Frustrated...!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you are working out that hard it is more than likely water retention....

this

why on earth would you weigh yourself the day after that much exercise!
    I weigh myself everyday at the same time before breakfast. I can't do it weekly etc

then you must realise that weight fluctuates? sometimes you'll be up, sometimes you'll be down! look at the overall trend for the week and month.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cycling and running, I'm a semipro athlete.

2k seems a hell of a lot of calories for 26m bike and 6m walk. Garmin HRMs are notorious overestimators. My figures come out at more like 950 calories for 26m bike and 6m run. I'm 5'5 and 61kg

Agree with this comment that your burn numbers do seem too high - for comparison I typically burn 600/hour at 15mph on a hybrid bike. I'm 5'9" & 77kg.
    I can do that calory burn as well for an hour on the bike, but I pushed hard (had a train to catch!), the same route varies from 650cals/hour to 850cals/hour on same settings on my HRM. When I started out when I was heavier i was doing just under 1kcals/hour. I'm 5'7" & 73kg.
    Also the run would be shorter timewise than a walk for 6m, so the burn would be lower.... Just saying :tongue:

Keep in mind that the calories burned during a run are very different than during a walk: high intensity versus low intensity. Just because the walk takes a longer time doesn't mean you are burning more calories than a brisk run of the same distance; it is energy exerted not time spent!

I agree that the calorie estimate definitely seems too high-- and no doubt, you're dealing with water retention. I recommend keeping your mind on feeling good, staying active, and eating healthily. The weight will come off over time and you will be fit in the long run!
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    if you are working out that hard it is more than likely water retention....

this

why on earth would you weigh yourself the day after that much exercise!
    I weigh myself everyday at the same time before breakfast. I can't do it weekly etc

then you must realise that weight fluctuates? sometimes you'll be up, sometimes you'll be down! look at the overall trend for the week and month.
    Yes I do realise that, but from all the training I've done over the years, never have I done that much exercise in one day to get a weight gain...
    It is gradually going down but havent let off the exercise, will see what it's like in a couple of weeks from doing the same amount etc.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Some perspective - 100 ml of water weighs 100grams. The average coffee mug holds about 200ml. It could literally be something as simple as you having drunk half a mug more of water than usual. Seriously, go pour that out and look how easy it is to trick the scales into thinking you gained 100grams.
  • IronPhyllida
    Options
    Some perspective - 100 ml of water weighs 100grams. The average coffee mug holds about 200ml. It could literally be something as simple as you having drunk half a mug more of water than usual. Seriously, go pour that out and look how easy it is to trick the scales into thinking you gained 100grams.

LOL trust me, i weighed myself before having the 200ml cup of coffee, but it's not a biggie, I was just curious, not jumping off a building because of it....
  • runninggirl1981
    Options
    I have a garmin HRM.

I have also been in a science lab and had specific tests done for athletes by sports scientists.

I wore both pieces of equipment for the same test.

My HRM told me I had burnt 796 calories in the hour. The sciency equipment measuring energy expenditure told me I had burnt 514. Just saying like..... HRMs are not accurate.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Also the run would be shorter timewise than a walk for 6m, so the burn would be lower.... Just saying :tongue:

Not quite correct. There is a significant misconception that calorie burn is based solely on distance .....the old 1 mile of walking equals 1 mile of running.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn
  • runninggirl1981
    Options
    Exactly!! The 6m run burns more not less!!
  • IronPhyllida
    Options

Not quite correct. There is a significant misconception that calorie burn is based solely on distance .....the old 1 mile of walking equals 1 mile of running.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn
    You're absolutely right, when I started running and people were saying that, I just thought it can't be true as the effort in comparison was much more for the distance run...
    Big bummer re calories burnt... Oh well it was still a good workout :)