Looking for some spices to spice things up

Options
I now eat a lot of "plain" foods, i.e. plain chicken or turkey, plain vegetables, etc. which can get boring after a while.

I'm looking for some low calorie spices to give these foods a little boost.

Can anyone recommend some?

Replies

• joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ms. Dash is my homegirl.
  • Jen21878
    Jen21878 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash is always an option but I hear very good things about Flavor God...check him out. http://flavorgod.com/
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Im a lemon pepper kind of gal myself
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I will put paprika on everything. Especially popcorn!! A little White Cheddar popcorn seasoning and some Paprika. . .mmmmmmm
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I love cooking with spices - low calorie but tons of flavor. What kinds of foods do you like? Asian, Moroccan, Greek, Indian, Italian, Mexican, Cajun? I probably have 50 different spices including obscure ones like Garam Marsala, Smoked Hungarian Paprika and Cardamom so I can give you advice but need to know what you like. You can make amazing dishes with the right combinations of spices. I make all of my own seasoning salts, taco seasoning, meat rubs, Italian sausage, gyro meat, breakfast sausage, fajita spices, stir fry sauce, pad thai sauce...pretty much everything.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All spices are low-calorie, LOL. Go hog wild.

Garlic in nearly everything. Smoked paprika. Freshly ground coriander.

On the vegetables, try a teaspoon of olive oil with a bit of freshly ground pepper.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yeah, as noted above spices don't have many calories. Experiment with different flavors and find what you like. Recipe books or sites are great for getting examples of flavors that pair well together.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Jerk seasoning is my favorite!!! I sprinkle that *kitten* on everything!!!!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    GARLIC.
    Cavender's Greek Seasoning - Salt Free version
    Garlic powder
    Garlic salt
    Minced garlic
    Onion powder
    Thyme
    Rosemary
    Basil
    Oregano
    Seasoning pepper
    Cayenne pepper
    Paprika
    Pixie Dust [found it at whole foods, it's yummy]

My go-to is always garlic powder. But I also often lightly oil vegetables and add dried rosemary and thyme, sometimes a dash of lavender for a different flavour.

Honestly, barely any calories, so it's hard to go wrong in trying different combos to see what floats your boat!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Lots of garlic. I roast veggies with fresh minced garlic and olive oil. Garlic salt or garlic powder on chicken and beef.

I also use a lot of chili powder, Cayenne pepper, chipotle powder, cumin and paprika on chicken. It is basically a taco kind of seasoning.

I also use hot sauce a lot. Frank's Red Hot is my favorite, goes in scrambled eggs, sometimes in rice or potatoes, and on popcorn
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    fox point seasoning from penzeys. its great on almost anything!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in some recipes for homemade spice combinations--a la the various Mrs. Dash and store blend things, but in smaller quantities in case I don't like it.

Otherwise I always just end up with chili powder+cayenne pepper.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Sriracha
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of garlic lovers here. OK, I'll check that out. Thanks for the suggestions.

I always thought Mrs. Dash was a simple salt substitute. I didn't know there were multiple flavors.
  • TamiKakes
    TamiKakes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sriracha or cayane pepper if you like spice. They also help in boosting metabolism. Lots of fat loss smoothie recipes call for a dash of cayane. Start incorporating a little bit here and there til you get used to the flavor/heat
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I swear by chipotle powder, cajun seasoning and smoked paprika.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's true that if you have these three things you are good to go - garlic, onion and black pepper!! I chop or crush garlic before using. Chop onion & sautee in a pan. When turning a bit brown add garlic. Then add the meat...sprinkle salt & pepper (lots of it like one teaspoon on one chicken breast). Let meat sear on the pan on medium heat uncovered 15 minutes each side (Check with cooking thermometer for doneness). Yummy!! Squeeze a bit of lemon for extra flavor & taste...it's finger licking good
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    joneallen wrote: »
    Ms. Dash is my homegirl.

^^^^ This. They are sodium free too. Lots of flavors to choose from. I use the garlic & herb, or the Onion & herb, the chipote mainly. Other brands I use black pepper, garlic powder, cajun (love this on my fish and chicken), and taco seasoning. use on hamburgers, chicken what ever. just have to watch the sodium in the taco seasoning though. I have heard Mrs dash carries it, but haven't found it in my stores yet