Exercising with bad back "What to do?"

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunhee123
    Sunhee123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I suggest finding a good personal trainer, one that has a background in sports rehabilitation and nutrition. They will assess your abilities and work with you to build strength without further injury. I have a permanently dislocated sacral joint/pelvis, have had three knee surgeries and have arthritis...at 46. But my PT has helped me strengthen my core, making my back and pelvis more stable plus strengthened the muscles around my joints. A good PT will be your best new friend.

That sounds perfect. I need to ask around and find a great PT.
  • Sunhee123
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I've worked with bad knees and asked lots of questions of my physiotherapist. Core is good, with care (care with twisting!). Low impact is good. I've even done Zumba low-impact style and saved myself from strain. Stretches and lifting while on your back can keep you from overstraining.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/easy-on-the-knees-731797

And walking is the best!

I used to walk my dog in the morning before my son took over. I may need to start walking him in the morning again. Thanks!!
  • Sunhee123
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    Look up Chair Exercises and if theres something the instructor is doing that youre not able to, just modify it or change it up!

Thank you!! Will do! :))
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sunhee123 wrote: »
    I suggest finding a good personal trainer, one that has a background in sports rehabilitation and nutrition. They will assess your abilities and work with you to build strength without further injury. I have a permanently dislocated sacral joint/pelvis, have had three knee surgeries and have arthritis...at 46. But my PT has helped me strengthen my core, making my back and pelvis more stable plus strengthened the muscles around my joints. A good PT will be your best new friend.

If surgery is your current number one option, it sounds like you're more at a stage where a physiotherapist could help you better (than a personal trainer, even with rehab training).

Sometimes you have to accept your limitations and adjust your expectations. I know it's hard! I have many soft tissue injuries, just very injury prone, and I always struggle with this - I want faster results, I'd like to see real performance improvements. And it's hard sometimes to hear others talk about the impressive feats they can do, like triathlons or aerial silks or whatever. Or even the normal things they can do that I can't, like a real weighted squat. I get it.

But you have the body you have, and it's wise to respect its limitations. You don't want to make things worse.

Progress will come if you stick with what you're doing! Try to be patient :)
  • Sunhee123
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

If surgery is your current number one option, it sounds like you're more at a stage where a physiotherapist could help you better (than a personal trainer, even with rehab training).

Sometimes you have to accept your limitations and adjust your expectations. I know it's hard! I have many soft tissue injuries, just very injury prone, and I always struggle with this - I want faster results, I'd like to see real performance improvements. And it's hard sometimes to hear others talk about the impressive feats they can do, like triathlons or aerial silks or whatever. Or even the normal things they can do that I can't, like a real weighted squat. I get it.

But you have the body you have, and it's wise to respect its limitations. You don't want to make things worse.

Progress will come if you stick with what you're doing! Try to be patient :)

Thanks a million! You said the all the right things. I, myself, need to work on my limitation and do what I can instead of focusing on what I can't do!!!
  • slickcat
    slickcat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 back surgeries and trying to prevent a 3rd. At my doctors suggestion I found a PT that specialized in back problems. She worked miracles on me. No more numb leg/foot. She recommended swimming and recumbent bike as well as toning upper body with very light weights to start with. Absolutely NO running, jumping or repetitive twisting. I cannot do Yoga because it causes my leg to go numb. Wish I could as I don't have the flexibility I'd like.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    You should really check with a doctor or physical therapist first. Having said that, you will need to start with strengthening your core. You can google core exercises, there are a lot of them. Once your other muscles, in particular hips, abs, glutes and hamstrings are stronger you can begin to add some weights.

I have 3 herniated discs in my back and began really focusing on exercise 17 months ago, now I'm doing DL's, bench press, squats, rows, OHP's, etc with significant weight for my age and physical condition, but it took awhile and a lot of hard work getting to this point.

So be careful, but know that if there is a will there's a way.

OP, you skipped right by this post, but I think it's great advice. Like Luluinca, I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back. I also have two more in my neck. None of them bother me much, if at all, anymore. But 30-ish years ago I was laid up for a month with severe back pain. The first doctor I saw wanted to operate. The second doctor, the one I decided to listen to, gave me several options, matching up statistical success rates with recuperation periods, ending with "or since you're starting to feel a little better (after a month on my back) you might just decide you can live with the pain." I went for the last option and began low impact stretching exercises.

Over the years I've found that just about any type of exercise, done regularly, helped my back. But it took me close to 30 years to figure out that the key was to strengthen my core. Just about any exercise is going to engage your core to some degree. Even walking helps. Over time as your core gets stronger you should be able to target it for strength and endurance with things like planks, crunches, leg lifts, etc. Once you hit that level you won't be talking about accepting your limitations any more, unless the context is how much weight you're putting on the bar for your deadlift.

As Luluinca said, start with a doctor or physical therapist. Taking on too much too soon will only set you back.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I really need to start exercising but afraid to do so with bad back. (Can't lift or jump much) What kind of light exercises can I do? I've started walking and riding stationary bike. Hoping to start exercising with a friend.

I agree with checking with a doctor before starting any exercise. With that caveat, I found a water aerobics class specifically designed for people with back issues. The movements are designed to do three things: 1) not irritate bad backs, 2) strengthen the back and the core, and 3) give you a good workout. The advantage to being in the water is that you can vary your intensity and it is great if you also have some joint issues. After just a few months of it, I was able to do more walking and I can now hike 6-7 miles with no issues.