Resting days or not

Options
2»

Replies

• jillianlamb
    Options
    I took a rest day yesterday, and when I weighed myself this morning I saw that I haf lost weight. So personally I approve of rest days! ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have one, unless I'm very sore and feel that I need it. I only weight train 2-3 times a week though (I take an extra day off that if I'm really sore after 48 hours), rest is walks, and I don't mind doing that every day.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I live on a working farm. There are no rest days.
    You're assuming rest days equate to doing nothing or being immobile. Either way, you're wrong.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have one, unless I'm very sore and feel that I need it. I only weight train 2-3 times a week though (I take an extra day off that if I'm really sore after 48 hours), rest is walks, and I don't mind doing that every day.

If that is the entirety of your training regimen, then I would say you have rest days 4-5 days a week. Walking is not exactly hard, unless you are really out of shape or are hiking uphill or something. A rest day doesn't mean you lie on your couch all day. The reason you need to take rest days is to allow your body to recover after strenuous activity; light activity does not interfere with recovery.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    1 hour on a tread / per day?

No you don't need a rest day.
  • SlowBigG
    SlowBigG Posts: 10
    Options
    In my opinion, rest days are important as it's the way the body recovers. Without rest days, it means that each training session is potentially compromised (i.e, you'll be too tired to do a proper sprint session). Elites have rest days and the very popular P&D Advanced Marathoning plans have rest days.

To the OP. Bin the treadie and get outside if you can. It's much more motivating!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing exactly for a workout and what you consider a "rest" day. If you're just doing some walking or whatever on the treadmill, you're likely fine. If you're pushing and pulling a lot of iron, you're going to need rest to allow your muscles to recover and actually get the benefit of your workouts; hell, I take a rest week every 6th week or so of my cycle.

If you're a runner, four days is pretty good...5+ days you exponentially increase the risk of injury if you're doing a lot of distance. If you're just doing straight cardio, I wouldn't worry about it too much; your body will tell you if you need a break. That aside, use your diet control to "burn" fat and for weight control; exercise for fitness.

Brutha preaching truth right here. Read it and listen.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    1 hour on a tread / per day?

No you don't need a rest day.

Not unless they're clocking some long "distances"
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing exactly for a workout and what you consider a "rest" day. If you're just doing some walking or whatever on the treadmill, you're likely fine. If you're pushing and pulling a lot of iron, you're going to need rest to allow your muscles to recover and actually get the benefit of your workouts; hell, I take a rest week every 6th week or so of my cycle.

If you're a runner, four days is pretty good...5+ days you exponentially increase the risk of injury if you're doing a lot of distance. If you're just doing straight cardio, I wouldn't worry about it too much; your body will tell you if you need a break. That aside, use your diet control to "burn" fat and for weight control; exercise for fitness.

Brutha preaching truth right here. Read it and listen.