stay at home mum-sedentary/lightly active?

Options
Hi everyone! Ive been on MFP since April now,and today I decided to review my fitness settings and saw that I was set at 'lightly active'...Now,I am up and about probably 65/70% of the day doing general household chores,washing ironing etc and baby stuff,shopping etc but nothing too strenuous atall. Its more pottering about if anything. Now,would you set me at sedentary or lightly active?? As I can see the lightly active example was 'salesman or teacher',and they are on their feet alot more than I am! Thanks in advance for your help! Alison x

Replies

• misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am currently at home on ,aternity leave and I have mine set at 'sedentary' - though I feel like I am up and on my feet nearly the entire day, running from one household task to the next, while taking care of a five-year-old and six-week-old.

I thought it best to underestimate my activity level, but I've been curious if this is appropriate.
  • alisonsouth
    alisonsouth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I put mine as sedentary just for a minute to see what difference in calories it would make,and they got slashed by 800.Im going to stick with lightly active,as you do need the calories and the energy when looking after a little one! And we are on the go quite alot,even if it isnt particularly strenuous! I will see how i get on :) Thanks for your reply! x
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    From how you describe your day I'd say you're lightly active. If you did want to try to be more accurate you could drop down to sedentary, and then add your daily chores and activities as calories burned, and get your extra calories that way.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home wife, no kids. Without exercise I'm lightly active.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I put mine as sedentary just for a minute to see what difference in calories it would make,and they got slashed by 800.Im going to stick with lightly active,as you do need the calories and the energy when looking after a little one! And we are on the go quite alot,even if it isnt particularly strenuous! I will see how i get on :) Thanks for your reply! x

800? That doesn't sound right. Mine only changes by 100.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM even though my son is 19 & never home....I have mine on sedentary even though that's far from what I am. I'm never sitting down....never. set it as lightly active if you want more cals to eat. You would be burning it off anyway I'd say.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It really depends honestly. I'm a sahm and without exercise I wouldn't consider myself even lightly active.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Neither stay at home nor mom here, but I will say I think those descriptions of the activity levels are a bit ridiculous--I have a desk job but with the walking I do in a day (I live in NYC, no car) I am at least lightly active if not active, and believe me I am not a salesman or teacher or waitress. I had myself set at sedentary at first and was hungry and cranky all the time; using a Fitbit I've confirmed my activity level is much higher than my job suggests it should be.

So what I'm saying is, I think you're at least lightly active.
  • 220Dani
    220Dani Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You're lightly active at least. If you want a clearer determination, try http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ You can input roughly how many minutes you spend doing things and what your TDEE is.
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Definitely lightly active. I basically have the same daily activity as you. I wear a fitbit and my calorie burn comes out a bit higher than lightly active!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM also and don't do what I consider to be a lot of housework and my daily burn on a rest day is well over what MFP estimates for me at "Very Active". As a SAHM you're not sedentary or lightly active... at least moderate; more likely very active.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It depends a bit on the age of your child/children. If you've got toddlers or preschool age (or even a baby, in many cases) you are at least lightly active. Think about how much time you spend playing with your kids, chasing after them, cleaning up after them, fixing their food, feeding, etc. That's all activity above sedentary unless you mother from the couch (doubtful on that! :laugh: )
  • natetonysmom
    natetonysmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    During the summer I have it set at sedentary. I work at an elementary school so in the fall I will go back to being lightly active. My boys are older so they do a lot for themselves. If you have small kids I would say lightly active.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I put mine as sedentary because I have a desk job. Even though I'm walking a bit making copies, dealing with clients, etc. I also then pick up my kids from school and clean the house, make dinner, etc... I wear a Fitbit now so it counts my ACTUAL calories burnt to tell me how many more calories I expended than was expected being sedentary.... it's only about 100. :ohwell:

IF you want the amount you can eat to change based on how many calories you use: I'd leave it at sedentary and just be sure to log all of your exercising (and heavy cleaning- mowing the grass, etc)

OR

IF you want to be able to eat the same amount of calories every day: I'd set it at lightly active and only record the exercises that go beyond a normal day for you.
  • alisonsouth
    alisonsouth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all so much for your replies,youve all been a great help!