Insulin Resistance Diet?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We'll, sometimes the authority has earned it. Sure beats "appeal to the internet". I have lost over ninety pounds and my diabetes is in remission due to following authoritative, conventional advice. Before that, I held off diabetes from insulin resistance for ten years, then held off requiring insulin for an additional ten years. I have eaten carbs, protein and fats in moderate amounts throughout. I ignored anyone who told me bacon was bad for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    We'll, sometimes the authority has earned it. Sure beats "appeal to the internet". I have lost over ninety pounds and my diabetes is in remission due to following authoritative, conventional advice. Before that, I held off diabetes from insulin resistance for ten years, then held off requiring insulin for an additional ten years. I have eaten carbs, protein and fats in moderate amounts throughout. I ignored anyone who told me bacon was bad for me.

You had surgery with your doctor's guidance to get you started as well, correct?
    (and you look fabulous)

OP: there's also a PCOS group.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

The women there are wonderful, and have a lot of information to share.

fwiw: I eat a low glycemic load diet (mostly resembles south beach/Mediterranean diet).
    I don't have PCOS or insulin resistance, nor am I over weight. I think it helps me stay at a good weight.

Good luck to you OP. You'll find what works for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Weight loss will do that by default, good for you......

I'm referring to the diet aspect and not lifestyle. A very good friend of mine is a Dr. and has exercised regularly most of her life as part of the maintenance for her diabetes and is not overweight, probably most would say she's thin. She's followed the low GI and other authoritative regimens throughout and she still required insulin injections to manage her blood sugar levels. We always talk about health, because I'm a nutritional a geek that way and 5 yrs ago after a terrible time with her diabetes I suggested that she reduce her carbs to very low levels, reduce the amount of wine she drank, increase her protein and fat to compensate. Just to let you know this didn't happen overnight because her views on fat and cholesterol prevented her from understanding the benefit of going very low carb which was based on authoritative etched in stone in your face conventional dogma. Anyway after many many emailed scientific studies to support my view she decided to try it. She no longer takes injections and her blood sugar are normal and is off medication.

Personally if controlling blood sugar is key, and then reducing it to very low levels shouldn't sound like a foreign language, but on an authoritative level, that could appear to be too restrictive based on low carb studies on lipid profiles, renal function, and long term metabolic effects of very low carbohydrate diets are unclear and the dogma surrounding so they just don't go there. I would suspect that will change in time, but that doesn't mean it can't be implemented, only a little critical thinking and some research is required imo.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    If you are insuline resistant, do yourself a favour and do not follow random miracle diets you read about. Either talk to your dr and ask for a sample meal plan, or try the American Diabetes association. Here: www.diabetes.org. They have plain and simple instructions on how to change your lifestyle and eating habits and their advice not only is effective, but actually much simpler to follow than most special "diets" you will google about.
    Not really, most of their recipes are geared to lower carbs but most of their diet plans are well over 100g's a day, some as much as 200 on a calorie reduced diet. Nothing wrong with taking a more aggressive stance on carbs, it is a disease after all and reducing carbs to low levels help tremendously and is more effect, especially for women with PCOS as well. You simply fell for the appeal to authority card.

They are giving medical advice, that will help someone deal with their illness, in an effective way that does not require unnecessary sacrifices. As someone who has PCOS and is insuline resistant, I feel far more reassured by following my dr's advice (which is exactly the same as the one in the link I posted by the way), than treating carbs as the devil, or following other advice found on dr google, miracle diets from people sellign books, or following anecdotal stories about what worked for strangers. PCOS and insuline resistance are medical issues, that have been around a long time, and how to deal with them is hardly a mystery to the medical community. Every endocrinologist I have seen the last 20+ years, gave me pretty much the same simple guidelines. And yet there are countless miracle diets and weird cures all over the internet. I wonder which one to trust for a medical problem, the dr or the internet... Tough decision.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    If you are insuline resistant, do yourself a favour and do not follow random miracle diets you read about. Either talk to your dr and ask for a sample meal plan, or try the American Diabetes association. Here: www.diabetes.org. They have plain and simple instructions on how to change your lifestyle and eating habits and their advice not only is effective, but actually much simpler to follow than most special "diets" you will google about.
    Not really, most of their recipes are geared to lower carbs but most of their diet plans are well over 100g's a day, some as much as 200 on a calorie reduced diet. Nothing wrong with taking a more aggressive stance on carbs, it is a disease after all and reducing carbs to low levels help tremendously and is more effect, especially for women with PCOS as well. You simply fell for the appeal to authority card.

