5'3", going from 250 to 140

Options
Hi, everyone. I've been at this calorie deal for a month and it's the best thing I've ever done. Being defiant and habitual by nature, no plan that has ever told me, "eat this, don't eat that, do these exercises every day," etc has ever been sustainable for me. Using calorie counting instead, I don't have to deprive myself of anything, and it has led me to make better decisions as I prioritize gut satisfaction over short-term pleasure. "Do I want to have that midnight quesarrito and have to starve at dinnertime, or could I do something different so I'm not going to sleep with a growling stomach and still get to have decent meals later?" Soda no longer fits into my daily menu, nor do flavored Dunkin Donuts lattes or those repeated trips to the candy drawer at work. I do still have those things, but only as my daily limit allows, and even then, sparingly. It also gets me moving. I use the Runtastic pedometer app to keep myself in line if I'm inching up towards my limit, or if I impulsively get into something I shouldn't and need to atone for it.

It's not just about making it ok to eat junk food. This app has given me the perspective I've always needed to guide me into getting and keeping better habits overall. I think MFP is my new life partner.

Replies

• EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm 5'2", and 2/3 of the way from 220 to 130, so I appreciate where you're coming from!

I decided when I started that sustainability was key, so I took a good hard look at how I got to my starting weight. (For me, self indulgence, lack of portion control, disregard of nutrition content, and general laziness.)

I also looked at what I was and was not willing to change long term, so I don't get back to my starting weight. Giving up Fancy Tea, steak, ice cream, peanut butter cups, etc., - not going to happen. I choose to have them less often, and in moderated quantities, but I still have them.

For me, tracking my portions (and their nutritional value), and added physical activity are a lifetime commitment.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how inspiring a 4-digit number can be! I now spend the fitst 20 minutes of my hour-long dinner break getting and eating my meal, and the rest hoofing it up and down the various hallways and corridors in the building, looking for extra loops I can toss in with the time I have left. If I need to burn more, I start taking a lap around the office if I need to run to the copier or deliver something to a co-worker. I think my productivity has actually gone UP, if you can figure that one. Something about a quick power stroll gets me ramped up and ready to start punching in numbers.