Protein Pancake Mix?

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
So let me start off by admitting that I have a very unhealthy pancake addiction. I love them, and I would live off them if I could! Only problem is that I'm terrible at baking, and recipes calling for flour and other ingredients just discourage me because then it's time consuming, requires skill, and becomes more difficult to log.
This is why I purchase so much pancake mixes that you just add water to.
BUT.
I just discovered protein pancake mixes! I bought a pound container of P28 Foods Buckwheat Protein Pancake mix yesterday from the Vitamin Shoppe, and was thrilled about satisfying my pancake addiction while also getting in some protein.
The only problem was that it was on the dry side, so it reminded me more of a biscuit than it did pancakes.
Has anyone tried any other high protein pancake mixes that they would recommend? Preferably ones where you only need water to make?
I know Met-Rx has some protein pancakes out there, has anyone tried them? What are your experiences?
Extra brownie points if they're also lower sodium!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Kodiak Power Cakes mix. It's sold at Target. You get 4 pancakes for 190 calories and 12g of protein (if mixed with water only, and I've tried it with egg and milk and actually liked the water version better). Sure, it's not as good as my homemade buttermilk pancakes by a long shot, but they are pretty decent.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, my goodness. It's the easiest thing in the world to mix together some baking powder, protein powder and flour. If you are making pancakes from such a mix you have already mastered cooking, LOL!

I would try modifying the dry mix with an egg, some pureed pumpkin, or a little extra oil. With a bit of experimentation, you could come up with a magic combination. When experimenting, take notes of what you tried to learn from your mistakes.

I make my own dry pumpkin pancake mix and then add the wet ingredients just before cooking. This recipe is awesome. I add about 3/4 cup white flour to make a sturdier pancake.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-pumpkin-spice-pancakes.htm
  • sullyxo
    sullyxo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I made my own protein pancakes using 1 scoop of natural vanilla whey protein power and 1/4 cup of aunt jamima pancake mix (I use the one with egg and milk but you could use the one with water). This usually makes around 4 large pancakes and I usually have 1 or 2. With 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup it's about 350 cal for 2. I don't know if this is good but I love the extra protein in the morning and I always eat a lot for breakfast.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Thank you, you have all been incredibly helpful! @Franci27‌ I just looked up that power cakes mix and it looks wonderful (and not too much sodium)!!! I will definitely have to make a Target run in the near future ;) Do you remember about how much you paid for it? And how many servings per container does it have?
    Thanks!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    Thank you, you have all been incredibly helpful! @Franci27‌ I just looked up that power cakes mix and it looks wonderful (and not too much sodium)!!! I will definitely have to make a Target run in the near future ;) Do you remember about how much you paid for it? And how many servings per container does it have?
    Thanks!!!

It was on sale but I think it's $4.99 normally. The box has 11 servings (the instructions say to mix 2 servings plus one cup of water but I guess it's if people want to use an egg too as you can't halve an egg so easily, lol).
  • Jen21878
    Jen21878 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I make my protein pancakes/waffles like so:

1 scoop protein, 1/2 cup oats & 1/3 cup almond milk. In blender/ninja/whatever, blend together (add cinnamon if you'd like), and throw it on the pan! Easy as pie and always delicious. I top mine w/ walden farms syrup, chocolate syrup and/or peanut butter.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I really like Flap Jacked: http://www.flapjacked.com/
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I must add a little yogurt or even cottage cheese (sounds weird but you can't taste it) it makes them a lot less dry
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just *
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My protein pancakes are 1 banana / 2 eggs / 1tsp Chia seeds / a dash of cinnamon, blend and cook like a normal pancake. I eat them with fruit or berries, a bit of butter and maple syrup. They are really good.