Obsessed?

Options
"Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated".
I like this quote, but after my 14th day of cardio I was thinking...although I know this is good for me, am I obsessed? Is it affecting my life in a negative way? Is there something else I should be doing? I kept answering no, but...would an addict know otherwise :wink:

Alright community...lets hear from ya

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Dedication relates to meeting a goal, addiction/obsession relates to obtaining a chemical ‘high.’
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Depending on how intense the cardio is....your body does need rest. Rest is important.

That being said, a lot of people need a new frame of reference. Everything is relative. A lot of people on my Facebook think I am crazy. However, I follow a lot of the elite obstacle course racers on social media and to me they are crazy. I think the people on my Facebook would think they are super human haha! Listen to a few Spartan Up podcasts and/or read the book and your frame of reference will be shattered. Pushing your limits is the only way to grow and expand. Of course there are breaking points. But too many people like to stay in the box....
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Most people think I am out of my mind. I just have goals. Granted there is a definite element of addiction in there since I go off-the-wall bouncy on days I purposely take as a rest day. I miss my exercise-induced endorphins
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Oh God no! My cardio is enough to clear my head, wake me up and make me need a quick shower but nothing intense or I would not do it everyday. I realize my 30 mins on the bike might be someones warm-up.

When I get running in the spring (too dangerous now in our Winter) I will not be able to run consecutive days, but the bike or elliptical is pretty easy on the joints and I have really taken to making it a daily habit.

Also my goal is to form a habit. I have never enjoyed cardio, and for me it was a means to an end. This is one of the few times in my life where cardio is more enjoyable than weight lifting....that is a huge paradigm shift for me

I was more wondering how people responded to their own personal choice to workout daily etc...Does the quote resonate with you? Ever question your own dedication vs obsession.
  • riffraff2112
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Most people think I am out of my mind. I just have goals. Granted there is a definite element of addiction in there since I go off-the-wall bouncy on days I purposely take as a rest day. I miss my exercise-induced endorphins

That is what I am talking about!
  • glevinso
    Options
    Understand that I am hitting "cardio" 1.5-2 hours a day every day, 4+/day on weekends. Usually I take Monday as a rest day, at least now that it is winter. In-season that won't happen as I need that day for more training.

:)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with actual compulsive exercise (exercise bulimia) in the past. For me, there is a very clear distinction between dedication and compulsion. To an outsider, both might appear as "obsession." When peaking for a marathon, I am probably doing more in a week than I did at my sickest. The difference is all in the mindset, all in the "working out makes my life better and me happier" versus "I can't have life until I have worked out/burned enough calories to make my brain stop screaming my guilt and I am miserable even then."

But all this is invisible from the outside.
  • riffraff2112
    Options
    I've struggled with actual compulsive exercise (exercise bulimia) in the past. For me, there is a very clear distinction between dedication and compulsion. To an outsider, both might appear as "obsession." When peaking for a marathon, I am probably doing more in a week than I did at my sickest. The difference is all in the mindset, all in the "working out makes my life better and me happier" versus "I can't have life until I have worked out/burned enough calories to make my brain stop screaming my guilt and I am miserable even then."

But all this is invisible from the outside.

That sounds exactly like how I learned about it in my Sports Psych Classes!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Understand that I am hitting "cardio" 1.5-2 hours a day every day, 4+/day on weekends. Usually I take Monday as a rest day, at least now that it is winter. In-season that won't happen as I need that day for more training.

You rock! What do you train for? I'm up to 1.5-2 hrs 5x a week. But pretty much everything I do is cardio + weights and trail running. I unfortunately need those two rest days at the moment. Scaling up. Prepping for obstacle course season. My big goal is a 16mile course on Mt Killington w/ an avg completion time of 8hrs. So excited.

OP - yes I love the quote. I hate when people tell me I'm doing too much or try to tell me what is or isn't right. All I hear is jealousy and resentment.

If your doing what you love and listening to your body, go for it!!!! Your only limitation is your own mind.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I've been an obsessed runner since 2009 :)
  • glevinso
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

You rock! What do you train for? I'm up to 1.5-2 hrs 5x a week. But pretty much everything I do is cardio + weights and trail running. I unfortunately need those two rest days at the moment. Scaling up. Prepping for obstacle course season. My big goal is a 16mile course on Mt Killington w/ an avg completion time of 8hrs. So excited.

Triathlon. Got my third full Ironman coming up at the end of June. Lots of half-Iron and shorter races planned for this year as well.