as many as 20 or 30 calories. I have a bunch of bananas that all look to be about the same size but are all quite different in grams ranging from .97 grams to 126 grams!

All of these little inaccuracies can add up to a large amount of calories by the end of the week.

• MEmomof3
    Options

I have noticed that the database can be WAY off, I definitely double check. I don't weigh anything at the moment. I have 3 kids, a husband, and a couple of other people that are living with me that I cook for everyday. I don't know that I would have time or energy to worry about weighing my food too. I am not against doing it, just don't know where to start.
  • christinehuds
    christinehuds Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Are you using the calorie burn estimates in MFP and eating back most of your exercise calories? MFP's estimation of how many calories you burn from working out can be pretty far off, so maybe that has something to do with it?
  • wesley58
    wesley58 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, I look in the mirror, and my clothes fit lose, but yet I step on the scale and it says I have gained. Your right it is defeating.
    I can't explain but I think checking your measurements will be more motivating that the scale. Good luck
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I tried to view your diary but it is closed so it's hard to say what might be happening with your food or exercise. Also, have you tracked your measurements? If you are working out consistently, your body composition may be changing for the better without showing a loss of weight. Replacing a pound of fat with a pound of muscle will make you feel better and stronger (and your clothes will start to feel loose) but not show progress on the scale.
  • MEmomof3
    Options
    Are you using the calorie burn estimates in MFP and eating back most of your exercise calories? MFP's estimation of how many calories you burn from working out can be pretty far off, so maybe that has something to do with it?

No, I never eat back my exercise calories. Should I be? I eat what MFP says I should eat for my daily calorie intake and then exercise on top of that. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.....
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I have noticed that the database can be WAY off, I definitely double check. I don't weigh anything at the moment. I have 3 kids, a husband, and a couple of other people that are living with me that I cook for everyday. I don't know that I would have time or energy to worry about weighing my food too. I am not against doing it, just don't know where to start.

Yep, it was pretty eye opening when I started weighing. A sweet potato that I was logging as 150 was actually near 300.

I don't weigh all the time because it can be a trigger for me, but it's helpful to do it for a week or two just to realize what accurate portion sizes really look like.
  • MEmomof3
    Options
    I tried to view your diary but it is closed so it's hard to say what might be happening with your food or exercise. Also, have you tracked your measurements? If you are working out consistently, your body composition may be changing for the better without showing a loss of weight. Replacing a pound of fat with a pound of muscle will make you feel better and stronger (and your clothes will start to feel loose) but not show progress on the scale.

I will definitely start measuring myself today and see where that takes me. Thanks for the input!!!!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Not every person burns 2000 calories a day. Some people burn more, some burn less. It depends on a lot of factors like height, age, weight, activity level and a bunch of other things.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Weighing can be very discouraging, but it's all about the measurements. Instead of weighing yourself, weigh your food. A food scale was one of the best investments I've made as far as my kitchen utensils. It really does make a difference in what you're logging.
    Be patient with yourself, weight loss takes time.
  • sjbctal
    sjbctal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat and have a fitbit. I need to ignore my gained calories from walking and just stick with mfp calories. My goal is 12 lbs by Easter. Im hoping for success I'm tired of doing all this its beginning to really frustrate me.