After MFP

lmr0528
lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello all, I'm 26 years old, 5'5 and weigh anywhere between 144-148. I've been active on MFP for about 3 years, (2 accounts). While I'm glad that I found this site, part of me also wishes that I never had. I have learned a lot, created good habits, found healthier foods to eat and all around live a healthier life. All of that, I am glad about. From being on this site, it has made me worry so much more about every little thing that I put into my mouth. I can no longer enjoy food the way that I used to. I know "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change." I do indulge every now and then... (like a Brazilian Steakhouse last week, OMG protein overload!). For the most part my days all look the same. Breakfast is always a fruit smoothie, Quest bar snack, lunch of soup or leftovers from dinner that I made the night before, afternoon snack of cheese or vegetables or both, then homemade dinner at home, except for the 1 night a week date night with the hubby :-).

I see food now, and think of numbers. How much calories does this have, how much sodium? Protein? Carbs? Etc. I don't want to live my life like this, constantly thinking of numbers, the number on the scale, body measurements, and calories. I so want to live a life without MFP.

Since joining this site, not too much has changed, physically. The scale has fluctuated like usual, lose a few pounds then gain the few pounds back. It has never moved drastically in either direction, despite being spot on with my calories & workouts. And before anyone says it, yes I have a food scale, have had it for quite awhile, and anything that is prepared in my kitchen gets weighed & measured accurately.

Being that nothing has ever really changed, I've decided that I need to wean myself away from this site, away from the feeling that I NEED it to be healthy. I am slowly realizing that I do not need it, as long as I keep the healthy habits that I've created, which I fully plan on doing. I do not need to constantly total up numbers for foods that I am eating. And even if I did gain a little bit, I know it's not the end of the world. My husband, family and friends will always love me and be there for me no matter what. And who really cares if I don't have that super flat stomach!! I've realized over the years how much I love working out, love challenging myself, and even enjoy eating healthy foods that I never thought I would like.

I'm nervous but looking forward to a world without MFP in the future. I don't want my future children seeing more focused on all these numbers so much that they start to worry also about themselves and not get to have the childhood that they deserve. All I want is to be happy and enjoy my life, we're only given one, so we all need to make sure that we live it to it's fullest.

Just some thoughts that I've been thinking about lately and wanted to share :-)

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Hello all, I'm 26 years old, 5'5 and weigh anywhere between 144-148. I've been active on MFP for about 3 years, (2 accounts). While I'm glad that I found this site, part of me also wishes that I never had. I have learned a lot, created good habits, found healthier foods to eat and all around live a healthier life. All of that, I am glad about. From being on this site, it has made me worry so much more about every little thing that I put into my mouth. I can no longer enjoy food the way that I used to. I know "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change." I do indulge every now and then... (like a Brazilian Steakhouse last week, OMG protein overload!). For the most part my days all look the same. Breakfast is always a fruit smoothie, Quest bar snack, lunch of soup or leftovers from dinner that I made the night before, afternoon snack of cheese or vegetables or both, then homemade dinner at home, except for the 1 night a week date night with the hubby :-).

I see food now, and think of numbers. How much calories does this have, how much sodium? Protein? Carbs? Etc. I don't want to live my life like this, constantly thinking of numbers, the number on the scale, body measurements, and calories. I so want to live a life without MFP.

Since joining this site, not too much has changed, physically. The scale has fluctuated like usual, lose a few pounds then gain the few pounds back. It has never moved drastically in either direction, despite being spot on with my calories & workouts. And before anyone says it, yes I have a food scale, have had it for quite awhile, and anything that is prepared in my kitchen gets weighed & measured accurately.

Being that nothing has ever really changed, I've decided that I need to wean myself away from this site, away from the feeling that I NEED it to be healthy. I am slowly realizing that I do not need it, as long as I keep the healthy habits that I've created, which I fully plan on doing. I do not need to constantly total up numbers for foods that I am eating. And even if I did gain a little bit, I know it's not the end of the world. My husband, family and friends will always love me and be there for me no matter what. And who really cares if I don't have that super flat stomach!! I've realized over the years how much I love working out, love challenging myself, and even enjoy eating healthy foods that I never thought I would like.

I'm nervous but looking forward to a world without MFP in the future. I don't want my future children seeing more focused on all these numbers so much that they start to worry also about themselves and not get to have the childhood that they deserve. All I want is to be happy and enjoy my life, we're only given one, so we all need to make sure that we live it to it's fullest.

Just some thoughts that I've been thinking about lately and wanted to share :-)

Thanks for your thoughtful post. Good luck as you move forward :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    During that time, did you ever take a diet break? Mine helped me avoid having everything you just mentioned happen.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    edited February 2015
    maxit, thanks for the support. Liftng4Lis, yes I have taken breaks before. It hasn't seemed to help me in the past. I'm that it worked for you though.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2015
    I wish you complete success with whichever direction you decide to take in life.
    Should you leave and decide to return in the future at any point, you know MyFitnesspal will be here and as welcoming as always!
    If not, I'm positive you will find a lifestyle that works best for you.

My main piece of advice for anybody is that this lifestlye change needs to be both physical and psychological. If you feel to be suffering psychologically due to logging, I wish you all the best in however you decide to go about continuing the healthy lifestyle that I'm positive you've built up whilst you've been here!

Again, make the most of life and enjoy every second. I wish you all the very best!

Adam
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    I wish you complete success with whichever direction you decide to take in life.
    Should you leave and decide to return in the future at any point, you know MyFitnesspal will be here and as welcoming as always!
    If not, I'm positive you will find a lifestyle that works best for you.

My main piece of advice for anybody is that this lifestlye change needs to be both physical and psychological. If you feel to be suffering psychologically due to logging, I wish you all the best in however you decide to go about continuing the healthy lifestyle that I'm positive you've built up whilst you've been here!

Again, make the most of life and enjoy every second. I wish you all the very best!

Adam

Thanks Adam, I'll be here until I reach my goal and the second I find myself going back to those awful, unhealthy problems...... I'll be back (cuz' I'm only human).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    MFP is a tool. It reads as though you no longer need it. You have the skills and knowledge to self regulate so stop logging and enjoy food once again, knowing you can always return for a refresher course.
    Congratulations, you have graduated from MFP and are ready to go it alone.

I have been maintaining for over 5 years and come back to MFP if I have a significant change, I started heavy lifting and had to work out my new calories as I started losing, or just to refresh my portion sizes.

Have fun with food,
    Cheers, h.