Exercise Bike recommendations

Options
Starting to research to buy a new exercise bike. Any tips, suggestions? As in which style gives a better/higher burn between upright & recumbent?

Replies

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Id go get a real bike, and an indoor trainer. Probably cheaper, and you can ride outside when the weather is nice.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Id go get a real bike, and an indoor trainer. Probably cheaper, and you can ride outside when the weather is nice.

My thoughts 100%.

Buy a real bike, and a trainer. Then when it is nice out, ride outside.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

My thoughts 100%.

Buy a real bike, and a trainer. Then when it is nice out, ride outside.

And when it's not too crappy out, dress for the elements and ride outside.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I never need any excuses to ride my trainer. I get a *better* workout on the trainer than I do outside. I ride outside because I enjoy being outside. If it is not that nice out, I will opt for getting a better training session.

• CarreraGT3
    Options
    How much experience do you have with cycling? Ever done a spin class? Try one before making an investment.
    Would you be interested in riding on roads or would you find that intimidating?
    Riding a recumbent bicycle burns no more or less calories than a traditional bike. Recumbents are heavier and so are tougher to take over a hill (something to consider if you live in a hilly area).
    Joining a local cycling club (one that is more into touring than racing) could be a way to ride with others.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm more into running/walking. Hubby prefers biking. He does have his eyes on a road bike - but its going to take time to save up the $ as he wants a good one. I'm looking to spend under $500 now. I'll use it some -but its probably going to be an 80/20 split with him using more.

Good idea about trying a spin class.

An interesting note - I'm looking at this on Amazon (will try bikes in store before buying online, if we go that route) and the description mentions syncing w/ Myfitnesspal.

http://smile.amazon.com/Nautilus-100387-R614-Recumbent-Bike/dp/B00KVZM2V4/ref=sr_1_23?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1424973899&sr=1-23&keywords=exercise+bike
  • glevinso
    Options
    Just my opinion here but that thing looks like a torture device, and not in a good way...
  • glevinso
    Options
    I would get one of these

And then go to a bike shop and get something similar to this
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have owned a few exercise bikes and ridden a few others. Most of them have terrible ergonomics which makes them nearly unrideable. It is no wonder most of them end up as dust collectors.

The only one I found acceptable was the Schwinn Airdyne. It was tolerable.

I now use an old worn out hybrid bike on a magnetic resistance trainer stand. You get the ergonomics of a real bike and the variable resistance.

I suggest a magnetic or fluid trainer stand and pick up a used bike if you don't currently have one to use. Shop Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other second stores for a cheap bike. It doesn't have to be anything special to mount on a trainer. Mine doesn't even have a front wheel!

Just make sure the bike fits you and then enjoy riding your vomitron..