They are giving medical advice, that will help someone deal with their illness, in an effective way that does not require unnecessary sacrifices. As someone who has PCOS and is insuline resistant, I feel far more reassured by following my dr's advice (which is exactly the same as the one in the link I posted by the way), than treating carbs as the devil, or following other advice found on dr google, miracle diets from people sellign books, or following anecdotal stories about what worked for strangers. PCOS and insuline resistance are medical issues, that have been around a long time, and how to deal with them is hardly a mystery to the medical community. Every endocrinologist I have seen the last 20+ years, gave me pretty much the same simple guidelines. And yet there are countless miracle diets and weird cures all over the internet. I wonder which one to trust for a medical problem, the dr or the internet... Tough decision.
    Carry on then.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    To add anecdotal stories to why consulting with a dr is always a good idea when making decisions affecting health, including the simple decision to follow a new diet quiet different than the one previously followed, a relative of mine, who was for the last several years on a very low carb diet (something between Atkins and paleo, mostly Atkins), without once in all these years talking to a dr, recently was diagnosed with gout. His fear was developing diabetes, hence the choice of diet, he ended up with something different and rather painful. A simple dr consultation would have told him a long time ago that this specific diet might work for others, but was not safe for him.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    To add anecdotal stories to why consulting with a dr is always a good idea when making decisions affecting health, including the simple decision to follow a new diet quiet different than the one previously followed, a relative of mine, who was for the last several years on a very low carb diet (something between Atkins and paleo, mostly Atkins), without once in all these years talking to a dr, recently was diagnosed with gout. His fear was developing diabetes, hence the choice of diet, he ended up with something different and rather painful. A simple dr consultation would have told him a long time ago that this specific diet might work for others, but was not safe for him.
    Most if not all people that I've known with gout were not on a low carb diet, but I understand where your coming from, disease and ill health should be diagnosed by a Dr. and fortunately I've got one that understands nutrition pretty well, most don't.
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sadly, my endocrinologist (the one treating me for pre-diabetes) actually said to eat 3 square meals a day. And if I'm going to eat junk food, eat It after I'm done with the meal. No snacking AT ALL! yeah. He's a quack. No other provider in my area though. He's the go to man around here. He even founded the diabetes center in my area, and the nutritionist I used to see said that although he tells them to tell patients the same thing, her degree says otherwise. He's a moron. So yes, doctors should be the one to go to about healthy eating. The problem is they are only human too!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    You had surgery with your doctor's guidance to get you started as well, correct?

Not quite. I've been successful at holding type 2 diabetes at bay (but not lost weight) for over twenty years by following conventional advice.

The first ten years I was pre-diabetic, and remained so by controlling my diet as a diabetic would.

The next ten years I controlled diabetes through a combination of diet and Metformin, but did not lose weight.

After gaining another ten pounds, I could not control blood sugar with Metformin and diet alone, and we started to look at other options. I was referred to the bariatric program.

I lost thirty pounds following conventional advice from a dietitian.

I had the surgery and had immediate reversal of diabetic symptoms. This is a known benefit from bariatric surgery and it is not completely explained by weight loss alone.

I've been conventionally losing weight ever since, eating a moderate amount of carbohydrates and all the other macros.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I should point out that even though weight is a risk factor in developing type 2 diabetes, it is not the only factor involved. My diabetes could come back even if I am thin.
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just ordered this book. I am a type 1 diabetic for 24 years now and my dr told me that I am also insulin resistant. A recent trip to my dermatologist and she told me that she suspects I have PCOS as well. I have been eating 1400-1500 calories and working out for at least an hour 5 days a week since September and have barely lost any weight. I am hoping that this book helps me!
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    I just ordered this book. I am a type 1 diabetic for 24 years now and my dr told me that I am also insulin resistant. A recent trip to my dermatologist and she told me that she suspects I have PCOS as well. I have been eating 1400-1500 calories and working out for at least an hour 5 days a week since September and have barely lost any weight. I am hoping that this book helps me!

Good luck Jamie! My fingers are crossed for you. I'd love to have you as a friend to keep encouraging each other. :)
  • gshillitani
    gshillitani Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started with the system in this book today, so we'll see what happens! I have what has been called Metabolic Syndrome and Syndrome X, which is a combination of type II diabetes, high blood pressure, a lot of fat around the waist, and high cholesterol. After controlling the diabetes for 15 years with Metformin, my blood sugars and a1c's are getting worse and I'm spilling protein (which requires taking yet another medicine). I'm trying to avoid having to take insulin. I also have PCOS.

While reading the book, it seems to explain why I gained weight on Jenny Craig. I'm still figuring out the link and balance system. It is a bit challenging for me. Ok more than a bit :wink: The one complaint I have about the book is that they do not list serving sizes for the recipes. How do you divide an unknown quantity of food into 4 or 6 or 9 servings? Has anyone figured that out?

I take entirely too much medication for the diseases I listed (and other medical problems), and I have some physical limitations that are exacerbated by my weight. I also have limitations on aerobic activity (I have to keep my pulse rate under 100 basically). This affects how much and what type of exercise I can do, but for now I will be walking on a treadmill (it will be delivered on Saturday) and following a set of yoga DVDs called Yoga for Inflexible People. The early routines are done in a chair and you move on from there. I feel like a total loser when I end up getting tired and sweaty from 30 minutes of chair based yoga :blush: , but hopefully that will improve. I hope to be able to do some strength training at some point.

Its nice to find you all :smiley: Sorry this has gotten so long!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Not quite. I've been successful at holding type 2 diabetes at bay (but not lost weight) for over twenty years by following conventional advice.

The first ten years I was pre-diabetic, and remained so by controlling my diet as a diabetic would.

The next ten years I controlled diabetes through a combination of diet and Metformin, but did not lose weight.

After gaining another ten pounds, I could not control blood sugar with Metformin and diet alone, and we started to look at other options. I was referred to the bariatric program.

I lost thirty pounds following conventional advice from a dietitian.

I had the surgery and had immediate reversal of diabetic symptoms. This is a known benefit from bariatric surgery and it is not completely explained by weight loss alone.

I've been conventionally losing weight ever since, eating a moderate amount of carbohydrates and all the other macros.
    I've heard that about the surgery, yes. Glad it's worked for you.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    I just started with the system in this book today, so we'll see what happens! I have what has been called Metabolic Syndrome and Syndrome X, which is a combination of type II diabetes, high blood pressure, a lot of fat around the waist, and high cholesterol. After controlling the diabetes for 15 years with Metformin, my blood sugars and a1c's are getting worse and I'm spilling protein (which requires taking yet another medicine). I'm trying to avoid having to take insulin. I also have PCOS.

While reading the book, it seems to explain why I gained weight on Jenny Craig. I'm still figuring out the link and balance system. It is a bit challenging for me. Ok more than a bit :wink: The one complaint I have about the book is that they do not list serving sizes for the recipes. How do you divide an unknown quantity of food into 4 or 6 or 9 servings? Has anyone figured that out?

I take entirely too much medication for the diseases I listed (and other medical problems), and I have some physical limitations that are exacerbated by my weight. I also have limitations on aerobic activity (I have to keep my pulse rate under 100 basically). This affects how much and what type of exercise I can do, but for now I will be walking on a treadmill (it will be delivered on Saturday) and following a set of yoga DVDs called Yoga for Inflexible People. The early routines are done in a chair and you move on from there. I feel like a total loser when I end up getting tired and sweaty from 30 minutes of chair based yoga :blush: , but hopefully that will improve. I hope to be able to do some strength training at some point.

Its nice to find you all :smiley: Sorry this has gotten so long!

That's not sad at all, our workouts need to start somewhere, right? Great job even doing 30 minutes. Beats me. I feel pathetic. I haven't worked out in weeks. I need some support. I have requested you as a friend. All those medications will soon be gone if you keep up the Good work. As for the dividing the portions, I just write carbs and protein for each item and then divide into as many servings as it will make. Seems to work for me. I find I do best with a pen and notepad left on the counter 24/7 and write calories, protein and carbs only. Linking isn't the hard part, its the ratio balancing I think.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I thought the book was a bit contradictory in places and was a little vague on quite a few points, but the bottom line (30g carbs per every 15g protein, I think it was, and only protein if eating again within a 90-minute time period) does make sense for a diabetic or pre-diabetic, as fewer carbs at any one sitting do tend to keep insulin in better control.

As for the pairing-proteins part, I found (taking my blood glucose) that it delayed but did not significantly reduce (ultimately) my final blood glucose reading (at 60 minutes, then 90 minutes) as compared to meals with controlled carbs but less or minimal protein.

The protein portion, for me at least, helped control my appetite a bit. So I'll say that much for it.

I don't really do IR anymore, but I do still stick with the principle of adding a protein, again, more for the appetite control (for me).
  • gshillitani
    gshillitani Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have no problem with the nutrition values, since MFP does that for me... what I have trouble with is dividing the cooked item into X portions. I cooked one recipe last night, turkey breast tenders parmesan. It is for 4 servings, but how do you determine how much one serving is when looking at a pan full of food?

I'm sure I'll get better at linking and balancing as I go along :smile:
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I would really recommend that you get a food scale if you don't have one already. It will take time to learn portions but it will start to make more sense. Your hand can also be a good guide. Generally your portion of meat/protein will be about the size of your palm (weighed out we're talking 3-4oz). With IR, your portion of starchy carb will be similar, perhaps half the size of your fist (the weight would vary, I look for how much would give me about 30g of carbohydrate). Then fill up the rest of your plate with fruits and veggies and that would make for a pretty good meal. I am always sure to include fat as well, which in this case you are getting from the cheese (and whatever cooking method you followed).
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I thought the book was a bit contradictory in places and was a little vague on quite a few points, but the bottom line (30g carbs per every 15g protein, I think it was, and only protein if eating again within a 90-minute time period) does make sense for a diabetic or pre-diabetic, as fewer carbs at any one sitting do tend to keep insulin in better control.

As for the pairing-proteins part, I found (taking my blood glucose) that it delayed but did not significantly reduce (ultimately) my final blood glucose reading (at 60 minutes, then 90 minutes) as compared to meals with controlled carbs but less or minimal protein.

The protein portion, for me at least, helped control my appetite a bit. So I'll say that much for it.

I don't really do IR anymore, but I do still stick with the principle of adding a protein, again, more for the appetite control (for me).

I'm curious, did you ever look at the effects of fat in your meals on blood glucose over time?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I'm curious, did you ever look at the effects of fat in your meals on blood glucose over time?

You know, no, I didn't. Maybe I should do that.